Reader
Gracefriend
0 Kudos

Enormously confusing NOOK for PC

Dear gurus of NOOK,

I've just started using the NOOK program for the PC, and it's really confusing to me.  Can anyone explain to me what the idea is behind the "archive" concept?  As far as I can tell, I can read an archived book on my NOOK for PC by downloading a "local copy" even though it's technically still archived.  Similarly, I may not be able to read an "All Items" (misnomered as it is,) as I have not downloaded a "local copy"  So if archive versus not archived has no bearing on the ability for me to read a book, what the heck is the point of this categorisation?  It's a very confusing information hierarchy system and makes absolutely no sense!   I'd like to keep separate books on my NOOK for PC and my physical NOOK, and I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  The NOOK for PC interface is simply very poorly constructed.

I also have a phsyical e-ink NOOK, and here's what I would like to do:

1.) Keep some books on NOOK, and "archive" the rest, which to me is like "deleting" a book on my old Kindle.  (Nevermind the fact that Kindle handles removing books from my e-reader much better than NOOK does, as some of my archived books don't seem to disappear from my e-ink NOOK)

2.) Have the entire "library" at my disposal on the cloud

3.) Download selected books from the cloud to my NOOK on PC (even those that I may have "archived")

Instead of this very simple procedure, I have NOOK on PC, which, under My Library, includes the following categorizations:

1.) All Items (~30) - which apparently reflects the items I have on my physical NOOK, NOT,mind you, what I have on my PC

2.) Archived (~40) books, which I think are books that I've "archived" from my physical NOOK

What's really confusing is apparently archived versus all items does not in any way reflect what I can read on my NOOK for PC.  For example, I can download a local copy of my archived books, which doesn't move it to the "All Items" category, but I take it means I can now read it.  That's great, except there is no way for me to know which of the archived books I've downloaded--there's no "on your PC" category.  So if I'm on a flight, away from internet access, I basically have to click randomly on my archived books until one of them opens, at which point, I'm guessing, I'm reminded that I in fact downloaded a local copy.  My other option is to unarchive a book, which moves it to "All Items."  But presumably this means on my physical NOOK, the formerly archived book has also been restored, cluttering my physical NOOK library page. 

Can anyone explain what the idea behind archived is, and if there's any way for me to see what local books I have on NOOK PC without moving them to "All Items"?  And can someone explain why it's called "All Items" when it's clearly the "non-archived"/on my physical NOOK items?

Thanks!  And apologies for the very confusing post above--hopefully it shows the frustration I'm dealing with on this program!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Enormously confusing NOOK for PC

First, what happens regarding archiving on the Nook happens on Nook for PC and vice versa.  There's no way to keep the two separate, and if the next update is as promised, all devices will be synced so if you read a book on the Nook for PC and then open it on the Nook and the Nook has at some pointed connected via WiFi or 3G, then Nook should open to the same place.

Archiving gets the book off the Nook, with the Nook for PC, it simply moves it out of the All items/eBooks area into the archive area.  It doesn't remove the local copy. On Nook for PC, if you hover your mouse over any book, whether in all items or in archive, if it doesn't say download, then there's local copy.

Archiving lets you move books off the Nook without deleting them since if you delete a book, it's gone forever unless you buy it again.  I archive books once I've read them, that way I still have them, I can connect and download back to the Nook if I want, but I haven't deleted from My Library.

Reader
Gracefriend
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, but by the way, the Blackberry version of the B&N reader doesn't seem to have the same issue about "archived" versus "downloaded" versus "all items."  In fact, in your last paragraph, you exactly highlight the confusing classification problem which frustrates me.  

Why should I have to infer, by hovering over a title, that if an archived book doesn't say "download," I can read it on my PC?  What kind of poor design decision is that?  How much easier would it be if NOOK for PC just had a section called "Books on the PC" that are the books I'm able to read immediately?  How is it possible that the concepts of "archived" "downloaded" aren't tethered?  What's the definition of "archived" if I can in fact download it onto my PC and read it, which, I would guess, means it's in fact NOT archived?

The problem is that if I have, say, 100 books on the Nook library, I may only want a subset on my e-ink NOOK.  However, I may want to download more on my PC, for back-up or what have you. So I'm on a plane or traveling somewhere without immediate wi-fi access, I basically have to hunt and peck randomly through my "archived" books to figure out where I have local copies.  Is that really the design intention?  Is there someone from the PC NOOK design team who can illuminate this design choice? 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Gracefriend wrote:

Thanks for the response, but by the way, the Blackberry version of the B&N reader doesn't seem to have the same issue about "archived" versus "downloaded" versus "all items."  In fact, in your last paragraph, you exactly highlight the confusing classification problem which frustrates me.  

Why should I have to infer, by hovering over a title, that if an archived book doesn't say "download," I can read it on my PC?  What kind of poor design decision is that?  How much easier would it be if NOOK for PC just had a section called "Books on the PC" that are the books I'm able to read immediately?  How is it possible that the concepts of "archived" "downloaded" aren't tethered?  What's the definition of "archived" if I can in fact download it onto my PC and read it, which, I would guess, means it's in fact NOT archived?

The problem is that if I have, say, 100 books on the Nook library, I may only want a subset on my e-ink NOOK.  However, I may want to download more on my PC, for back-up or what have you. So I'm on a plane or traveling somewhere without immediate wi-fi access, I basically have to hunt and peck randomly through my "archived" books to figure out where I have local copies.  Is that really the design intention?  Is there someone from the PC NOOK design team who can illuminate this design choice? 

I'm somewhat confused at this point, but are you saying you want the archived books removed from the PC?  All of my archived books are on my PC, I want them there.  The archived books don't show on my Nook because I've got them hidden therefore, the subset of books, (ie the unarchived books) are on the Nook.  On my PC, Nook for PC is divided into books and archive.  I know all the archived books are on the PC because I made sure of it.

Sorry, I guess I really don't understand the problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 526 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: