Reader
nookvskindle2
0 Kudos

Error when trying to use desktop eReader for the first time

I am getting the following error when trying to use the desktop eReader for the first time:

"We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time - please try again later. (Sign in: 1001)"

I have tried for several hours and have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Any suggestions?

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Re: Error when trying to use desktop eReader for the first time

Check to ensure your user name (email address) and password match your B&N account.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nookvskindle2,

Are you still experiencing that error message after checking your account username and password? 

You may call Customer Service toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.  

Please let us know what the outcome was.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
nookvskindle2
0 Kudos

Yes, I am still experiencing the same problem. I am able to log into my account online just fine, but keep getting the same error message on the desktop application.  Even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nookvskindle2,

I am looking into this for you.

FYI....

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
nookvskindle2
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help. I did take your suggestion and called the customer help desk. After keeping me on hold for 21 minutes they told me it must be my computer because it is a work computer, but offerred no help.  I have no other issues accessing downloaded applications and I turned my proxy off and it still did not work.  I am trying to make the decision between buying a nook or buying a kindle and the software for the kindle is working just fine on my computer.  I am really leaning towards getting the nook but only if I can get the software working on my computer so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nookvskindle2,

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.  I am looking into this on my end.  FYI....

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
nookvskindle2
0 Kudos

Were you able to find anything to help me?

Thanks.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nookvskindle2,

I have the DS group looking into this for you, but I do appreciate your patience.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
kaidyn08
0 Kudos

Having same issue, when I called they said that it was my fire wall.  Since the program is allowed through my firewall, they told me to use it on different computer, like work, but that I would not be able to use it at home.  Has anything been found out to help?  Have a Vista computer with plenty of space left for memory, but getting frustrated.

Correspondent
Lugaid_Llyr
0 Kudos

Spent 2 hrs with Support today abot this, they decided to delete a book from my library that is on loan  wait 24 hr & see if the problem fixes itself. They seem at a loss for ideas. This was a last ditch suggestion from a supervisor. I'm not hopeful.

Any help Michael?

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - Herbert George Wells
New User
LappedDog
0 Kudos

I am receiving the same error (1001).  I am suspecting that it has to do with the proxy server at work, but I have no way of diagnosing or correcting.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am interested in buying a nook, but wanted to test drive the PC reader.  I am glad I did, but am eager to find a solution.

New User
Durandal16
0 Kudos

I was able to correct the problem on my PC. 

In my case at least, it turns out that my McAfee anti-virus was blocking the internet connection. Specifically, I have VirusScan Enterprise and I had to permit the eReader to access the Internet through the McAfee "Access Protection" application.

I guess the error is generic and means that "something" is preventing the eReader from connecting to the Internet. In my case it was McAfee, in your case it could be a local firewall, an anti-virus, or simply a corporate Internet proxy.

Durandal

New User
svizzero
0 Kudos

This issue seems to be pretty common.  The B&N reader application is unable to deal with a proxy.  I also called support and got the run around about it must be the PC configuration.  It is a drawback in the B&N reader.  Despite the claim from B&N that you can read anywhere ( I quote here "Access your eBook library anytime, anywhere"  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp ), you obviously can't.  I was also promised by the support manager that it would be escalated.  So far nothing, which seems to be the experience that others have had.  Pretty lousy software and even worse service considering that these issues have been put in front of since B&N since Aug 2009.

B&N when are you going to either fix the issue or admit openly that the requirements for the reader include no proxy and remove the false claim !!!!

Contributor
rose00
0 Kudos

HI,

I just recently bought Nook, and I downloaded ereader for PC to read books from my computer  at breaktime, and I am getting the same Error Code 1001. I saw several threads for this issue, but no resolutions were seen. I just wanted to ask if the issue was ever resolved.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
Robocheme
0 Kudos

I'm getting the same error message and, yes, I am at work.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 169 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: