Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

Followup to still waiting....for iPad reader

I posted on the apple iPad board about the BN app not being released and the "rumor" of apple delaying it, One of the responses I got said that the app is already available at the Canadian iTunes store. So WHY is it not available here in the US??? Obviously it is not Apple that is delaying it if they approved it for another iTunes store.
Contributor
jeankap
0 Kudos

Re: Followup to still waiting....for iPad reader

I just checked.  There are no iPad apps in the Canadian iTunes store, as the iPad has not been released in Canada.

The only B&N ereader there is for the iphone, ipod touch.

The silence from B&N on the subject has become rather deafening, however.

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

There's no way they'd release it Internationally first. I will say I'm really bummed at how long they are taking to get it out there though. I love my nook, but B&N has lost a number of sales to iBooks and Amazon from me as I travel a ton and am only carrying my iPad right now.

Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

Re: Followup to still waiting....for iPad reader - nothing coming soon!!!

Like Teski, B&N has also lost recent sales to me also. I read the Stephen King novella "Blockade Billy" and had to use the B&N iPhone app on the iPad and my eyes hurt from the pixelated text.

I sent an email to customer service and their response was something to the effect of "we don't have any release date yet", which to me means it will not be released in the immediate future. (So much for "beginning of May"!!!)

And since Apple has approved apps for Kindle and Kobo, I don't believe it is a conspiracy by Apple/Jobs to delay the BN Reader.

So I guess I will just have to continue to use the iBooks and Kindle apps and hold off reading the stuff in my B&N Library (that I bought when I still had the Nook). Too bad, since the selection at the iBookstore is not as extensive as B&N and there still seems to be some authors/publishers who don't release ebooks at Amazon but do at B&N.

Hopefully EVENTUALLY B&N will get their act together. Very disappointed.

jrp
Contributor
jrp
0 Kudos

As I have said elsewhere, B&N said that an Ipad App would be ready when the Ipad launched in April. Then it said it would be ready by April 17 and then another announcement by the beginning of May. The lack of an Ipad App now six weeks after the launch of the device is nothing short of pathetic, eclipsed only by B&N's silence on the subject.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

The get rid of your iPad and buy a nook.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

Very helpful suggestion John. Thanks for contributing to my thread. BTW I had a Nook and really liked it, but could not see the necessity of having both the iPad and the Nook.
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Very good. You may continue complaining.

John

Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
And why oh why John do you bother to even reply to these threads since you obviously love and are very happy with your Nook and have no interest in the topic of the thread whatsoever??? I have been a loyal customer to B&N both with ebooks and their regular stores and have a good number of ebooks that I would like to read on my device of preference. We understand that it is not YOUR device of preference, but may not hold true for everyone who posts in this forum. This is after all NOT a NOOMpK FORUM.
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I don't know how you got that from my post. As I said, continue your complaining.

John

Frequent Contributor
ahintz
0 Kudos

I own both an iPad and a nook and am anxious to see an iPad version of the B&N eReader app released. I enjoy reading on my nook, but I often have only my iPad with me, and I'd love to be able to read my books on both devices. It is too bad that we're nearing the end of May without the iPad software being released. :smileysad:

jrp
Contributor
jrp
0 Kudos

B&N stock is in the toilet. They are looking to close stores because they are behind the times when it comes to marketing and giving the public what it wants. The lack of an Ipad App is a very good example of their lack of initiative. Their silence on a release date is particularly pathetic, given the fact that they announced in early March that it would be ready when the Ipad launched on April 3. And I can't believe the problem lies with Apple, a competitor of B&N in the ebook market, because Apple has approved several Ipad ebook readers, including Amazon's Kindle, which was available for download on April 3. Just think of the number of sales B&N lost because it was behind the proverbial eight ball on this one.

New User
Davelishes
0 Kudos

In January B&N said they were putting together a team of 14 people to redesign the reader for the iPad.

I would have been much more happy, if they put just one person in charge of making the old app look good on the bigger iPad screen.

This seems doable. And now almost 2 months after iPad launch we hear nothing from B&N.

I am going to attempt return two of my electronic purchases for a refund

and re-purchase them from a different company so I can read them properly on the iPad.

(I'll let you know how the refund goes if you check back on this thread. I am willing to challenge the charges on my card, too - and take them to small claims court if necessary. Of course, B&N might decide to erase this message - but I doubt they are paying any attention.)

Does anyone had a suggestion for a book vendor that works well with the iPad?

You suggestions appreciated.

New User
Davelishes
0 Kudos

(Come to think of it, I might try returning my entire electronic library for a refund. If they promised an iPad version in May - and no iPad version in may then why should we suffer?)

I'll take the refund money and re-buy the same selections at a vendor that supports the iPad.

Frequent Contributor
Robocheme
0 Kudos

I own a nook and I've ordered an iPad.  Is it correct to assume that if I buy an ebook from B&N, I can download it to both devices?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Robocheme wrote:

I own a nook and I've ordered an iPad.  Is it correct to assume that if I buy an ebook from B&N, I can download it to both devices?

The whole point of this thread is that there is no B&N reader software for the iPad.

So, no.

Frequent Contributor
Robocheme
0 Kudos

Well, EXCUSE ME!!!

I don't see what the lack of a iPad ereader has to do with it. Couldn't you use the iPhone app until the iPad app becomes available?

I'll rephase the question - "If orwhen the iPad ereader app becomes available, can I download an ebook from B&N and have it on both my nook and my iPad.".

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Robocheme,

Any book you purchase from B&N can be downloaded and read on any device that supports the B&N eReader and is registered to your account.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Robocheme wrote:

I don't see what the lack of a iPad ereader has to do with it.

Well, um, that's what this thread is about: the lack of an iPad reader.

If you want to ask a question about NOOK and iPhone reader, that's a different topic and belongs in a different thread.

Robocheme wrote:

Couldn't you use the iPhone app until the iPad app becomes available?

You could, but I can't say that I've heard a single kind word about the results.

You could try jailbreaking the iPad, using Cydia, and editing your .plist files to make the iPhone app behave like an iPad app, but the failure rate on that process for most apps seems rather high. One comment on that article says that B&N Reader keeps its original size and gets locked into the upper left corner.

Robocheme wrote:

I'll rephase the question - "If orwhen the iPad ereader app becomes available, can I download an ebook from B&N and have it on both my nook and my iPad.".

Presumably. But don't expect any synchronization between the two. If you read up to page 45 on the iPad, then switch to the NOOK, you'll probably have to hit the page-forward button 44 times. It'd help to keep track of chapters, so you can use "Go to Chapter" to get partway there.

B&N has promised synchronization in the future. They promised an iPad app for April 1 (or 3), too.

New User
GHick
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 298 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: