Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

Free Ebooks, "Token Does Not Exist"

I'm awaiting my nook, so this question is about the PC version of B&N's Ereader.  I've used Ereader for years, but not the Barnes and Noble version, and since I'll be getting a nook, I decided to install B&N's version and explore the online shopping and other specific features.

I understand what the free ebooks are, how they work, etc.  I've successfully downloaded and read the several free book automatically added to my online library.  However, when I try to "purchase" one of the free ebooks (other than the ones added by B&N), in the PC Ereader, it just hangs and does not appear to download and does not open.  If I try to download it from my online library at Barnes and Noble's website, though I do not get an actual error message, my title bar in Firefox changes to "Token cannot be found".

I'm wondering if others have experienced this and know more information.  Should I go back and find a different version of the same book and try again?  Is this, perhaps, a temporary problem?  I've got my eye on quite a few of the free books, so would like to try to solve the problem and know how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: Free Ebooks, "Token Does Not Exist"

Is this your first eBook purchase from Barnes & Noble.com?  If so, do you have a default payment credit card and billing address set up in your account?  Even though the eBook is free, you will still need to have a default payment set up in your account.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Do you have a default credit card in your B&N account?

You have to have a CC designated as the default card, and it has to have accurate info. (Most people recommend leaving middle initial out of name).  

You need this even to "buy" free books.

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

Yes, I have a valid default credit card set up, and I have purchased ebooks with it on B&N before. 

I discovered that all of the books that were giving me the missing "token" message were by the same author, Mary Roberts Reinhardt.  When I later tried downloading a free ebook by Rudyard Kipling, it worked fine.

It must be some issue with the actual books on the GoogleBooks site.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

That definitely seems odd.  Thanks for letting us know.  I'm going to escalate this information and hopefully we'll be able to resolve this issue soon. 

Inspired Contributor
oceans1
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me on Sunday night when I was shopping and purchasing through the website. It did not however stop me from buying, it would just show up in the URL area up at top of screen. I had never noticed it before and wondered what it meant.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Not that uncommon for a web site to have temporary problems.  

This kind of thing gets logged in the server web-logs, and reported by the web site administrators.

Someone forgot to enter a field in the database when entering these books into the catalog. 

Contributor
stacyb27
0 Kudos

Every book that I have tried to download today is giving me the same "Token Does Not Exist".

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

Well, thank you everyone!  It's nice to know it's not just me, though I'm sorry you're also having an issue. Stacy. With your problem, is it just some of the free GoogleBooks, which was what I was experiencing?  Though, the book that did download okay was also from the GoogleBooks collection, so it wasn't their entire site, at least.

Josh, Thanks for escalating the issue so it can be taken care of.  I'll check back in a day or two and try again on those Mary Roberts Reinhardt books ... there were three of those that gave me the "Token" error in the browser's title bar.

--Gayze

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

Update:

I tried again to download the three books that would not work, and all three of them opened fine today.  I'm most pleased, as I've always liked Mary Roberts Reinhardt, and am looking forward to reading her books on my nook when I receive it.  :smileyhappy:

I hope the issues others were having are now resolved as well.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 122 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: