Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

Help me pick a phone that will accept an app.

Hi, I am upgrading my phone with ATT. I would like to get one that will accept a B&N app but I am a little confused on which phones do what.

I like LG Quantum (TM) - Black, I can get it free with a new contract, but is there an app for it?  I did try to check but .....

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Re: Help me pick a phone that will accept an app.

You should check what software its running (ie. Android, Windows mobile, etc.) A quick Google search shows the LG Quantum runs Windows Phone 7, which B&N has not come out with an app for yet. If you want a phone that already has an app that will run, you should get one running Android, a Blackberry, or an iPhone. There is a "beta" app written for the HD2 which can run on any other Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, but you have to do some hunting to find the download.

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

Thanks, I didn't know what windows phone 7 meant. LOL, I'm good with my computer or nook, but I have only used my phone for talking, not reading books.

Have a nice day.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

If you want a phone that already has an app that will run, you should get one running Android, a Blackberry, or an iPhone.

Please note that if you buy an iPhone, the nook app (as well as the Kobo app and the Kindle app) wlll likely be pulled from the iTunes store on July 1 due to Apple's ridiculous demands.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

If you want a phone that already has an app that will run, you should get one running Android, a Blackberry, or an iPhone. 

To build on KingAl's response, you probably don't want a Blackberry, either.

The reader app for Blackberry is the Reader app, not a NOOK app.  It does not work with all books one purchases and reads from B&N (reportedly) and it doesn't reliably sync back to NOOK, either.

I've only used it once or twice, so the above is hearsay, but I wouldn't repeat it were it not from sources I trust, at least a little.

It looks like you want an Android phone of some sort.  Several users here have great luck with their Droid X phones.  I'm currently considering a Samsung Fascinate and while I know the NOOK app exists, I can't find any reviews from someone actually using it.  I doubt I'll ever read much on my phone, but I suppose I do want to know that I could...

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will see what they have in android phones. I don't really intend to do a lot of reading on my phone, I have a classic nook I am very happy with, but it would be nice to know I could access my library if I get caught waiting without Nookiepoo.

Xamier

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Bluefire Reader, which allows you to read library ebooks and other ADE ebooks, should also have an app out for Android this spring, so I think Android would be your best bet.  That's what I plan on getting if Apple follows through with this nonsense -- my first gen iPhone is getting old, so I guess I'm glad all this came to light now, BEFORE I had to replace it!

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

As long as you're considering a smartphone, you might as well go for the Motorola Atrix. It's the best Android phone out there at the moment, and it's surprisingly reasonably priced ($149 on contract).

Contributor
ericmcarson
0 Kudos

It is a sad situation that B&N ignores WP7 and RIM/BB platforms to release a nook app. The BB Torch and all WP7 phones have been available for almost 6 months, and still no nook app. If the nook app does disappear from iTunes, where does that leave B&N? With a bunch of customers checking out the Amazon Kindle app, that's where.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

jaquellae wrote:

Please note that if you buy an iPhone, the nook app (as well as the Kobo app and the Kindle app) wlll likely be pulled from the iTunes store on July 1 due to Apple's ridiculous demands.

@KingAl- excuse my ignorance (I don't own an iPhone, so I'm not familiar with the technical details) but does this mean the Nook app will cease to work for anyone who has already downloaded it, or just that it will no longer be offered through the iTunes store?

I'm weighing the decision right now to get an iPod Touch or wait for a good Android-based PMP with similar functions. One of the points in favor of the Touch was that it could run the Nook app, but if that ability is going away after July 1, I may just bide my time. Maybe see if the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.0 (or whatever they're calling it when it finally hits US stores) fits the bill a little better.

Thanks

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

@KingAl- excuse my ignorance (I don't own an iPhone, so I'm not familiar with the technical details) but does this mean the Nook app will cease to work for anyone who has already downloaded it, or just that it will no longer be offered through the iTunes store?

The app should still work for existing users, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the iOS updates breaks the Kindle/nook/Kobo apps (kind of like what Apple did everytime Palm tweaked their OS to sync with iTunes.)

New User
Fantasy_bookie
0 Kudos

I want to add to that string.

If you are getting a smartphone, or any phone for that matter, be sure that it if you are on ATT or Verizon, that you get a phone that will work with the new 4G LTE service that is coming out. If they don't have one yet, wait. The service will be turned up (running) in many areas by the end of 2011. To be able to take advantage of this service, it will require a hardware upgrade. In other words, your old phone will not take advantage of the faster speeds because parts inside will not work. if you already upgraded, you are still ok. I don't see anyone getting rid of the 3G services anytime soon. It will just be slower.

As far as a choice, it's a matter of what works best for you. I would focus on something that runs the android operating system or the apple operating system. I have an apple, but it's meh. I don't think it would be any different if I had gotten a droid or something like that . I think that my deciding factor for the iPhone was the service ratings. Most people are having good luck with the new 4.  

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

jaquellae wrote:

To build on KingAl's response, you probably don't want a Blackberry, either.

The reader app for Blackberry is the Reader app, not a NOOK app.  It does not work with all books one purchases and reads from B&N (reportedly) and it doesn't reliably sync back to NOOK, either.

I've only used it once or twice, so the above is hearsay, but I wouldn't repeat it were it not from sources I trust, at least a little.

It looks like you want an Android phone of some sort.  Several users here have great luck with their Droid X phones.  I'm currently considering a Samsung Fascinate and while I know the NOOK app exists, I can't find any reviews from someone actually using it.  I doubt I'll ever read much on my phone, but I suppose I do want to know that I could...

Well from a Blackberry user, I personally wouldn't buy an IPhone even if it was the only phone available on Earth.  Also I don't think we should be forced to by an Android phone if that is not what we want.  I currently use a Blackberry Curve and use the Ereader software but it is true that some books on B&N are not in the correct format for this ereader.  On this note, in October I will upgrading my phone and I plan on getting the Blackberry Torch and if B&N can not see fit to FINALLY release a Nook App for the Blackberry at that time, then B&N will be LOSING A CUSTOMER.  I will NOT be told and dictated to as to what phone I can and can not use.  If B&N will not support my choice in smartphones, then I will no longer support B&N.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

xmier, if you are updating a current phone,  you owe it to yourself to visit Amazon Wireless.  They have all the smart phones and deal with all the carriers.

I recently updated to a Samsung Captivate and was able to do everything from the Amazon web site.  Best of all the phone cost .01 and free 2 day shipping.

Doesn't get any better than that!!!!  BTW, the Captivate has been updated to Froyo 2.2....

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 1,029 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: