Contributor
jkatburt
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How to Archive

I want to hide or somehow mark the books I've read and can't find out anything from the manual. Help?

Wordsmith
Michael-V

Re: How to Archive

To archive content:
1 On the Home menu, tap my library.
2 If you are viewing My Documents, tap View My B&N Library.
3 Ensure that archived items are not hidden:
If one of the menus reads Hide archived items, then archived items are already shown.
If the menu reads Show archived items, then tap Show archived items.
4 Navigate to the content item you want to archive. If it is grayed out, it is already archived. If it is not grayed out, you can archive it.
5 Tap Archive.

Below are the instructions that the User Guide contains

*To download the User Guide click on the link below:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf

Archiving B&N Digital Content
B&N digital content can be:
• In your online digital library but not on your nook. The content has been delivered to the online digital library but not downloaded to your nook.

• In your online digital library and on your nook. The content has been delivered to the online digital library and downloaded automatically or manually to your nook. You can download content to multiple devices that are associated with your Barnes & Noble.com account.
• Archived. This content was previously both in the online digital library and on your nook, and has now been deleted from your nook (and other devices associated with your account) and is displayed in gray in My B&N Library.
Free samples and in-store content cannot be archived. Free eBooks can be archived.
Archiving Content
The primary use of archiving is to remove eBooks from your nook. They are deleted from your nook but remain in your online digital library. You can also archive issues of periodicals (including those purchased as single issues and by subscription). If you do not archive periodical issues that are delivered by subscription, they are subject to automatic deletion.

Archiving B&N content does three things:
• It deletes the content from your nook. An eBook is retained in your online digital library. You still own the content and retain the rights to it. A periodical issue is saved (it will not be automatically deleted in the future) and you retain the rights to the issue. To save a copy of a periodical issue delivered by subscription in your online digital library and on your nook, archive the issue and then download it.
• It displays the item in gray in My B&N Library, to indicate that it is not on your nook.
• When other devices associated with your Barnes & Noble.com account synchronize with the online digital library, they also delete the content from the devices.

New User
nvsinwc
0 Kudos

I just tried to retrieve a book I archived and it took 'forever' - I had to try 3x -first it locked up at 39% download; then it locked up at a message saying something like 'available shortly' but whole message didn't display; and now it is locked up at 73% download

any suggestions?

Also, I didn't know that it deleted my periodicals unless I archived them...will do so in future but won't help much if I can't retrieve

New User
freidaSR
0 Kudos

I want to hide the books I've read. How do I do that?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@freidaSR,

Which NOOK App are you using?  NOOK for iPhone?  NOOK for iPad?  NOOK for PC?

New User
Fairbanksy
0 Kudos

why is it so hard to figure out how to delete books on nook?

New User
libbySD
0 Kudos

I have tried to follow these instructions but it will not remove items from my Nook. It does on my pc but does not remove from the nook itself.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

libbySD wrote:

I have tried to follow these instructions but it will not remove items from my Nook. It does on my pc but does not remove from the nook itself.

Are you checking for new content on your nook while connected to wifi?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Fairbanksy wrote:

why is it so hard to figure out how to delete books on nook?

Have you checked the user manual?

If you're having problems with the nook or NOOKColor, you'll get more help on those boards -

Nook general discussion - 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/bd-p/Nook

Nook Q&A support -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/bd-p/nooksupport

NOOKColor -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

New User
jstacy
0 Kudos

On my Nook SimpleTouch, I put the books I have read in archive.  Have the book on the screen.  Touch the middle of the screen. On the bottom tool bar touch "more".  When the title comes up touch "archive".  It was very simple.

Reader
fluff0
0 Kudos

for some reason they dont allow us to delete from the actual nook you have to log on in your b&n account and delet from there.

New User
ljztacoma
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question im hoping someone might know.  I do not have a Nook color yet and was compairing it to the new Kindle Fire today, I believe i still want the nook color, as i feel its a far better system. My question is on Archiving....i understand it archives to your B&N account.  Does that save offsite or is it saved like Itunes on your computer, I ask because i have lost alot on Itunes with my computer crashing.  Just want to know if id have to back up or if B&N is stored off the Hard drive so i woudlnt lose it.  I believe the Amazon Cloud stores off the computer hard drive so that is a plus to me, but the only one.  Hope i make sense, i dont have the right tech words im sure, but i think you get what i mean.  Thanks

Jo

Contributor
MiJeian
0 Kudos

Your account is connected to a B&N "cloud" that is stored through the website, which means that your books (and everything else B&N) are safe and ready for download even if your Nook gets lost, destroyed, etc. It stays in your account, not in your device.

New User
groundhog48

Not that simple. I did just as your described and it opened a screen with details about the book i want to archive. Only choices were "open" or close that window. "Open" goes to the book. Any further condensending instructions?

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

groundhog48 wrote:

Not that simple. I did just as your described and it opened a screen with details about the book i want to archive. Only choices were "open" or close that window. "Open" goes to the book. Any further condensending instructions?

Tap the "Quote" button on the right side of the "Post Message" box so we can see which person's instructions you are repllying to.

Someone running a reader app on the same device (Mac, Windows PC, phones, i-pad/i-pod etc) you are using might be able to offer detailed instructions. You would have to indicate which device you are using though. It might even help to indicate which version of the app you are using.

One potential problem responding to months old forum threads is that software on eBook readers, reader software on other devices and even on web sites are sometime revised. A procedure provided moths ago isn't always relevent to the current software versions. There might also be differences between the assorted reader models and reader apps on different devices.

On the version 2.5.5.9347 Windows PC app, when I click the "+" button next to "Options" I see oportunities to "READ NOW" "LEND ME" "REMOVE LOCAL COPY" "MOVE TO ARCHIVE" and "DETAILS". An "ABOUT EREADER" BUTTON" (to show the version number) appears on the readers tool bar when I click the "account settings" tab in the left column.

You may also find an oportunity to archive your eBooks when you view your library with you browser at B&N's web site.

New User
Avalis
0 Kudos

After following your instructions and tapping the "more" button, I get the details page, but only the "OPEN" button appears, never the "ARCHIVE" button.  Any other way to archive books?

Thanks.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Avalis wrote:

After following your instructions and tapping the "more" button, I get the details page, but only the "OPEN" button appears, never the "ARCHIVE" button.  Any other way to archive books?

Thanks.

I'm not seeing a "more" button or "OPEN" button on the eBook listing or the individual eBook detail pages (PC reader version 2.5.6.9585). I suspect you're using a different version of the Windows PC reader application or, more likely, a reader application on a different device (like Macintosh, iPad or Android tablet/phone).

Reader applications on multiple devices and operating systems are on topic for this forum, so it's really necessary to include information identifying your device and reader application version number with your inquiry. On the PC versions you might be able to find the version number by clicking the "settings" tab, then clicking the "ABOUT EREADER" link at the right end of the tool bar at the top of the reader window. Procedures for identifying the reader software version number on other devices might be different.

Of course eBooks can also be archived on the B&N web site using most web browsers, probably including those on various tablet and notebook computers. Note that copies of eBooks stored on a computer serve as your backups in case the publisher terminates B&N's license to download them to you again, so use of a "REMOVE LOCAL COPY" button of similar function (like deleting with your computer's file management application - like Windows Explorer) may not be a good idea unless your storage is getting seriously full.

Reader
BetseeT
0 Kudos

So why isn't this just under the FAQ?  I mean, for Pete's sake.  This is stupid.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

BetseeT wrote:

So why isn't this just under the FAQ?  I mean, for Pete's sake.  This is stupid.

It's spelled out nicely in the Nook First Edition's User Guide, which is preloaded in the device.

I haven't read the user guides for the more recent models

The User Guide on the Windows PC reader application is pretty pathetic. It reads more like an breif writen advertisement.

New User
llsmith315
0 Kudos

Help same question.  When I try to archieve on Nook simple it only will allow me open or close, no archive option.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: