Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Interesting new feature in Nook for iPad

[ Edited ]
After loading the latest update yesterday I find all my books in series are grouped under one icon like magazine subscriptions. One stacked icon for the Wheel of Time books, one for Pip and Flinx, one for the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, one for Fleet of Worlds, Retrieval Artist, Deathworld, Silent Planet, and so on. A neat feature, that I'd love to see on my NST.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Interesting new feature in Nook for iPad

MacMcK1957 wrote:
After loading the latest update yesterday I find all my books in series are grouped under one icon like magazine subscriptions. One stacked icon for the Wheel of Time books, one for Pip and Flinx, one for the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, one for Fleet of Worlds, Retrieval Artist, Deathworld, Silent Planet, and so on. A neat feature, that I'd love to see on my NST.

I saw that, it's kind of cool, I hope that means better organization is coming for all devices.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

As soon as I read this I downloaded the update.

I think it's a great feature, much needed.

However it does not recognize all series.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I was actually surprised how many series it recognized, Alex Benedict, Culture, Deathworld, Ender, Bright Empires, Lucifer Jones. I have to assume there must be some sort of series tag in the metadata from the publisher. Can't imagine that B&N is putting the information together.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

MacMcK1957 wrote:
I was actually surprised how many series it recognized, Alex Benedict, Culture, Deathworld, Ender, Bright Empires, Lucifer Jones. I have to assume there must be some sort of series tag in the metadata from the publisher. Can't imagine that B&N is putting the information together.

When I download the metadata for a book into Calibre, I very often get the series information, so I would agree it's probably part of the metadata, but I've noticed it can be very inconsistent.  Within a single series the information many times is slightly different, so I wind up with the same series listed more than once.  I'll get something like Jack Reacher and Jack Reacher Series.  Sometimes one book in a series will not have the info at all.  It amazes me that a publisher can't be consistent and accurate.  It's just sloppy work.

MacMcK1957

I did notice one omission. It flagged the Alex Benedict series but not the Priscilla Hutchins series by the same author. Also a few things were flagged as series that really aren't, like B&N Classics. Don Quixote and Gulliver's Travels really don't deserve to be grouped together.
Reader
J_Noomman

I saw this too.  Initially I thought it had deleted some of my books, since many of them were not immediately visible :smileyhappy:

My issue is that I wish I could put them into series myself.  Quite a few series that I have aren't recognized as such at all, and several others will have two of the books in a trilogy grouped but not the third, and so on.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 330 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: