Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

Is eReader dead meat? Will it be merged with B&N?

And if so, what's next?  I've been an eReader since I bought my Palm m505.  I was happy when eReader was released for the iPod; it was another step in dumping the antiquated Palm OS (which I've completed).  I was very happy when B&N took over eReader because I figured that it meant that eReader would be merged in to B&N; I'd be able to read my old and new books with the same reader.  But it hasn't happened yet.  Once I finish reading all the Tom Clancy books I stupidly bought all at once (I find them tough to read the second time around) I don't know where I'll go.

I won't buy from eReader.com anymore.  The site hasn't aged well, but that's the least of the reasons.  The prices for eBooks always more expensive, in some cases double the price of B&N and Amazon.  And I'm seeing some back catalog books that are available on B&N that aren't available on eReader. So it's looking like the end of the road for eReader, at least to me.

I'd move to B&N if they merged the eReader accounts, for simplicity's sake.  One app for all my books.  If they don't, then anything's possible.  I plan on getting the iPad, so the iTunes store looks like an interesting option.  However, if you can only read books on the iPad, then no deal.  They've got to have a reader for the iPod as well.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: Is eReader dead meat? Will it be merged with B&N?

eReader.com and Fictionwise both have policies that can sometimes make there prices much cheaper than current B&N prices.  e.g for books you can get a credit of 10 to 100 percent of the cost of the book. And for some books the list price of the book is lower on these sites, or the book is only available from one of the sites.

So for now you need to check all sites, including non B&N sites, that sell ebooks in formats that you can read to see which has the best price.

I certainly expect that they will do some sort of merge of the B&N owned companies, but who knows.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

To amplify what TNS said, at Fictionwise, all New York Times bestsellers have a 100% micropay rebate.  They also have a handful of other books selected every Monday that are 100% micropay rebate and all books by those authors are 35% off.  By far, it's the best deal you're going to find for bestsellers.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Apple already announced that there will be an iPhone/iPod Touch app for the ibooks.  It is supposed to be released with the upcoming iTunes update that will launch all of the iPad apps.

Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

Apple announced an iBook store?  I somehow missed the 100,000 articles making mention of that since the iPad's announcement :smileytongue:

Anyhoo.  I'm aware of the various "Loyalty Rewards" offered by various sites; I don't really care about them.  For someone who buys a lot of books, they make sense.  For the occasional reader, they make less sense, and they're a bit of a scam.

Let's take this week's big deal: John Grisham ebooks.  The Pelican Brief is on sale at B&N for $7.99 (46% off the list price of $15).  eReader has it's 100% eReader reward which comes out to ~$9.47 (50% of their "sale" price of $18.95, and a store credit for $9.47).  Even if the price came out slightly lower at eReader (which it doesn't), it would still be more attractive for me to buy at B&N, since I don't have to fork over the extra dough.  It almost looks as if they're gambling on the fact that you'll skip the math and be blown away the 50% discount of a marked-up book.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@Billster

It's not a scam, you got it right in the first paragraph, if you buy a lot of books, it makes sense.  My books at Fictionwise are currently running at less than $3 per book because I do buy a lot of books and use the extra purchasing power carefully.  Most of the books I've purchased with the credits have been the same price at BN or Amazon, as long as that holds, I don't care how much the rebated books are, but then again, I buy a lot of books.  It doesn't make much sense for those that don't but that doesn't make it a scam.

Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

The part that I found "scammy" is how high the price is before the discount.  eReader is owned by B&N, and their "sale price" for the book is $18.95 while Barnes and Noble's "list price" is $15.  I'm a fairly savvy shopper, so I'm not really concerned.  However, it seems as if you have to jump though a couple of hoops to get the actual price - and it's not always a good one.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

The benefit of buying 100% rebates at Fictionwise comes if you are a frequent purchaser of books. Yes, the prices at eReader.com, Fictionwise.com, and BN.com vary (which I agree is a bit silly), if you are frequent book buyer, the rebates do make future purchases attractive - you essentially get free books the next time you shop. If you don't buy books often, it might be better to get it for the lower up-front purchase price at B&N. One other nice thing about Fictionwise is, if you join the Buywise club, in addition to the 15% discount on every purchase, you get weekly personal discounts (that you still get the additonal 15% discount), and one free book per year of membership. Obviously, as a frequent purchaser (I've got over 4,600 books from Fictionwise), this is an excellent deal for me.
Contributor
mknewman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I too am looking for merged support from eReader and nook/BN reader.  In particular I'm buying a HTC HD2 that has the Windows Mobile reader built in (Why hasn't this been released yet for all WM platforms?).

I have over 150 books on eReader.  Been with them since the PalmPress days on my Palm III, used to do beta testing for them on the Windows Mobile platform.

I understand branding and see the value of keeping the two companies somewhat seperate but .pdb format is pretty standard except for the security unlocking.  Just add support for it to nook and the software readers and we will be very happy customers!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

mknewman wrote:

.pdb format is pretty standard except for the security unlocking.  Just add support for it to nook and the software readers and we will be very happy customers!

The nook is already capable of opening and reading eReader (PML) PDB, both secure and unsecure. B&N is still providing most e-books in Secure eReader PDB, although they're in the process of changing over to EPUB with eReader DRM.

Reader 2
juliusa
0 Kudos

Is ther ever a chance we will see access to our EReader and Fictionwise books through the B&N APP? Silly having TWO aps to read the books that are now owned by B&N anyway! I hope soon, as I heard over the summer we would be able to do this from Fictionwise employees themselves!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

juliusa wrote:

Is ther ever a chance we will see access to our EReader and Fictionwise books through the B&N APP? Silly having TWO aps to read the books

I haven't tried it, but (at least on paper) it should work fine to put your eReader.com and your Secure eReader e-books (-er.PDB) from Fictionwise into "My Stuff" on the B&N eReader.

Correspondent
Large_Marge

juliusa wrote:

Is ther ever a chance we will see access to our EReader and Fictionwise books through the B&N APP?

From experience, you can do that now.

Reader 2
juliusa
0 Kudos

OK, it must be me. How and how do I access on the iPhone app? I am not sure you can. Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest

juliusa wrote:

OK, it must be me. How and how do I access on the iPhone app? I am not sure you can. Thanks.

I can't help with the iPhone app, but I have both the B&N eReader and the Palm eReader for Windoze on my laptop.  Both import ebooks (B&N and eReader.com work equally well) through the main menu.

Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

That's my issue.  I'd buy from B&N and eReader.com if there was a unified app, with a way of getting books on.  This is where B&N/eReader is dropping the ball.

The first version of the iPhone eReader allowed you to transfer your books from your computer to your iPhone.  It wasn't user friendly - you had to set up your computer as a server in order to do it, but it worked.  This method was removed at Apple's request and never replaced.  It's almost two years later and the main way of putting books on the IPhone/iPod platform is by downloading the books straight from B&N or eReader's servers.  There's a bunch of apps that allow you to mount your iPod and the drag and drop files of all kinds.  Other programs allow you to sync files.  Why doesn't the B&N Reader for iPhone have this feature yet?

One of the reasons I started buying from eReader was because I liked their DRM scheme (as much as one can like DRM).  You download the books and unlock them with your credit card number.  It's future proof; eReader can vanish, but I can still unlock the books I bought from them.  It's different now; to get your books on you device, you always have to download them from the server.  If eReader or B&N decides that eBooks aren't their thing anymore and shuts things down, you won't be able to transfer you books to your latest iPod.  Updating the eReaders so that you can transfer your books from your computer directly to your device (just like on Palm, PC, WinMo devices) is an important step.  If that is done, I'm guessing that you'd be able to read your books on either eReader.

Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

OK.  I bit the bullet.  I bought "Fight Club" from B&N, went to eReader and added it to my Personal Content.  When i launched my "eReader" eReader and checked out my library, it downloaded.  I opened it up and it works.  I used the same credit card number for this purchase, so I didn't even have to unlock it - it's treated the almost the same as an eReader.com book. There's no cover art in coverflow view (I guess because it's sideloaded).

I'd still like the ability to transfer books directly from my computer, though.

Reader 2
juliusa
0 Kudos

Note on cover art...if you use STANZA to open and read the book (it connects to Fictionwise and EReader) you can add the cover art!

Frequent Contributor
gdflood
0 Kudos

where did you see this anouncement at? B&N and Amazon have way larger amounts of content than the iBook store right now, and Id be willing to use the B&N reader on the iPad if it was updated to equal quality of the iBook reader. But I am starting to think that it is far more likely that the iBook store will be expanded to close the volume of B&N, before the B&N reader is even close in quality.

Contributor
mknewman
0 Kudos

Ok, so I got my HTC HD2 and it has the BN app on it.  First time I fired it up it updated itself.  The shopping on it is through a web page, unlike eReader, and the page scrolling is via finger swipe rather than a press on the screen.  I really like it much better than eReader, but it does not work pretty much at all right now.

Once I saw how pretty it was I moved all my .pdb files out of eReader to it's \Program Files\BN eReader\Books directory and started it up again, it did not find any of the books!

Ok, so I'm not a quitter, so I moved all the books back and went on to their shopping utility.  With a lot of difficulty I was finally able to buy and download my first book, Codenotes for c#, and downloaded it to my HD2.  When I go to open it the reader gets an error.

So I tried moving the file which is a .epub file, to eReader and it doesn't even see it (not a .pdb?).

So then I went online and downloaded the file directly to my computer, and wow, it's a .pdb file not a .epub file!  So eReader opens this just fine but the BN app doesn't open it at all :smileysad:

Any hints?

Marc

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 556 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: