Contributor
Billster
0 Kudos

Re: Is eReader dead meat? Will it be merged with B&N?

This wasn't an announcement (if you're referring to the title of this thread).  Since the B&N acquisition, I figured that eReader.com would be merged into B&N.  This hasn't happened.  It looks more like B&N bought eReader to get a leg up in the ebook biz, and will let it die.

I see books disappearing from eReader's "shelves" (Tom Clancy and Nelson Demille are gone), while others never appear (ex: Atlas Shrugged, Fight Club) - although they're all available at B&N.  And despite the deals that some people find, all I can see it that Stephen King's "Carrie" is $32.50 on eReader, while B&N has it for $7.19.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

Billster,

Instead of going to ereader.com, go to fictionwise.com.  It is one of the eReader family of sites B&N bought (Fictionwise owned ereader.com that they bought from Palm).  It has all the books you mentioned plus many more.  It has many sales.  All New York Times bestsellers are 100% rebate, all new books (posted on Mondays) are 15% - 100% off.  They always have a handful of authors (new ones every weeks) that have one book at 100% rebate and the rest of their books are 35%+ off.  Members also get newsletters with personal discounts (based on purchase history and selected preferences) and they twitter special specials every few days.

Fictionwise handles rebates like this:  Micropay is an online micropayment payment method they use.  You have an account you can add money to with a credit card.  It was originally created so Fictionwise can avoid credit transfer charges and pass the saving on to users.  They expanded it with all these rebates.  When you purchase a book with a rebate, you pay for it with a credit card and the amount of the rebate is credited to your Micropay account.  If you only buy few books, this might not be so great, but if you buy a lot of books like I do, this ends up making a BIG difference.  Whenever I buy a book, I get a chunk of change added to my account to buy more books.

Of course, books that are discounted, and not just rebated, are instantly discounted with no micropay credit involved.

Fictionwise sells all their DRMed books in eReader format as well as Mobipocket and Adobe Editions.  They also have many, MANY books that have no DRM (copy protection) and are available in 13 document formats (you can download them in any / all of them for various devices and platforms).

In general, if you are a frequent book / periodical purchaser, I find Fictionwise to give me an overall less expensive experience than B&N, eReader.com, and Amazon.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

sgovotsos wrote:

Billster,

Instead of going to ereader.com, go to fictionwise.com.  It is one of the eReader family of sites B&N bought (Fictionwise owned ereader.com that they bought from Palm).  It has all the books you mentioned plus many more.  It has many sales.  All New York Times bestsellers are 100% rebate, all new books (posted on Mondays) are 15% - 100% off.  They always have a handful of authors (new ones every weeks) that have one book at 100% rebate and the rest of their books are 35%+ off.  Members also get newsletters with personal discounts (based on purchase history and selected preferences) and they twitter special specials every few days.

Fictionwise handles rebates like this:  Micropay is an online micropayment payment method they use.  You have an account you can add money to with a credit card.  It was originally created so Fictionwise can avoid credit transfer charges and pass the saving on to users.  They expanded it with all these rebates.  When you purchase a book with a rebate, you pay for it with a credit card and the amount of the rebate is credited to your Micropay account.  If you only buy few books, this might not be so great, but if you buy a lot of books like I do, this ends up making a BIG difference.  Whenever I buy a book, I get a chunk of change added to my account to buy more books.

Of course, books that are discounted, and not just rebated, are instantly discounted with no micropay credit involved.

Fictionwise sells all their DRMed books in eReader format as well as Mobipocket and Adobe Editions.  They also have many, MANY books that have no DRM (copy protection) and are available in 13 document formats (you can download them in any / all of them for various devices and platforms).

In general, if you are a frequent book / periodical purchaser, I find Fictionwise to give me an overall less expensive experience than B&N, eReader.com, and Amazon.

Your information may be a bit out of date.  With the agency model in effect now, Fictionwise has stopped their Buywise Club.  They are not taking any new members anymore.  There has been no word yet as to how the agency model will affect rebate points, but it's a safe bet that they will no longer be able to be applied to the books published by the 5 publishers who have switched to the agency model for their ebooks.  Sales and promotions will no longer be allowed on any of thhose books by anyone.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

There has been no word yet as to how the agency model will affect rebate points, but it's a safe bet that they will no longer be able to be applied to the books published by the 5 publishers who have switched to the agency model for their ebooks.

Not too safe a bet. BooksOnBoard says that their rebate points can be used to buy any e-book, including ones from the 'Agency 5'.

Of course, you can't earn rebate points on the 'Agency 5' books.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Nallia wrote:

There has been no word yet as to how the agency model will affect rebate points, but it's a safe bet that they will no longer be able to be applied to the books published by the 5 publishers who have switched to the agency model for their ebooks.

Not too safe a bet. BooksOnBoard says that their rebate points can be used to buy any e-book, including ones from the 'Agency 5'.

Of course, you can't earn rebate points on the 'Agency 5' books.

Thanks for that.  I've never shopped at Books on Board and Fictionwise has been very vague about the whole thing.

Contributor
sgovotsos
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

sgovotsos wrote:

Billster,

Your information may be a bit out of date.  With the agency model in effect now, Fictionwise has stopped their Buywise Club.  They are not taking any new members anymore.  There has been no word yet as to how the agency model will affect rebate points, but it's a safe bet that they will no longer be able to be applied to the books published by the 5 publishers who have switched to the agency model for their ebooks.  Sales and promotions will no longer be allowed on any of thhose books by anyone.

Thanks for the update on Buywise.  Fictionwise certainly hasn't made it easy to find this.  But the rest of the info is current - the free NYT bestsellers, free author book and 35%+ off rest of bibliography, etc.  Of course, current as of this moment.

New User
prhammer
0 Kudos

I also tried the process of transferring the book from a downloaded B&N book to eReader via Personal Content. It worked as you experienced.

My personal interest is in finding a way to go the other direction >> moving my books purchased from eReader.com to the B&N reader. I would just as soon move in that direction because:

a. I'd like to unify my library on one app

b. There is more prospect for development and continued availability on the B&N app because of it's connection to the Nook.

You can already see that with B&N planning an iPad app, but eReader is not.

It would certainly make sense for them to honor the customers that they "purchased" in the acquisition by allowing them to import their books into the B&N reader. But it often seems that sense has little to do with what actually happens.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

prhammer wrote:

My personal interest is in finding a way to go the other direction >> moving my books purchased from eReader.com to the B&N reader. I would just as soon move in that direction because:

You can do this now.

My eReader.com library of 220+ ebooks works equally well with the eReader.com ereader app and B&N ereader app on my PC and I have a large sampling of them sideloaded on my nook. 

All 'read' equally well on each platform with no conversion necessary.

Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

I think he is referring to using his eReader ebooks on the iPad with his B&N eReader app, not on his computer. I would also lit to do this as while I only have one book from eReader, I have a large library from Fictionwise.
Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

swandy wrote:

I think he is referring to using his eReader ebooks on the iPad with his B&N eReader app, not on his computer. I would also lit to do this as while I only have one book from eReader, I have a large library from Fictionwise.

The eReader app should support the same formats regardless of platform.

If you have an iPad, it wouldn't hurt to try it and let us know how it works.

Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

eDigest wrote:

swandy wrote:

The eReader app should support the same formats regardless of platform.

If you have an iPad, it wouldn't hurt to try it and let us know how it works.

I have no doubt about the format, but since the only way that I know of to get books into the B&N app is through the WIFI, and since, again as far as I can tell, the B&N app does not give you the option of downloading from any other source/account aside from B&N, there is no way to get the books I have on either Ereader.com and Fictionwise.com into the B&N app. I have no problems getting books from either site into my eReader app, but since it was designed for the iPod/iPhone, the text of the books looks pretty crappy and according to eReader, they have no plans on either updating the current app or releasing a new version for the iPad the way that B&N is going to.

Steve

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

If the books that you get from eReader.com or Fictionwise are in Epub format, including the DRM ones, they can be imported into your iTunes library and read with iBooks the Apple ebook reader.

Inspired Contributor
swandy
0 Kudos

lparsons21 wrote:

If the books that you get from eReader.com or Fictionwise are in Epub format, including the DRM ones, they can be imported into your iTunes library and read with iBooks the Apple ebook reader.

Yeah, I know about that because I was able to convert some other ebooks that I have from other sources to ePub and get iTunes to load them into iBooks. But I don't think that either Fictionwise or eReader sells that format - at least not the books that I have in my bookshelf that I have not read yet.

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

Yep, it is an issue at Fictionwise and eReader.com.  You have to make sure you can get an epub version of the book.  Sometimes that isn't possible, or if you are like me and not using the iPad yet, you bought it in a format for the Nook or eReader app.

Most books I bought are downloadable as epub, but I have a few that were only available at either a great sale price or good micro-pay rebates, just not as epubs.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 667 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: