New User
SOHOTech
0 Kudos

Load a non Barnes and Noble ePub book into Nook PC

The doc says that Nook PC supports ePub format, but I see no way to load a book not purchased from B&N into the library.

Anyone know how to "import books"?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Load a non Barnes and Noble ePub book into Nook PC

SOHOTech wrote:

The doc says that Nook PC supports ePub format, but I see no way to load a book not purchased from B&N into the library.

Anyone know how to "import books"?

You can't at this time.  While B&N and other retailers both use ePub, B&N uses a different DRM scheme, while libraries and other retailers use a DRM that requires the use of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) or their own software (like Sony) which includes ADE.

So to read books from other sources, you either need ADE or the other retailers software, if they have.  The two I know of that have their own PC readers you can use are Sony and Kobo.  The others simply use ADE, if I'm not mistaken.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

You can add epub books that are not protected by DRM to the "My Stuff" section of the Nook for PC app.  While in the Library, click on "My Stuff" then click on "Add an Item" at the top of the window.  It will open a dialog box, navigate to the ebook you want to add and click on it then click open.

New User
SOHOTech
0 Kudos

Thanks, I had forgotten to mention that these are DRM free so yes, they work.  I had totally missed the add new item button.  Was looking for it when I clicked Libary instead of My Stuff.

It is SO nice to not have to use Adobe Digital Editions.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

You should also look at a free program called Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/ 

You can use it to manage your library of ebooks. It can also be used to convert non-epub format books to epub. You can add books directly to you Nook using Calibre. 

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
New User
DebbieDV
0 Kudos

I agree  Calibre is great.. Free download from internet.  Just download books to your computer then drag and drop to Calibre (it will also convert other formats) then plug in you nook and drag them to the device at the top of Calibe page.  Don't forget to eject you nook when finished.  There is a great demo video for Calibre also.  Was a great help to me.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 921 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: