Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

NOOK for Android is Now Available!

[ Edited ]

NOOK for Android is now available at www.bn.com/nookforandroid.  Barnes & Noble continually enhances its eReader software and will add new features to its Android offering this summer including highlights and notes, a search library and look-up feature, library grid-view and more.  For more information on free BN eReader (soon to be renamed NOOK) software and apps, please visit www.bn.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp.

NOTE:  Requires Android 1.6 or Higher

Reader
Balloondoggle
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Android is Now Available!

Okay, I've got it on my Evo adn it seems to be working just fine.  About this "sync" thing - is that for just the library or can we now match up our pages on the PC, phone and Nook?  How do I get this working on the Nook end of things?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

NOOK for Android is now available at www.bn.com/nookforandroid.  Barnes & Noble continually enhances its eReader software and will add new features to its Android offering this summer including highlights and notes, a search library and look-up feature, library grid-view and more.  For more information on free BN eReader (soon to be renamed NOOK) software and apps, please visit www.bn.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp.

Well, Michael, the main complaint I've seen (from AppBrain reviews) so far seems to be the large file size. Have you ever heard of someone complaining about a "free meal?" I have...it's an ugly thing.

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Main complaint here is that it isn't up to snuff feature-wise as the i-Device apps.  Why not option to invert text to white on black?  Much easier to read on an LCD.

I am glad to see the app available and will make use of it.  Can't wait for page-syncing across nook and my phone, but in the meantime I can just remember where I was on each device.  Not a big deal.

- Zach
Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

Thanks for making it 1.6 compatible!  That is a huge relief!

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

Michael, could you clarify a point from the "Top Ebook FAQ" page? It says "The BN eReader is an application used to read Barnes & Noble eBooks on your handheld device or computer." Does "Barnes & Noble eBooks" literally mean only content purchased from B&N or can it include sideloaded content? 

Frequent Contributor
JoeCA
0 Kudos

Works fine so far on my Nexus One.

But needs some improvements. The main UI doesn't switch to landscape, and the app can't be moved to the SD card.

Reader 2
thaws
0 Kudos

I was all excited this morning when I saw that the eReader for my G1 Android phone was released.  Then I saw the file size 5.3MB ouch!  Tried to load but since my phone is not rooted I cannot move this to an SD card and I just do not have the space for it.  The 5.3MB size would make this the second largest app on my phone with the first being Google Maps at 7+ and that is with all the navigation bells and whistles.  Looks like until I root my phone or decide to remove a whole lot of other applications that I use daily this app is going to have to wait :smileysad:.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Well, Michael, the main complaint I've seen (from AppBrain reviews) so far seems to be the large file size. Have you ever heard of someone complaining about a "free meal?" I have...it's an ugly thing.

And you are going to hear a steady roar of complaints about that.

Everyone screamed when Adobe Flash was released at 10meg, almost double the size of any other mainstream app.

But then Nook for android comes out with 17meg!!!  Five times bigger than Kindle for Android.

Not every device has room for this huge monster.  Phone storage is limited.  And this app does not allow you to install it on the expansion card. 

Seriously, this should NOT have been allowed in the Android store.  There is no excuse for this kind of bloatware for such a simple app.  At a minimum it should allow installing to expansion memory.

Still, if you want to try it,  shoot this with your phone camera:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

thaws wrote:

I was all excited this morning when I saw that the eReader for my G1 Android phone was released.  Then I saw the file size 5.3MB ouch!     The 5.3MB size would make this the second largest app on my phone with the first being Google Maps at 7+  

WAY worse than Google Maps.  

5.3 is the download size.  When installed, it ballons to 17MEG.  

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

thaws wrote:

I was all excited this morning when I saw that the eReader for my G1 Android phone was released.  Then I saw the file size 5.3MB ouch!     The 5.3MB size would make this the second largest app on my phone with the first being Google Maps at 7+  

WAY worse than Google Maps.  

5.3 is the download size.  When installed, it ballons to 17MEG.  

I thought it was just the reverse. Anyway, I would have taken you up on your kind offer to try it, but I'll let others be beta testers. I'm rarely an early adopter of anything, ESPECIALLY software.

:smileywink: 

Reader
EdTheUniqueGeek
0 Kudos

Installed it this morning on the Motorola Droid 1. It made me happy. My only issue is the lack of bookmark/last page read sync. I have the app on my netbook and am in the middle of reading Under the Dome. With a page bookmarked on my netbook I do not see this bookmarked page in the Android app.

This is NOT good.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

JoeCA wrote:

Works fine so far on my Nexus One.

But needs some improvements. The main UI doesn't switch to landscape, and the app can't be moved to the SD card.

The UI doesn't switch when in your library, but reading does switch to landscape, but there is an orientation lock for reading in bed.

While reading, you have a sync button in the menu, but sadly, it does nothing.

While reading, there is a progress slider on the bottom of the page, which takes so long to become operational you will likely think it does not work.  Wait, wait, it does work eventually.

The internal directory structures look similar to the nook, complete with a "My Documents" folder, which contains the manual.  Sadly NOTHING you put in there is visible in the reader.  So NO SIDELOADS!!!  You need a filemanager (like Astro) to see this directory structure.

When you read the last page of a book, an page forward is shows the animation of a page turn but returns to the same page, with no indication that you are at the end.

This app appeared to gratuitously unarchived a couple of my books, and the next time I checked for new B&N content on the nook they appeared on the nook as well.   I'm sure I didn't do this accidentally.

The app does not close when you stop using it (there is no Exit menu item).  Of course, Android manages memory very well, and will eventually page this out as other apps need the memory, and it does allow you to rapidly resume reading.

Still, the lack of an explicit EXIT, means that sometimes while reading tapping the Back button on Android takes you to the library, and some times it skips that step and exits the app.  This seems rather haphazard.

It is easy to read with (to the extent anything is easy to read on small screens).

But it is simply too big.  Small memory phones will be hard pressed to manage this app.  My Nexus One has lots of memory, but it is still just too big.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

"Sadly NOTHING you put in there is visible in the reader.  So NO SIDELOADS!!!"

That confirms my suspicion. I had a feeling you could only read B&N content on the BN Android reader. At least, that's what the FAQ's seemed to indicate. Oh well...

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I think its promising and very sleek. However, I carry my nook almost everywhere I go so what ereading I'd do on my phone doesn't justify my allocating over 17 mb to the app so I will uninstall it. If I did a lot of reading on the phone, I'd probably leave it on there.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

With regards to the download size:

We apologize and if you experience an issue with the size we suggest you clear storage.  We assure you that we are looking into solutions to let users install into the SD card and make the App size smaller.

With regards to syncing:

It won’t sync with Nook just yet, that is coming in the future.  It will sync with iPad, PC, and the upcoming version of iPhone.

Also, My Documents is being developed and is coming soon and a landscape feature is being evaluated.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

With regards to syncing:

It won’t sync with Nook just yet, that is coming in the future.  It will sync with iPad, PC, and the upcoming version of iPhone.

Also, My Documents is being developed and is coming soon and a landscape feature is being evaluated.

I'm not seeing any page sync with the PC version Michael.  Maybe I just don't understand how to do this.

Landscape works while reading, and quite frankly that's good enough.  Presentation of your library list would be a mess in landscape.  

Have them shrink the cover images in the Library.  Too big.  Too few on the screen at one time.

My documents support would make this really great.  Almost worth the storage penalty.  Android has file managers that allow you to store things in specific places, and it would be great to have sideload support in this app.

Its a good version 0.1.  

Reader
EdTheUniqueGeek
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@All,

With regards to the download size:

We apologize and if you experience an issue with the size we suggest you clear storage.  We assure you that we are looking into solutions to let users install into the SD card and make the App size smaller.

With regards to syncing:

Actually, sir, that is not true. It is not syncing with PC.

As mentioned earlier, I purchased Under the Dome eBook from B&N. I am reading this on my netbook under Windows 7 in the B&N Nook application. I have bookmarked a page on the PC version. When I installed the app on my Motorola Droid 1 running Android 2.1, I was able to download the book but if I open it, I do not see my bookmarked page as per the bookmark from the PC version. I even attempted to sync several time in the Android app but still the bookmark is not shown. I am logged into the same account in both application versions.

Contributor
wildwestmt
0 Kudos

Mine switches to landscape on my Motorola.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@icebike and EdTheUniqueGeek,

If the PC Reader is already open, then you need to do a manual synch. 

I just read to page 48 in an ebook on a Nexus One using the Android NOOK, opened it up on the PC Client (when I launched the PC app it synched) and I landed on the page I was reading.  

There is sometimes a slight page or two difference due to how the pages are rendered.

Just to be sure, I tried another title, and the results are the same.  Also, I tried reading from the PC Client, made progress, made a book mark, and then made sure to hit the synch button from the Library view.  Then I did a manual synch on the Android app from the Library list view, selected the title I was reading on the PC Client, opened it and  found I could pick right where I left off. 

So it is synching up and down between/across clients.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:42 members 513 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: