Reader
EdTheUniqueGeek
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Android is Now Available!

Yeah. I think it is all a matter of manual syncing if you want it immediate.

I did some more testing by letting the PC app stay open for a long time with a bookmarked page. I didn't really time time it but, maybe, 30 minutes later I went to the Android app and the bookmark was sync'd correctly.

Hopefully, in future releases of the application on PC and Android, you can change the sync settings to be more frequent so that you do not have to rely on the default setting of whenever or selecting  the manual sync on both devices.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Not seeing it in Market from my Motorola Backflip - and Backflip can't load except from Market.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Which Motorola?  Or have you installed the USB driver so you can install from the app elsewhere?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

romsfuulynn wrote:

Not seeing it in Market from my Motorola Backflip - and Backflip can't load except from Market.

What android version is the Backflip running?

It has to be at least version 1.6 for this app to show up.

Backflip is supposed to get android 2.1 in Q3 of this year.

New User
WillF
0 Kudos

Great start.

After testing out the three big ones from the Android Market (Borders app, Kindle app and the Nook app) I have to say it's a toss up between the Nook and Kindle apps.

Two issues I heard today when showing off the apps.

1. The ability to view in "night mode" (white text on black background) is a plus on the Borders and Amazon apps. Would love to see it added here.

2. The size. After installation the three apps show as the following with any cached data cleared.

• Borders app: 900 KB
  • Kindle: 3.34 MB
  • Nook: 17.59 MB

The size of the Nook application seems way out of line for it's capabilities. I think people would be okay with the ~5MB it was showing as in the market, but 17?? It doesn't make sense as the functionality of the app is pretty much the same as that of the Kindle app.

Can someone answer if this is simply because the app is first run and needs to be tweaked or if this is a more permanent issue?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

WillF wrote:

• Borders app: 900 KB
  • Kindle: 3.34 MB
  • Nook: 17.59 MB

The size of the Nook application seems way out of line for it's capabilities. I think people would be okay with the ~5MB it was showing as in the market, but 17?? It doesn't make sense as the functionality of the app is pretty much the same as that of the Kindle app.

I have to believe this is a debug build using statically linked libraries with everything it needs rather than using existing OS libraries.

I simply can't imagine what they could be putting in there.  There is just no functionality that requires this size.

New User
LanceBN
0 Kudos

I for one appreciate the effort and look forward to future improvements!

Contributor
JoeGoe
0 Kudos

Sync between nook and the app would be greatly appreciated! 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@JoeGoe,

It won’t sync with NOOK just yet, that is coming in the future.  It will sync with iPad, PC, and the upcoming version of iPhone.

New User
Sandy47SL
0 Kudos

NOOK for Android

I have had a B&N account form my ipod touch and have several books in there.  Just saw could download Nook into my Motorola Android phone.  Got the app in however my purchases that are in my account are not showing up.  when I ask it to sync it just comes up for a second and then they all disappear.  Only thing showing up n book is quick start guide (which does not tell you how to do anything) a sample firefly beach book and a magic lantern lend me guide.  I have purchased the nook also so I want to make sure all 3 devices have all my books available as this is what sold me on the nook.  I am typing this on my computer and if I go into my account the books are there.  What gives?

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I have to say THANK YOU for it now being offered and the effort to get it offered!!  Running it on my Moto Droid now.

I am happy to no longer have to sideload my books to my Ereader on the phone. 

Yes there is a few things to work out...like anything!  I would like to be able to change the coloring so text would be nicer to read at night, syncing to the Nook would be cool as well as a smaller file size.  I hope all in good time.

Thank you for your efforts.

M

New User
Chris_Morehead
0 Kudos

RE: NOOK for Android

Love the app, though I do wish there was an option to switch from black lettering on a white page to white lettering on a black page. I have found that is much easier on my eyes. Keep up the great work!

-Chris

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: RE: NOOK for Android

I agree. A white on black option would be nice to have.

Also syncing could be better. Two books that I have archived show up as active books. Its not a deal breaker but it would be nice if they didn't show so that I could have a clean "desktop".

Unless I missed it, there should be a "Remove local copy" option as well. I don't see one.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

John, this FAQ "should" be the instructions for locally deleting a book:

It's easy to delete an eBook when you're finished with it.

Step 1: Open any eBook and tap the menu icon
Step 2: Select 'delete' from the book menu
Step 3: Select the book you wish to delete, then press the 'delete' button
I'm assuming delete doesn't mean "archive."  :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

John, this FAQ "should" be the instructions for locally deleting a book:

It's easy to delete an eBook when you're finished with it.

Step 1: Open any eBook and tap the menu icon
Step 2: Select 'delete' from the book menu
Step 3: Select the book you wish to delete, then press the 'delete' button
I'm assuming delete doesn't mean "archive."  :smileywink:

Hi Tim,

There is no delete button when I tap the menu key. I have font options, go to, details, sync, orientation and library options.

But what I did find when I press the details button and the book's information pops up, is a "More by this author" button. Bravo!!! This feature should be on the nook as well.

John

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

"when I press the details button and the book's information pops up, is a "More by this author" button." 

Serendipity is our friend.   :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Amen!

John

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

There is another good reason for black background with white letters.  With AMOLED screens (my Omnia II has that, the Droid Incredible will have it, and there are others), if you have the backlight turned off, the black parts of the screen take significantly less power than the white parts.  I was really skeptical about this claim when I first heard it on Gizmodo, but when I switched my phone to black backgrounds, I now routinely get 6 days of cell phone power (even with it checking for email every 15 minutes and constantly texting and occasionally talking and web-browsing).  It tripled my battery life.

Granted, having no backlight on an AMOLED screen means it is perfectly visible inside, but if you are in the sun, it's useless until you click on the backlight again. 

Contributor
challaday
0 Kudos

Nook for Android available

I just saw that Nook for Android is now out.  That now completes the e-reader software for my gadgets.  Nice. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Android available

[ Edited ]

@All,

NOOK for Android is now available.  Please click on link below for more details:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/NOOK-for-Android-is-Now-Availa...

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:9 members 270 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: