Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Android available

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

@All,

NOOK for Android is now available.  Please click on link below for more details:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/NOOK-for-Android-is-Now-Availa...

403 Forbidden?

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be okay now.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You Android users can get it here:

But warning:  This is a HUGE app.  FAR BIGGER than anything else installed on my Android phone. 17Meg is a criminal size for an Android app.  

Kindle App on Android: 3.5MB installed

Nook App on Android 17 MB Installed

Over 5 times bigger!

Many android devices are limited in size and even having expansion memory installed is of no help because this app will not allow installation on the expansion memory.  (B&N: What WERE you thinking?).

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I had no idea it was that big. Almost 6 times larger than the PC version.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was "only" a little over 5 MB installed...that's what I get for thinking.  :smileywink:

Contributor
joybo
0 Kudos

I can't find it in the Marketplace!!! What am I doing wrong?

proud owner of the Nook - never thought I could live without my REAL book in my hands...pleasantly surprised!!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

joybo wrote:

I can't find it in the Marketplace!!! What am I doing wrong?

Search for nook

Or point your bar scanner app at the QR code above.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

JohnP51 wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was "only" a little over 5 MB installed...that's what I get for thinking.  :smileywink:

Yup.  Check Settings / Applications, and note the size: 17.74MB

Sort by size, and its at the very top.  Bigger than any app on your phone, and bigger than the next 2 to 5 apps combined.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

As I mentioned in another post, I think B&N lack good software people and they are weakening what could be a superb e-reader

:smileysad:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Contributor
joybo
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Search for nook

Or point your bar scanner app at the QR code above.

I can scan it - it says it finds the url - but when I click the link to open the browsers I get a message that says there are no matches in Android Market place for the search: pname:bn:ereader

GRRRR

proud owner of the Nook - never thought I could live without my REAL book in my hands...pleasantly surprised!!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It seems they changed the app name in the app store since this morning

Here is the App brain link:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bn.ereader#

But if you go to the Market on your phone and hit the search icon and type the word "nook"  you will get exactly 3 hits.  Pick the middle one.

"Directions which are least explicit always end with You Can't Miss it."

This Larger QR code was tested just seconds ago:

If this does not work, or the search fails to find it, it might be that the application is not compatible with your phone.  The market is pretty smart about that and does not show you stuff that won't work or is forbidden (by your carrier).

Contributor
joybo
0 Kudos

That was it - I only got 2 results when I searched -

I only have Android 1.5 so now I'm looking into how I can update my firmware....

So not fair...LOL

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

joybo wrote:

I only have Android 1.5 so now I'm looking into how I can update my firmware....

So not fair...LOL

Ah, well that explains it.  1.6 is required.  

See, Android market is smarter than you knew.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Woo hoo!

My daughter just got a  Droid X last week.  The first thing she wanted me to do was install ereader so she could read the books I've bought (through www.ereader.com).  She was so disappointed to hear that B&N had an app for iphone and ipad but not for Android (or Windows Mobile, for that matter). 

Now if only we could get an app so that we could read the library books on mobile devices, I'd be in Heaven!

My "new" phone was bought about six months ago.  I love it (Samsung Omnia II), but the Nook app sounds so appealing.  Especially with the concept of syncing and remembering which page I'm on from one device to another.  Does anyone know how that works? Does the Nook have to be off of airplane mode (which is how I usually have it set) in order to sync the last page read?  Or does it only sync when it is connected to the computer?  If it syncs in virtual real time, (meaning I could alternate devices several times a day) without hooking it to a computer, I'd get a new Droid phone tomorrow. 

New User
Shachez
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Android is Now Available!

Free meal? It's not free. The app is so you can read books purchased from B&N. I own a Nook, I love it. And I was looking forward to being able to read the books from my Nook on my Android but guess what, the file is too big.I use Aldiko, it's so much smaller and I can load books on it from other sources. And guess what, It's free. I can buy from them or from other sources and read on my phone. I just can't buy from B&N and read on my phone. So guess what. Without a working (read smaller) app for android I will buy from sources that I can read on more devices. (B&N I hope your reading this). Their loss.

Contributor
Scubanights
0 Kudos

I would like to put another plug for the following features:

1 - Ability to change colors.  At least give us white text on black.  I would prefer setting my own colors, but that would be great.

2 - Syncing between the nook and Android app.  And please let this work for sideloaded content as well.  

I would also like to see the following:

3 - Go to specific page number and find specific text.  If we can't sync between devices, and if syncing between sideloaded content isn't possible, it really helps to be able to find a specific phrase to find the location you left off reading last.

4 - I find the line spacing a bit close together on the larger font.  My eyes are bad, not just blurry bad, but otherwise bad.  Large font with some spacing is really helpful.  Allow us to adjust the spacing between lines, please.

I am pleased that there is finally an android app, but I am disappointed at the lack fo features that are included for when you are just reading.

Contributor
babsgrimmy182
0 Kudos

Finally....Love the app...But....

1.  Can we sideload our mobipocket and ereader format books?  If anyone knows please reply..I don't have time to experiment right now...or if you all at B/N could come up with a program to convert our existing library over to Nook...I would even pay a fee just to have all my books in one place...

and wish list...

2.  I would like to be able to view my b/n wishlist in the reader and order books from there...That would be just fantastic.  

3.  Can we use the side buttons on the phone to turn pages...and a auto turn?  Wow that would be great...

and one more thing...

4.  Is the nook going to be coming out in pink anytime soon...

Thanks..and I am really glad you finally got the droid app out!!!  Thank you very much.  Good Job....

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

joybo wrote:

So not fair...LOL

You have a Cliq, don't you?  I was in the same boat.  

This threw me over the edge.  I rooted my phone and installed OpenEclair.  Best decision I ever made.

Contributor
Bill428
0 Kudos

I'm enjoying this app. Formatting seems better than the Kindle for Andriod app. The jury's still out on which app is best.

Bugs and wishlist:

(1) Can't select links (e.g. in the table of contents). Tapping just turns the page.

(2) Forced close periodically, especially if not connected to a network.

(3) Would like less intrusive "connection problem" notification. Maybe a note at the bottom of the window rather than a pop-up.

(4) Would like to sideload eReader.com purchases. I have a bookshelf full and would like access through Nook -- afterall B&N does own eReader.com

Contributor
babsgrimmy182
0 Kudos

I second #4.....
New User
AaronH
0 Kudos

Folks I can't even sync with the online store unless i delete and reinstall the app each time.  I'm gonna buy a book for the kindle and see how it works.  17MB is insane for the LG Ally

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 328 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: