Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

NOOK for Mac stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion

The subject says it all.

NOOK for Mac had been working flawlessly on my MacBook Pro running Lion (and before that Snow Leopard), but has stopped working following the upgrade to 10.8.

The Application window and splash screen appear, and then the app just hangs.

Has anybody else tried running this under 10.8?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Mac stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion

LarryOnLI wrote:

The subject says it all.

NOOK for Mac had been working flawlessly on my MacBook Pro running Lion (and before that Snow Leopard), but has stopped working following the upgrade to 10.8.

The Application window and splash screen appear, and then the app just hangs.

Has anybody else tried running this under 10.8?

I don't have a Mac but I noticed Apple posted the 10.8.1 update today. I have grave doubts that it will solve your problem...but it's worth a try.

New User
johnny_n
0 Kudos

Yep, same issue.  It must not be compatible...

New User
Sureshn
0 Kudos

Yes  - Same problem.

Deleting everything and re-installing also didnt solve the problem.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Here is a snippet from the NOOK for Mac log file:

2012-08-23 18:03:19.00719118 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2012-08-23 18:43:35.00139708 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00102681 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00105614 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00109170 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00261241 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00264133 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 18:44:24.00267679 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:07:19.00857795 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:07:19.00860615 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:07:19.00865765 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:08:15.00815276 ERROR [WkgJsClientAnalytics.cpp:179] Category=READER; Action=select text; Label=; Data=

2012-08-23 19:20:31.00086307 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:20:31.00088242 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:20:31.00092850 ERROR [RmsdkErrorList.cpp:74] RmsdkError: E_ADEPT_CORE_PASSHASH_NOT_FOUND http://edelivery.barnesandnoble.com/EDS/fulfillment

2012-08-23 19:21:09.00329022 ERROR [DeliveryService.cpp:106] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:downloadAsset, Message:error kWebserviceError_eBookFileTypeNotSupported (2138) (original error kWebserviceError_eBookFileTypeNotSupported (2138)) - <edsLicenseResponse CUSTID="Cd0HuHhFCUUwK0V3" ACTION="DOWNLOAD" BnEnvironment="B

2012-08-27 10:09:01.00641950 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2012-08-28 13:23:48.00674679 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

=================== END LOG ===================

New User
Sureshn
0 Kudos

Customer service acknowledged that 'Nook for Mac' is not supported on 'Mountain Lion'.

Its not good from B&N not to be able to support the latest OS.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Sureshn wrote:

Customer service acknowledged that 'Nook for Mac' is not supported on 'Mountain Lion'.

Its not good from B&N not to be able to support the latest OS.

There will always be a period of time before a new OS can be supported.

As long as B&N changes their app to support Mountain Lion within a reasonable (insert your own definition of reasonable here) amount of time, there is no problem.

No one put a gun to my head and forced me to upgrade to mountain lion before I was sure all my apps were supported on it. The NOOK app is not the only one I have that has had issues with MacOS 10.8.

Of course all new Macs are shipping with 10.8 now, so B&N should be working on upgrading their app to support it.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Bump.

I don't want B&N to forget this issue :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
dfjacobs
0 Kudos

Mountain Lion was released in July 2012. It's now October, and still no word from B&N when NOOK for Mac will be updated for Mountain Lion.  I hope the delay is due to adding support for the Retina Display (The latest version of the Kindle App for Mac is getting downvoted to oblivion in the App Store due to no support for Retina displays).

In the meantime, a good workaround is to install the new Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 for Mac OS.  This version has support for B&N DRM, so it can open your Nook books. Look in the Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks directory for files ending in .epub, and open them with the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 application. Enter your B&N Account Name and the credit card number you used to purchase the book when prompted.

Adobe's made significant improvements to ADE 2.0, it's now comparable or better than the Nook for Mac app or any of the other epub reader apps I've tried on my MacBook Pro (which isn't saying much, unfortunately).  At least you have something that will let you read your Nook books on Mountain Lion until Barnes and Noble get around to releasing an update.

Reader 2
Ferrets
0 Kudos

As dfjacobs pointed out, Mountain Lion was released in July of 2012 and it's now October. He suggested that we install Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 for Mac. But after this long atime, I realize that his suggestion is only a temporary fix. This delay from B&N shows their disdain for their customers, so I decided today, that the next time I go into town, I'm going to stop by a store that sells Kindles and take a good long look at them.

I'll try Adobe Digital Editions. After all, I still have a lot of books on Nook and I'm not willing to trash them. But if this represents what B&N thinks of their customers, then I see no reason to dig myself further into a hole of proprietary format books for a reader that I can't use on my computer. I mean, this is ridiculous. Even Microsoft isn't this slow to fix their products and they set the standard for poor response to upgrade issues.

It's just frustrating. I was able to move all my old VHS to DVD, when I switched to DVD. I was then able to move all my old movies to BluRay, when I made that move. I was even able to move all of my old 8-tracks to cassette, when I made that move, back in the dark ages. But I can't move all my old Nook books to Kindle. I suppose that over time, I'll just re-purchase all those Nook books in Kindle format, a few at a time. Bummer. I really thought that B&N was better than this.

New User
CraigBennett
0 Kudos

I tried to use Adobe's Digital Edition 2.0 to read my epub book from BN.   The two bits of information requested is: Username: and Unlock Code

I assume the Username is my Barnes and Noble username,  but I tried the credit card number for unlock code as well as my password for BN and order number, with no success on all attempts.  What number is the program looking for?

On a side note, the Nook Study works on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but does not display all the pages!  It just jumps over pages.

Regards,

Craig

New User
CraigBennett
0 Kudos

After posting, I tried it one more time.  The way I got it to accept my info was using my user name and not my email username.  The credit card number worked for the unlock code.

Adobe Digital Edition 2.0 displays the books very well.

Regards,

Craig

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Another bump to keep this issue in front of B&N's eyes.

Reader
AdrianneM
0 Kudos

Here's another vote for upgrading Nook to run on Mountain Lion. 

New User
gadszucs

I have experienced everything that has bee written here.  But I did find a work-around for Nook in Mountain Lion.  Rick-click on the stalled Nook icon.  Click 'Back' in the dialog box.  On the resulting blank screen, again Right-Click and now click 'Forward'.  The Nook icon is again displayed, but this time your library should load and now be visible and it works.  It would seem that loading is the issue.  Quitting is another story.  I have only been able to close by Force Quit, which is not ideal.  But, you can read your books.  B&N, please provide an update.  Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

[ Edited ]

gadszucs wrote:

I have experienced everything that has bee written here.  But I did find a work-around for Nook in Mountain Lion.  Rick-click on the stalled Nook icon.  Click 'Back' in the dialog box.  On the resulting blank screen, again Right-Click and now click 'Forward'.  The Nook icon is again displayed, but this time your library should load and now be visible and it works.  It would seem that loading is the issue.  Quitting is another story.  I have only been able to close by Force Quit, which is not ideal.  But, you can read your books.  B&N, please provide an update.  Thanks.

I just tried this and it works for me as well.

I am not marking this as a solution since it is just a work around, and we still need B&N to fix the application.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

Dear Barnes & Noble,

The Website reading is not a good fix. That is only good if you have Wifi available all the time. Not an option for those of us who want to read in the car, park, or anywhere wifi isn't available.

I don't even see a Nook for Mac app in the App store anymore. You pull that?

Do you have any intention of upgrading/fixing the Nook for Mac app? Or other iOS device apps? They are very limited in function. Three fonts, Three or four background colors.

I did find a work around for Mountain Lion from another poster in another thread here (thanks) for accessing your Nook for Mac library. It worked great for a while.

Click the Mac app icon. Mine is on the desktop, not dock. Let it load. When you see the screen with the Nook icon, right click Back, then right click Forward.Click on your Books and wait very patitiently until your library loads.

I was able to do that until a few days ago. The library loads, but the newly purchased books don't show up now.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

kellar wrote:

Dear Barnes & Noble,

The Website reading is not a good fix. That is only good if you have Wifi available all the time. Not an option for those of us who want to read in the car, park, or anywhere wifi isn't available.

I don't even see a Nook for Mac app in the App store anymore. You pull that?

Do you have any intention of upgrading/fixing the Nook for Mac app? Or other iOS device apps? They are very limited in function. Three fonts, Three or four background colors.

I did find a work around for Mountain Lion from another poster in another thread here (thanks) for accessing your Nook for Mac library. It worked great for a while.

Click the Mac app icon. Mine is on the desktop, not dock. Let it load. When you see the screen with the Nook icon, right click Back, then right click Forward.Click on your Books and wait very patitiently until your library loads.

I was able to do that until a few days ago. The library loads, but the newly purchased books don't show up now.

To get the newly purchased content to show up you need to perform a manual sync after you get your library to appear.

The button is in the lower left of the window.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I've tried the manual sync button, still no new books. Thanks for the reply.

New User
oldfart44
0 Kudos

Does not work on Snow Leapord either needs to be re-installed every time it is used.  I have both Nook and Kindle, the kindle app for mac works every time.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1 member 533 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: