New User
mfxwoodin
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Mac stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion

So, after making the switch to Mac OS 10.8, I can no longer use the Nook for Mac application.  Has there really been no response from B & N about this issue?  Has anyone had success in getting a reply from the company about this issue?  None of the workarounds really work for me.  It is very disappointing after being a loyal Nook owner and B & N customer. 

New User
flerchjj

I found a work around that seems to work.

After starting right click on the grey background behind the logo and select back. Then right click on the grey background and select forward. The Nook reader should continue to load and ask for your user information. This worked in 10.8 for me.

B&N still needs to realize this is not acceptable & fix.

New User
ashis
0 Kudos

Thank you. This worked for me (clicking back and then clicking forward, strange that clicking "reload" wouldn't work though). It's slow and clunky though. Barnes & Noble really needs to fix this. It's been over 6 months. My laptop CAME with Mountain Lion on it. Think of all the people out there getting MacBooks for Christmas. I'm shocked and horrified that they haven't fixed this yet. I wonder if Kindle works on Mac....

Contributor
dgatwood
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Neither this version nor previous versions launched consistently for me even under Snow Leopard. It's not a Mountain Lion problem. The app is simply broken.

I would recommend using Adobe Digital Editions instead. It uses the same DRM scheme as Nook (use your credit card number as the file's password, if memory serves), so it should be compatible with all of your Nook content. And the Nook reader software is based on ADE anyway, so it should render everything identically or very nearly so.

Kindle works fine in Mountain Lion as long as you aren't on a case-sensitive volume.  If you do, you'll have to add a symlink from libWEbCoreKRF.dylib to libWebCoreKRF.dylib inside Kindle.app/Contents/Frameworks.  I'm pretty sure I've reported that bug to Amazon, so hopefully they'll fix it in a future update.

Reader
Booklovermom
0 Kudos

Bump.  I have the same problem.  It's already end of the year.  Kindle and Sony apps never had any problems with my upgrades.

Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

New User
GNUboon2Age
0 Kudos

Its Jan 2013 and I'm having the same issue.  When will B&N fix this?  Have they said anything further?

Frequent Contributor
cubano100pct
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is Feburary and I am having the same issue with the app not working on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on my MacBookPro Retina. Used to work on my old MacBook on Lion.

When are you going to fix the Mac App version?

The Mac App Log:

Platform:Mac OS X v.10.8.2
NOOK for Mac build number:3.0.0fc9774
user:

application location:/Applications/NookForMac.app
system clock speed:2147 MHz
system RAM:16384 MB
system file size:715654 MB
system free size:246409 MB
log contents:

===================  BEGIN LOG  ===================
2013-02-01 10:53:19.00627047 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================
2013-02-01 10:53:19.00638512 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1455] select schema_version from bn_schema_version where id = 0 ... fail
2013-02-01 10:53:19.00649992 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: duplicate column name: lend_message
2013-02-01 10:53:19.00661627 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: cannot commit - no transaction is active
2013-02-01 10:53:19.00661651 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: cannot commit - no transaction is active
2013-02-01 11:01:50.00596547 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

===================  END LOG  ===================

Contributor
khbkhb
0 Kudos

As with all the others, this impacts me (still, Feb 2013). We've been quite loyal to BN, we collectively have an aged 1st gen, a simple, and 3 HD's. But it's quite annoying to not have the mac app work (especially for reference books).

Is anyone from BN paying attention?

Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

Hello,

We truly apologize for the problem that you are currently facing with your NOOK for Mac software. Have you tried what the user flerchjj has done? However, I did notice the following that after the 10.8 install NOOK showed with the system apps, not the second page with the third party apps.

Open Applications in Finder

Create a folder there named NOOkformac

Move Nook for Mac.app to the NOOKformac folder.

Hopefully, this helps.

New User
Lohramiller
0 Kudos

Who ever you are, I LOVE YOU!  This has been so annoying.  Thank you for the solution.  It worked for me.

New User
Poinette
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!!! I was starting to get really frustrated and your work around worked.  

New User
bayardk
0 Kudos

It's March 2013. I upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Nook for Mac stopped working. On March 3, 2013 I downloaded the latest Nook for Mac, version 3.0.0fc9774. I dragged it to Applications as instructed. It does not work. I created a directory as suggested above and moved the new program into it. It does not work.

1. The installation process should create any necessary files and directories, not the user.

2. The user should not have to search for a manual fix in an obscure forum thread.

3. B&N should have fixed this by now.

4. I've been a member for years. B&N can figure out how to use my email for ads, they should know how to use it to tell me: a) their app broke; b) it's fixed.

B&N, you've let this problem go for almost a year. I think it's time to stop buying membership cards and Nook books and switch to something reliable.

Reader 4
HollyReadsRomance
0 Kudos

Mine has stopped working as well. I also cannot open my books on Nook for web. It just shows samples and tells me to BUY the books I already own!!!

FIX THIS NOW!!! Or I will switch to Kindle.

New User
sbar
0 Kudos

Same problem here . It is really disappointing that I cannot read my books on Mac. May be it is time to switch to something else. Really really sad :smileysad:

New User
0ULOVEIT2
0 Kudos

Greetings,

Same issue as mentioned below: OS Mountain Lion user who just spent about 45 minutes and chat and ultimately on the phone with Barnes & Noble support.  I was told (twice) they don't support OS Mountain Lion.  Are they crazy?  What does this say about the state of the of the company and its commitment to the millions of users out there who have Nooks and also live in the Apple ecosphere?  I like to read my digital content on my MB Pro and iMac.  Not supporting the Mac community says either:

1. Barnes & Noble doesn't care about Mac users (kind of a silly notion considering no retail sales organization wants to alienate an important market demographic.)

2.  Barnes & Noble doesn't have the financial resources to continue cross-platform development efforts and is economizing development on a prioritization matrix.  We've certainly heard the rumors about Barnes & Noble and their financial difficulty: is this yet another indication?

To anyone from Barnes & Noble corporate.  We really like your application applications and your value proposition.  But, how should the Mac user community feel about this absence of support for it?  Please tell me I'm wrong and that I've drawn the wrong conclusions.

I hate to admit it, but I'm thinking about Kindle.  I may curtail net new purchases in the Barnes & Noble ecosphere if they truly arn't committed to cross-platform support.

New User
0ULOVEIT2
0 Kudos

Agreed: Except they still don't support Mountain Lion and its been 7 months since your post (not criticizing you in any way.) Last week B&N support told me they still are not supporting Mountain Lion. Are they serious about the Mac user community.
Reader 2
GreatBard
0 Kudos

Not only is this a problem for me too, but I also cannot open the www.nook.com/mynook to use my Nook HD for transferring files. BN told me customer service people do not even know about this yet, and they are working on a glitch where you cannot install the Mac MYNOOK driver you need to transfer files between Nook HD and Mac. This info came from my local BN store rep. Each time you try to open the nook.com link from a Mac you get redirected to the BN homepage.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Pointing my Firefox browser at nook.com takes me to:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208

That is not the Home page for bn.com, it is the home page for NOOK.com

Aloha

Reader 2
GreatBard
0 Kudos

Hi. I see what you mean. However, I cannot see where to get the MYNOOK driver needed to transfer files to my Nook HD. Do you see a way to do this from the screen you note? My BN rep told me it is a Mountain Lion glitch that is not solved yet. I appreciate any help you can offer, as I need to transfer files but cannot because when I click the nook.com link the page it directs me to does not have the MYNOOK item I need to install on my Mac to use my Nook HD for transfers. It is a one time only installation for Mac users and I cannot install it because of the redirect. Any ideas or solutions?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 75 members 710 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: