Reader 2
Sophy0075
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for Mac stopped working after upgrade to Mountain Lion

Your "solution" didn't help. I continue to have only the word "NOOK" on a grey background. 

I am SO tempted to start saving for an iPad Mini. 

New User
McSnee

Dear Barnes & Noble:

Apparently, you've left the Mac users like me to shout into the void.  This has been a problem for the better part of the year now, but no fix, no comment--nothing.

I just wanted to let you know that this is why you lost me as a customer. I've been a loyal one and have owned all three ereader versions, but no more.   

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 3G last week; out of the box, it's been a fantastic experience.  Everything syncs seamlessly across devices (even with certain Audible audiobooks), there are no silly restrictions on buying books while not physically in the United States, and the device itself is a pleasure to use.  I hate giving up on all the Nook books I've invested in, but if you're not going to offer technical support to what I can only imagine is a pretty large chunk of your user base, it's cut-my-losses time.

I understand that the company is in trouble and you're looking for places to save money.  Just remember that customer service is never the first place you should cut.

-Josh Mitchell

New User
Davelishes
0 Kudos

I found a work around that seems to work.

After starting right click on the grey background behind the logo and select back. Then right click on the grey background and select forward. The Nook reader should continue to load and ask for your user information. This worked in 10.8 for me.

-----------

Worked for me, too. Here it's almost 7 months later and B&N still hasn't fixed the problem. Perhaps they think that digital books are just a fad or that people will stop buying iMacs. It simply boggles the mind that they would continue to offer software that is broken for so long. 

New User
Inquisidor
0 Kudos

Thank you very much.  I have an iMac with OS X 10.8.4 and your suggestion solution worked perfectly.

Contributor
Rika24
0 Kudos

i just got an imac after my PC's hard drive crashed. i just went to download the Nook for Mac program and it says it does not support Mountain Lion... this just adds to my reason for believing in this: http://rika24.deviantart.com/art/eBooks-vs-Real-Books-365757642

i really hope that B&N fixes this problem as they are the only big bookstore that still exists out there now that my preferred one, Borders, is gone. This was my reason for going with Nook and not kindle, to support the existance of a physical bookstore that i can visit while also having a nice reader to carry instead of the larger books (which i still buy).

but i'm starting to think i should go back to Sony's ereaders after all. i already heard the rumor that B&N was going out of business, this only leads me to believe it's true.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Rika24 wrote:

but i'm starting to think i should go back to Sony's ereaders after all. i already heard the rumor that B&N was going out of business, this only leads me to believe it's true.

You should never believe rumors.  Or spread them.
New User
AdvidReader2
0 Kudos

Am running 10.8.5 It works -

Youtube video shows you how to fix it. 

http://youtu.be/nXDS7TswAxM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 643 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: