Contributor
aalbrecht
0 Kudos

NOOK for PC

I am not sure what I've done wrong but I can't seem to "find" my books that I downloaded into the folder labeled with my email address (and, I suspect, my account ID).  Then, when I go directly to the folder and the files, I attempt to open them using the Nook app, and I am getting a "....filename///stuff///epub" is not a valid Win32 application. 

I am certain I've set this up incorrectly being that I'm technically handicapped.  Help please!

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for PC

Well, I'm not the most tech savvy person I know, but I'll have a go at this one.  Plus, a new post on this thread may bring it to the attention of people who can REALLY troubleshoot this for you.  :smileywink: 

Let's make sure the easy stuff has been done first.  Do you have a shortcut to the program on your desktop?  If you do, doubleclick on that, on the left click on Settings, then click on account settings.  Make sure you're signed in with the same email address you gave BN.  If you just weren't signed in, this should magically make all of your content appear.

If that's not the problem....

What system are you running?  And where, exactly, did you put your folder?

For example, my operating system is Windows Vista.  In order to get to "My Barnes and Noble Ebooks", I go to Libraries, Documents, and the folder is there -- a top level folder.  Inside that is a folder labeled with my email address, and inside that are all of my epubs, however BN puts them on my computer.  I don't mess with that system.

Where is the program itself?  Mine's under Computer, Local Disk, Program Files (x86), then the folder Barnes & Noble.  Inside that is BNDesktopReader.

Hope some of this is helpful.  Any folks really good with computers want to give this one a go?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Nook for PC does not set the associations of epub, pdb, or PDF to point to itself.  And it doesn't work very well even if you set them manually.

Instead open NOOK for PC (should have Icons and items in the normal all programs Barnes and Noble folders).

Note if fo some reason your Nook for PC fails to show the books then you have an incompatible database.  This happens if you jumped from any of the earlier B&n Ereaders prior to 2.5.1.199.  For those cases either uninstall then reinstall (the recommendation of the admins) or delete the database

For vista and windows 7 where your id is YOURID thats

\Users\YOURID\AppData\Roaming\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktopReader file ClientAPI.db

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Oooh, I forgot about the upgrade problem.  Thanks, TNS!

Contributor
aalbrecht
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help.  I didn't have an earlier reader as I've never installed any e-readers.  It appears that somehow, I must have an incompatible database.  I open up the Nook application, reconfirmed that I'm signed in under the right email address, but none of my books appear. 

I am going to uninstall nook and the book files and start over. 

Let's see if that works. 

The application didn't say that you had to OWN a Nook in order for this to work.  I don't- I have an iPod Touch.  I was going to use the application to read on that and/or on my PC at this time. 

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

OK.  Let us know if that works or not.  You do NOT need to own a NOOK for this to work.  You could just be registered online with BN.  Similarly, you don't need to have a NOOK or a PC app to use the iPod app.  I've been using that one (over lunch breaks) with no trouble.  You need to individually tell each book to "download" onto your iPod, and you can probably do two at a time.  I had to tell a few to download multiple times, but they all eventually wound up on there.  Good luck!

Contributor
aalbrecht
0 Kudos

I still cannot get the application to work.  I un-installed it (using the application install/remove function) on my PC rather than just deleting it.  I thought this might remove all of the files I couldn't see.  I deleted the entire B&N book folder and its contents. 

I then re-installed the application and re-downloaded the books into the system selected folder (My B&N, folder w/my email address). 

The nook app opens.  I've signed out and back in.  I still see no books. 

While I do have a company firewall, I was able to download everything so I don't think that could be it. 

I am using an HP/Compaq PC running Windows (not Vista).  I have Internet Explorer 8. 

Help?

New User
2Neverland
0 Kudos

I've got the same problem and followed the same steps (install - delete the book - reinstall - load the book using newly installed Nook) and NOTHING changed. This is very frustrating because my child needs this book for his schoolwork and while it is a small project, it is due two days from now and I cannot go search for a paper copy. I really did not expect B&N to fail us like this. Older reader worked just fine. This "upgrade" is extremely frustrating.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

2Neverland -- if you had the old ereader and this is the first time you've used the new program, you might be having the database problem that a LOT of us had when we "upgraded" to the newer Nook for PC.  Suddenly we couldn't access our library...  And the solution is to delete the database file.

Aalbrecht...  Got me.  :~(  What happens when you're in My Library and you click on the "refresh" arrow at the top?  Can you download a free ebook using the Shop tab and access it?

Past this point, I really don't know.  Hope someone else can help you.  :~(

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

2Neverland wrote:

Older reader worked just fine.

Maybe you could just use the old reader software then. On my system, NOOK for PC created a separate installation. The old B&N eReader software is still there. In fact, I've got both eReader 2.5 and the older eReader, because 2.5 created a separate installation, too.

Contributor
aalbrecht
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To answer some of the questions that those trying to help have asked...

-I get nothing when I try to refresh.  I get a window saying "authenticating, sign in complete" and it shows my sign in information and it's the correct email.  I see no books though.  My library shows "0" for every type of reading material.

-When I select "shop" from within the app, it takes me to a new Internet Explorer window and the eBooks home page.  I've downloaded several free books- which I see in my B&N folder on my PC but the app cannot find or see them. 

-Interestingly enough, I am able to use the iPod touch app.  I've downloaded a book and it works perfectly. 

Does anyone know how to fix my PC app?

New User
snelson134
0 Kudos

I have exactly the same issue. I will note that I've also got the Amazon Kindle for PC app and it works perfectly.... whether I buy the book from Amazon, or a third-party publisher like Webscriptions (Baen Publishing).

Looks like Amazon wants my business.

I wanted to use the Nook e reader, because I wanted to take advantage of the lending feature, but until this sucker gets a visit from the exterminator, Amazon wins.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

aalbrecht wrote:

To answer some of the questions that those trying to help have asked...

-I get nothing when I try to refresh.  I get a window saying "authenticating, sign in complete" and it shows my sign in information and it's the correct email.  I see no books though.  My library shows "0" for every type of reading material.

-When I select "shop" from within the app, it takes me to a new Internet Explorer window and the eBooks home page.  I've downloaded several free books- which I see in my B&N folder on my PC but the app cannot find or see them. 

-Interestingly enough, I am able to use the iPod touch app.  I've downloaded a book and it works perfectly. 

Does anyone know how to fix my PC app?

How are you downloading the books?  Are you doing this from within the Nook for PC app, or are you downloading through your web browser? 

Contributor
aalbrecht
0 Kudos

I downloaded the books from the B&N website directly.  Now, maybe my app isn't working becuase when I go to the app and say "shop", it takes me to a web browser window. 

I don't appear to be shopping from within the app.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The books should be downloaded from within the Nook for pc app.   From within the app library, sync the app with the online library by clicking on the "sync" button - the circular arrow next to "nook for PC".  Sometimes after syncing the book covers don't immediately show and you have to click on the "Recent/Author/Title" button to refresh the window.  Then if you hover the mouse over the book covers you'll see a dialog box with a "READ NOW" and a "DOWNLOAD"  button.  Download will just download the book, read now will download it and open it.

If you don't see your book covers after doing the above.  Uninstall the app and delete the BN folder and the books from you computer (you will not lose your books, they can always be downloaded again).  Then reinstall the app and try again. 

"Shop" is supposed to take you to the browser.

Books you buy elsewhere (ereader, fictionwise, etc...) can be added to the My Stuff library by using the "Add Item" button in My Stuff.

New User
tkg32533
0 Kudos

After spending all afternoon trying to get my library to show up in the "new " nook for pc app.  I uninstalled (using uninstall) the old nook apps (there were 2) and all of my books. Then went back to the B & N site and reinstalled Nook for PC and it worked perfectly.  All of my library showed up!!

Hope this helps.  I was pulling my hair out.

New User
dcmoon
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for PC intructions

This has been a bear.  I can't find any instructions on how to use noon for PC.  I want to move books around in the library, but it doesn't drag/drop.  I want to rearrange the books.  Not many features, and crappy instructions. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 531 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: