Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Nook App for Android, can you sideload NON-DRM epubs?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Nook App for Android, can you sideload NON-DRM epubs?

KD67 wrote:

No, the Nook app is only for books from B&N. You will need to use another app like Aldiko or FBreader, there are others but those are the ones that I use.

Contributor
luvnbooks
0 Kudos

Of course you can sideload (on early versions you couldn't, though).  I have all my non-drm epubs in the My Documents folder of the Nook app.  Be aware, however, that it does take awhile for the app to recognize the files are there.  I need to reboot a couple times and let the phone settle for a bit before re-opening the app and finding all the files.

Once you see the "my files" folder in the app with a number in parenthesis next to it, you will know your side-loaded epubs are available for reading!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

luvnbooks wrote:

Of course you can sideload (on early versions you couldn't, though).  I have all my non-drm epubs in the My Documents folder of the Nook app.  Be aware, however, that it does take awhile for the app to recognize the files are there.  I need to reboot a couple times and let the phone settle for a bit before re-opening the app and finding all the files.

Once you see the "my files" folder in the app with a number in parenthesis next to it, you will know your side-loaded epubs are available for reading!

That is good to know. I had only ever used the original app and it wouldn't let you sideload anything

New User
Ezio_007
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

luvnbooks wrote:

That is good to know. I had only ever used the original app and it wouldn't let you sideload anything

Well, it worked until August 29.  On Aug 30, the new version of the software will only let you sideload .epubs directly into the NOOK\MyDocuments folder, but not folders under there.  I have the complete works of Shakespeare, and each book is in its own folder, with a corresponding cover image and thumbnail.  Since August 30, if I want to read one of the books, I have to move it from NOOK\MyDocuments\William Shakespeare\book title\ to NOOK\MyDocuments\.  Under 2.6, it read all the items in the folders, and showed them to me properly.

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

luvnbooks wrote:

Thank you for the information, this is very useful.  I am thinking of switching from my Blackberry to an Android phone in October when my contract is up.  Although I love the Blackberry, it pisses me off that the ereader application is not compatable with epub files so I have several books that I have purchased but can not read on my phone.  Thinking of getting the Samsung Infuse.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:67 members 796 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: