Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Application for Blackberry?????

Barnes and Noble is Lying to us. They are telling us to side load epub books to the Blackeberry, because that is all you can download from their site, and telling us to copy them to the Blackberry, and then read them. The Blackberry of course can not read epub books. They have made fools of themselves by publically telling people this will work. They also still advertise books as being Blackberry compatible. They probably are, at least for anything that made that claim before Oct. 5th - but they have severed access to the pdb server, so unless they change something you can't download those pdbs. Ask for your money back.

New User
gritsinct
0 Kudos

I am a prolific reader that purchased all of my books via B&N prior to receiving that email.  (As did my children, siblings, mother, etc.)  I am a very happy BlackBerry user and will not be changing devices, but I sure will be changing where I purchase my books!  B&N will not get another penny out of me and I will never enter their store again.

Even if there was some technical reason for stopping support (which I don't believe as I personally know several people that develop apps for BBs and have asked for their opinion), they way they did it - with half-as*** directions and almost no notice - I find to be very poor business practice.  Maybe they won't miss me as a customer, but I will definitely be passing the word to everyone I know and feel very sure that they will lose multiple customers just from me. 

New User
mujim
0 Kudos

I just paid for a book using my Blackberry B&N reader.  When I tried to download the book, I could't see it on my online library yet I can see it on my PC.  I called B&N customer support. 

Apparently B&N reader will not support blackberry phones at the moment.  They told me that they didn't know if this is permanent or temporary.  Then told me how to side-load.

(( go to HELP .  Under "Frequently Ask questions" click on "NOOK BOOKS"  on the page, scroll down to "NOOKapp" you will see ""Side-loading & eMailing content to your Blackberry® device"")) 

This is ridiculous.  Because of this inconvience I will not buy a Nook.  Instead I will start using a different company to buy my books from because if I have to side-load then I'm not seconds away from reading my e-book.  Am I?  I've been a long time customer and sadly I will become a loyal customer to some other company now. 

I've been getting more and more annoyed with them for not having all the books available to read on my blackberry to begin with.. and now I can't read any unless I get it first on my PC?  If I pay for the books as much as a Nook owner, then I expect the same quality service. 

Doesn't seem fair to me.

New User
mujim
0 Kudos

Yes you're right.  When I called the support and asked them why I couldn't read it on my Blackberry, and they told me to side-load, I asked the lady how to make my epub book into a pdb book (yes I am not very tech-savy but even I can see the different files and what my phone can and cannot read) she seemed equally confused.  I thought it was me.. I guess it's them.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Hi All:

I wanted to reply to your posts regarding our recent Blackberry update, clarify some of the details, and provide additional resources for support.

As you may be aware, with the update on October 5, 2011, customers are no longer able to purchase new B&N digital content via the BN eReader for BlackBerry software. All digital B&N content purchased after that date can be sideloaded onto customers’ BlackBerry devices.  All B&N digital content purchased prior to October 5, 2011 will remain accessible and available for download. After December 31, 2011, any B&N digital content that has not been downloaded to the customer’s Blackberry can be sideloaded to the device.

For help with sideloading and emailing files to your Blackberry, please follow the link below and scroll down to the section regarding sideloading and emailing files to your BlackBerry:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/help-faqs.asp#installation.  If you have any further questions or require technical support,  please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  Please know that we will continue to support our customers using Blackberry devices, and are pleased to offer free NOOK software for a full range of popular devices. To learn more about our free NOOK Apps, visit: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/free-nook-apps/379002321/.

Many thanks.

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
WildKnitter
0 Kudos

I tried doing the steps you outline for emailing the book to yourself, but the book STILL goes to your BN_EBOOKS blackberry folder as an ePub - NOT a pdb.  It STILL won't open in the app. 

Suggestions???

Reader
blacklab243
0 Kudos

Might as well clarify now - the side loading only works if you still have the Nook app installed on your BB.  If you get a new phone or delete the app, you are hosed since there is no way to redownload the old unsupported app.  That means no side loading new books and you can't even view the old books that you had previous downloaded while the app was supported.  I seriously hope B & N reconsiders a Nook app for BB or I may switch to Kindle also...

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

If you have the Nook app on the BB, and have no way of getting the book in the pdb format, what good is sideloading? I know of no way to download a pdb formatted book from my account on the Barnes and Noble website. If anyone does I would be thrilled to know the steps.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

B&N isn't selling or supporting Pdb files any longer so there is no way to get them in that format. The only thing you can do is learn about removing the copy protection and converting them to the format that you need for your own use.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Ah, but that does not stop them from selling books - even NEW, post-October 5,2011 books - as being Blackberry compatible. One example is 'Trance' by Kelly Meding. It was released yesterday, October 25th - and what does it show?

Read in Seconds

Read exclusively on these devices & apps
  • NOOK
  • NOOK Color
  • NOOK for iPad
  • NOOK for iPhone
  • NOOK Study
  • NOOK for PC
  • B&N eReader (Blackberry)
  • NOOK for Android
  • NOOK for Android (Tablet)
  • NOOK Kids for iPad
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

That is why I would purchase it as an epub remove the DRM and read it on the BB with one of the epub reader apps.

Reader
blacklab243
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What's a DRM and how do you remove it?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

blacklab243 wrote:

DRM is digital rights management which is copy protection. You need to google removing DRM as explaining how to do it is not allowed on this forum.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

blacklab243 wrote:

Google for "Apprentice Alf."

Contributor
WildKnitter
0 Kudos

Okay, dumb question...what app on Blackberry will read ePub files?  I was looking the other day and didn't see one...

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WildKnitter wrote:

Okay, dumb question...what app on Blackberry will read ePub files?  I was looking the other day and didn't see one...

I don't own any blackberrys, so I don't know what readers support epub for BB, If none are available the files in epub format can be converted to PDB in Calibre, once you have figured out how to remove the DRM.

Contributor
CWarf
0 Kudos

So you clearly did not mention anything about a new app for Blackberry.  Can you please just address this issue.  Are you going to have one or not?  Inquiring minds want to know...

New User
Ivy1
0 Kudos

Just as confirmation, I too experienced the issue of not being able to sideload books from my library into my Blackberry because my BB cannot read the epub files; after a long conversation with helpful woman at B&N, it was determined that indeed the sideloading does not work and BB will not support the epub files and they are not going to bother with BB anymore (even though they still advertise books online as being "for Blackberry eReader"). Basically this is a dead issue, therefore B&N has lost me as a customer. :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I have a new Kindle Fire on order precisely because of this issue.   I have a friend who has a Kindle and it syncs with her Blackberry perfectly.  I'm going to give my first gen Nook to my son.  After two years with BN, you've lost me as a customer.

Contributor
stargazergsd
0 Kudos

Add me to the list of lost customers. I have spent $$$ in ebook. I read 2 or 3 a week. None of which I can read on my Playbook. I do have a NOOK gen 1 that has been replaced ( by way of extended warrenty ) 3 times. It still works but is starting to have issues. I WILL NOT REPLACE it with another NOOK and I will NOT buy another book ( ebook or hardbound ) from BN. The last time I had issues with my NOOK I spent 3 hours on the phone with 2 different tech to be told that they could not fix it and I had to wait for customer service because there was something wrong with the account.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 293 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: