New User
wvbTX
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Application for Blackberry?????

Why does BN still promote side-loading when it does not work?

I have wasted time trying to get it working.  

Please fix your FAQ with viable solution or publish that there is no solution.  Misleading customers is huge mistake.  

New User
Silviyah489
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"As of October 5, 2011, you will not be able to purchase and download new
B&N digital content on your BlackBerry device via the BN eReader
software for BlackBerry. All newly purchased B&N digital content must be
sideloaded onto your BlackBerry."
Hmm... that seems fairly easy... but wait... doesnt work.
Dont even bother complaining to them because they don not care! Tech support did not help one bit! I wrote to 3 different administrators directly and received no repsponse to my e-mail below. No apology! NOTHING! Here are some key things I want to clear up about the Nook app for BBM. I had not reinstalled my app after October 5 and used the same one that I normally used for downloading to side load the file. Did not work. Then I was told to reinstall the app and try again. That didn't work. I tried all different ways to side load. Did not work! Why shoot out a mass e-mail if it DOES NOT WORK! And as others have said, why list it as compatible with BBM if side loading doesnt convert it PDB. Most of my books were EPUB and they would convert to PDB prior to the change but side loading does not do squat.

"I have tried this and it still does not work. I have actually spoken to the digital department and they were not able to help me fix the issue. I have figured out the problem but still haven't found a resolution.

Many books on my account are EPUB books (as I was told by your digital department) but since I was able to download it directly from my online library in the past, it would convert to PDB. On my phone all my books are listed as PDB under my BN_EBOOKS folder so that is how we discovered they were converted during the download process. Now that I have to side load the book it doesn't convert it to PDB. Without the option of downloading it via the BN ereader we skip a very important step, the converting step.

I copied and pasted the section where it shows where I was mislead into believing that this book could be read on the blackberry app. Like I told your digital support department, I am not looking for a refund, I'll resort to reading this on my computer if nothing can be done. This is just an FYI and hopefully you guys can resolve it so that I may read on the go since I do not come home until late. I am surprised that Barnes and Nobles overlooked this issue when deciding to change how books are managed on Blackberries. Since there is no way to tell whether something is a pdb or epub (under format this book says NOOK Book (eBook)) until I download it, this has discouraged me from purchasing any further books from BN until this glitch is resolved. I'd appreciate a resolution and a response.

• NOOK for PC
  • B&N eReader (Blackberry)
  • NOOK for Android
  • NOOK for Android (Tablet)
  • NOOK Kids for iPad
Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

Even Kobo Books has a Blackberry app.  Hard to believe that BN can't come up with a Blackberry app when Amazon and Kobo both have them. 

New User
MFFIA
0 Kudos

Thank you Barnes and Noble for letting me waste $19.99. I can't even side load my purchase on to my Blackberry. I will now no longer purchase from your company ever again and I will be purchasing a Kindle.

Contributor
blueisback
0 Kudos

Wow! This is really disturbing. I - like so many others in this thread - have been a loyal fan and supporter of B&N from day one of the NOOK. I too chose the original NOOK over the early kindle because of B&N's apparent support for it's customers. I stuck with you through all the freeze ups of NOOK one. And when the NOOK Color came out, I bought in early. And I went through the rumors and delays - staying loyal while waiting for the updates that would bring apps to the NOOK. And one of the good things about being a loyal customer was the support B&N gave my Blackberry. I could always have my library with me even when it wasn't convenient to have the NOOK or my iPad (with a NOOK app. I never buy from iTunes) Just reach to my hip, grab my Blackberry and read. Down time in the doctor's office, or at a track meet, or during break time at work. Six days ago, I bought the NOOK tablet - the first day it was available at Staples. Think about it. That's over $700 in hardware I've purchased and at least another $200 in books and apps. And only today did I find out that I can't use my Blackberry to read new purchases - after another $6.99 purchase - a Christmas book purchased specifically to read on my Blackberry during a flight to California. (My wife and I share an account, so for the last few months, I've been selecting my reading from some of her choices.) Can you even begin to understand my frustration. OUR frustration - all of us anonymous spenders - dropping thousands of dollars into your corporate pocket because we believed in you - in your loyalty to us. We've been screwed by banks and by insurance companies etc. etc. Now you. And over what? How hard can it be for one company - one company who has no problem taking our hard earned income - one company that has no problem telling us how important service to us their customers is to them - one company that was on the verge of going into the toilet until thousands of loyal customers committed themselves and their money to the NOOK - to do a little thing like give us us a reliable app to use on our frigging Blackberry. It's not as if you're giving us content for free. We're still paying for the book. You've made a corporate decision to cut us loose. No. We're not heavy weights like Android users or Apple users, but we are not negligible. And we like to read. We like to read on our phones. And a lot of us will read on our phones, but, obviously, not books bought at B&N. And if we're not buying books from B&N, there isn't any need to own the new NOOK Tablet. And without a NOOK there's no need to buy apps at B&N. It's always seemed odd to me that any company can get so big, make so much profit, that they can listen to loyal customers ask for the same quality of service that they received when the company was struggling and do nothing about it. That any business could be so successfull that they could watch money flow away and not do someting to mend the breach. Who am i kidding? At my age I should know better. Why should your company be any better or different than any other greedy corporate powerhouse? Go ahead. Top off the gas tank with the $6.99 I just spent. But get your next $6.99 somewhere else. If I'm going to give my money to a greedy corporate sinkhole, I might as well find a company that at least gives me good service. I here that new Kindle Fire is pretty nice - and less expensive than the new NOOK.
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Does everyone commenting on this post work for Amazon?
Contributor
blueisback
0 Kudos

Simple answer - no. I don't like Amazon. Never have. Don't like Kindle. Never will. I like the NOOK. I also like my Blackberry. They don't play well together any more. B&N made the reading app I relied on all this time dissappear. I don 't want to buy a new phone. Besides my contract isn't up and I'd take a $ beating. I don't want to spend lots of money on a phone I don't want just to be able to read my NOOK books on my Blackberry when having the NOOK with me isn't convenient. This isn't hard to understand. It's a simple matter of getting screwed by a company you've trusted. Read the posts. Most are from Blackberry owners who have been and still want to be NOOK supporters. Just give us back our phone app. The only - only - attraction Amazon offers me is that simple little app.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

blueisback wrote:
Simple answer - no. I don't like Amazon. Never have. Don't like Kindle. Never will. I like the NOOK. I also like my Blackberry. They don't play well together any more. B&N made the reading app I relied on all this time dissappear. I don 't want to buy a new phone. Besides my contract isn't up and I'd take a $ beating. I don't want to spend lots of money on a phone I don't want just to be able to read my NOOK books on my Blackberry when having the NOOK with me isn't convenient. This isn't hard to understand. It's a simple matter of getting screwed by a company you've trusted. Read the posts. Most are from Blackberry owners who have been and still want to be NOOK supporters. Just give us back our phone app. The only - only - attraction Amazon offers me is that simple little app.

What I don't understand is why there isn't a epub reader available for BB, then you can easily convert all the pdb files to epub and remove the DRM from your B&N books to read on your BB. If BB doesn't get android ported quickly they are gonna go bye bye.

Contributor
blueisback
0 Kudos

Honestly, a part of me sees what you see about Blackberry. They don't seem to be keeping up with the technology curve. With Android coming up with their latest update, Blackberry looks even more like the also ran smart phone. The yet to be released Windows 8 phone may move the Blackberry back even more. The point is though, at this writing, current Blackberry owners still represent a significant revenue source. I'm not the only Blackberry owner who got excited about the release of the $249 NOOK Tablet. I applaud B&N for the steps they are taking to change the face of digital technology. They've made such an impact on the market that giant Amazon had to jump in with a color tablet/reader. But their success is in no small part due to smart phone users - including the Blackberry owners - who have chosen the NOOK platform over all the others. Side loading? Emailing a downloaded book to myself? Purchasing supplemental software to change the digital format? Sorry. I don't get it. B&N chose to leave us. We didn't choose to leave them. At the risk of repeating myself - just give us back our app. That's it - and I'll gladly keep making my digital book purchases with B&N.
Reader 4
ho-humm
0 Kudos

sorry guys, no......blackberry is being faded out of the nook program

Contributor
WildKnitter
0 Kudos

Well, I guess all the more reason for me to switch to an iPhone...

New User
FreeDom-WK
0 Kudos

As much as I Like B&N, I also like my BlackBerry. I guess B&N's tagline; "Read What You Love. Anywhere You Like." is a farce! Bad Form B&N!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I've been reading Nook books on my Blackberry with no problem.  I just navigated to www.bn.com on my BB and got prompted to download the app.  I can't see the option now, but maybe it's just smart enough to see I already have it installed.  Maybe it's no longer available, but I only got this BB in early January so it was available within the last three months.

New User
LLebron01
0 Kudos

I am with you on this.  I can download a kindle app for my new blackberry style but not NOOK?  I don't understand either.  i have had a problem with this for some time.  I had one on my last blackberry style and now i have exchanged it for a newer one and can't find the app to download.  is this crazy or what?

i can't afford an expensive bigger than life phone like iphones but cant get the nook app even tho i have purchased three nooks?????   not good for us who read constantly.  bahhhhhh

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

B&N discontinued support for the BB app, so once I finished the book I had already downloaded I was SOL.

I've installed the Kobo app and downloaded a couple public domain books for when I'm sutck somewhere with nothing to read.  The only problem with it is that it periodically loses the page when restarted, and I have to scroll through to find where I was.

New User
kahnweiler
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kindle is on the same boat with Nook; no app for blackberry bold 9900/9930.

But guess what. You can purchase the very same books on Google Play and read them over the blackberry's web browser. its not bad at all.

These tablet manufacturers doesn't want our business, now we can take it to somewhere else.

New User
DeeDP
0 Kudos

funny i was thinking the same thing. im a loyal bb customer. once you go black u never go back. so why is this high tech fone so limited on special apps to be kind about it? glad someone else took the words out of my mouth.

regards 

germaine

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know this is an old thread, but was looking for a B&N reader app for my new Blackberry Z10 that would sync with my Nook HD+.  VERY unhappy to read this thread and see that it is no longer supported or offered.  I downloaded the B&N reader on my old BB Storm a long time ago but could never get it to work.  Now I know why...

I agree - Very Bad Form B&N.

Sad I am.

Contributor
a_silent_song
0 Kudos

Definitely not the only disappointed one here. It's virtually the only app I'm missing on my shiny new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone. I don't understand why they won't (at minimum) port the Android app over to the new BlackBerry 10 OS. :smileysad:

Contributor
Terry_C
0 Kudos

Well, i do see the Kindle app for the Z10 in Blackberry World now. Now they seem to really want to build a proper infrastructure around their media ecosystem. They probably understand that BB users are typically business folks, and purchase lots of books/media...
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: