New User
tfbarrett1981
0 Kudos

Nook IPad/IPhone App and Overdrive Library books

I am wondering if the IPad/IPhone nook apps will allow me to read books downloaded from my local library. They use the Overdrive service with uses ePub DRM. I see that the nook itself can read these books so I am wondering if the Nook Apps can also read and display them

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: Nook IPad/IPhone App and Overdrive Library books

Nope.  Nor is Overdrive/Adobe Digital Editions compatible with ANY of the ebook store apps (kobo, borders, kindle, etc.) as well as not being compatible with apple's ibook app.  

Reader 4
RobAndDawn
0 Kudos

Can anyone answer if this is still the case? Almost all of my reading is with Library ebooks, rather than B&N purchased books.

If so, then my plan to be able to read my books on my future Verizon iPhone purchase just went out the window.

And I'm assuming that Android phones would work (or not work!) exactly the same way?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

You need the Overdrive app for the Iphone. And yes it works the same on my Android phone

RobAndDawn wrote:

Can anyone answer if this is still the case? Almost all of my reading is with Library ebooks, rather than B&N purchased books.

If so, then my plan to be able to read my books on my future Verizon iPhone purchase just went out the window.

And I'm assuming that Android phones would work (or not work!) exactly the same way?

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

The Bluefire Reader app for the iPhone also now allows you to read ADE ebooks.  You have to sign in on the reader with your Adobe email address and password.  If you have a first generation iPhone (which the Overdrive app doesn't work on), this is a perfect workaround, although you will have to upload your ebook files wirelessly (check Overdrive's support page).

New User
Moppit
0 Kudos

Actually, It does work with the nook.  Actually, How I use it, and it works fine, Is I have the Adobe digital editions on my computer that overdrive uses, and check out books through overdrive to my pc.  Then I plug in my nook and the ADE (Adobe digital editions) automatically recognizes the nook and displays an icon in the lower left corner.  I Then just drag my library book to my nook icon and voila! I can erad my library books for my 3 weeks.   Just one word of caution though, When I originally set up my Adobe Digital Editions and it asked me to authorize/register it I used an email/pwd different from my nook and it caused problems.  I had to go back through and unregister it and then use the email/pwd used on my nook so It would transfer the books and digital rights properly.. Once again, when you initially install the overdrive/Adobe Digital Editions on your pc, Use your nook email/password to avoid headaches! And Happy Reading!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Moppit wrote:

Actually, It does work with the nook.  Actually, How I use it, and it works fine, Is I have the Adobe digital editions on my computer that overdrive uses, and check out books through overdrive to my pc.  Then I plug in my nook and the ADE (Adobe digital editions) automatically recognizes the nook and displays an icon in the lower left corner.  I Then just drag my library book to my nook icon and voila! I can erad my library books for my 3 weeks.   Just one word of caution though, When I originally set up my Adobe Digital Editions and it asked me to authorize/register it I used an email/pwd different from my nook and it caused problems.  I had to go back through and unregister it and then use the email/pwd used on my nook so It would transfer the books and digital rights properly.. Once again, when you initially install the overdrive/Adobe Digital Editions on your pc, Use your nook email/password to avoid headaches! And Happy Reading!

You do not need to use the same password. In fact you should never use the same password at differnt sites ever. I don't know what was causing your problem, but different passwords is not it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 283 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: