New User
oOKyleOo
0 Kudos

Nook PC Problem - Sign In:1017

Everytime when I try to sign in, it will say "network error sing in:1017"

Can anyone help me ? Does anydoby else have this problem ?

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider
0 Kudos

Re: Nook PC Problem - Sign In:1017

[ Edited ]

No issue here with Nook for PC right at this moment -- though this error has been reported in the NookStudy Student area.  There was no real resolution given other than a reference to someone being told by customer service to uninstall and then re-install.

Someone else also said they had to change how they run the program @ 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKstudy-for-Students/login-error-1017-network-error/m-p/645...

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Reader 4
meepsWT
0 Kudos

Have the same problem...1017 error - gone through these blogs and every where - tried all the stuff mentioned with firewalls, administrative rights, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc....

I am begining to get angry as there appears to be no fix for this problem and it seems the B&N crew does not give a crap as there has not been much help there.

What gives?  Just what the heck is 1017 anyway?  This is a very frustrating issue - otherwise, I love the nook - but this is definately bending my opinion in the wrong direction.

By the way, I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  Does anyone out there have a real fix for this?

Contributor
Lisabear27
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem on my laptop (Windows Vista operating system), and I am getting pretty angry about it.  I have also searched through the faqs and the posts, and nowhere do I get a firm response from an admin about what to do.  I have tried what other users suggested (reinstalling, updating Adobe, etc.), all to no avail. 

What gives Barnes and Noble?  I think I'll make another post so that maybe the admins will pay attention by the sheer number of us having the same exact problem. 

Contributor
Lisabear27
0 Kudos

Re: Using Nook from a Second Notebook PC

I'm having the same error in exactly the same situation.  I get the following error:  "We've encountered an error - please try again (Sign in: 1017)"

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NOOK for PC, and it did not help.  I'm not sure about the other person, but I'm running Windows Vista.  Thank you.

Contributor
Lisabear27
0 Kudos

Another Nook PC Sign in (1017) Issue - Any administrators paying attention?

I've tried replying in other threads, but so far no one from BN is taking notice.  I installed Nook for the PC on my laptop (running Windows Vista).  I get the following error: We've encountered an error - please try again (Sign in: 1017).

I have tried (suggested by other users..NOT BN staff):

Reinstalling Nook

Updating Adobe

Resetting/Adjusting/Uninstalling Firewall

Changing Admin Settings

Standing on my head and clapping three times while making a wish.

PLEASE let me know how to fix this before I give up on Barnes and Noble entirely for everything (Discount card, book sales, ebook sales, etc).  The lack of customer service on this issue is appalling.  I've never had to deal with an issue like this before with Barnes and Noble, and the lack of communication from the administrators of this board is certainly leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  What other options do I have for technical support besides this and calling customer service (cs had no idea what I was talking about and suggested the boards..HA!)? 

Contributor
Lisabear27
0 Kudos

Re: Another Nook PC Sign in (1017) Issue - Any administrators paying attention?

Forgot to mention...an admin DID reply to someone with the problem on the NookStudy board about a month ago saying it was a temporary issue and should have been fixed at that point.  A month ago...

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

I am sending you all a PM to help filter and fix this issue.

Contributor
Lisabear27
0 Kudos

Thank you for replying! :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
meepsWT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FIGURED IT OUT!

It's a proxy issue....In IE:  go to Tools>Internet options>Connections>Lan settings. Check the “automatically detect settings” box and uncheck all the other boxes.

In Firefox:  go to Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings  then check the little dot that says: Auto-detect proxy settings for this network.  Make sure no other dots or boxes are checked.  Click OK. 

Finally, go to your firewall settings and make sure anything related to NOOK is Enabled.

PS:  the same fix applies for Adobe Digital Editions

New User
slee51
0 Kudos

I am running Windows Vista. The proxy and firewall settings didn't work for me. The NOOK app works fine on my Blackberry, but will not sign in on my PC.

Also as FYI it's not only the NOOK there is also a problem when trying to register Amazon.Com's Kindle for PC.

I have no clue how to fix and am unable to find anything at all on the internet. Hopefully someone can come of with a fix.  Thanks.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@slee51,

Can you download the NOOKstudy app and let us know if you receive the same error?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/download/index.asp?bnit=H

Contributor
tonyend
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I started having this issue today with Nook for PC. I tried the following, none of which has worked:

1. Deleted the database file

2. Uninstalled/Reinstalled Nook for PC.

3. Unistalled again, cleaned out the registry using CCLEANER, then reinstalled. 

I tried NOOKSTUDY and it does sign in fine, but unfortunately I can't get my newspapers or magazines using NOOKSTUDY.

Anymore suggestions?

This issue is only happening on my Windows Vista laptop and not my Windows XP desktop. Also, the original issue that prompted all this was that my Nook for PC was not synchronizing with the BN.com.

Contributor
tonyend
0 Kudos

Update to my previous post. Since my last post i walked away from the computer for a day, came back, and suddenly everything works now.  Nothing was done other than what I stated previously.

New User
Melissa43
0 Kudos

Re: Nook PC Sign in (1017) Error

Please Help!

This is my first real experience with BN. I purchased a new Nookcolor yesterday and have set up all accounts as required. I do not have Wi-Fi in my home so I have installed the Nook app for PC in order to purchase and transfer to Nookcolor. I am unable to sign on in to Nook PC, receiving an error message of 1017. I see others have had this problem.

I attempted to research as thoroughly as possible before the purchase of the Nookcolor, a cover for it, etc., but had no idea I would have this problem.

Could an adminstrator help me please? I see that at some point there was supposed to be a PM to filter and fix?? 

Thank you.   

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I can't help you with the PC app directly, since I don't use it, but you should be aware that you DO NOT need the PC app in order to sideload books onto your nook device.

To sideload B&N books, go to your nookbook library on B&N.com, and download the books directly to your PC.  Then, with the nook connected to your PC (and recognized), sideload (drag and drop or copy) them into the appropriate folder.  on the nook "classic" it's labeled "my documents".  It should be the same on the nook color, but I don't have one of those to check.  The PC app has zero to do with this process.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Melissa43,

Please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

New User
zBubbles
0 Kudos

Hi there,I recently had this problem and found that my McAfee security had randomly set the permission level for Nook to Blocked. I used these steps:

1. Open the McAfee Security Center

2. Click "Firewall On" to locate the "settings" link

3. Click on settings

4. Click "Program Permissions"

5. Scroll down to locate the Nook program listing and click on it to select

6. Click Edit

7. Set Access level to Full

This allowed me to log into my Nook program as usual. Please let me know if this wirks for you.

New User
rhonda4me
0 Kudos

I have tried all of the reply's  and still can't sign in on my computer!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

rhonda4me wrote:

I have tried all of the reply's  and still can't sign in on my computer!

Call Customer Service -- 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Option 2, Digital Support.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 1,177 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: