Contributor
DFen911
0 Kudos

Nook Reader for Mac?

[ Edited ]

I just got my new Macbook (OS 10.6.6) and downloaded the B&N reader. But my library is no where to be found. On my old Windows pc the reader sync'd up with my library, but my Mac does not.

Is this a glitch? I've uninstalled and reinstalled. The only way I can get a book on the reader is to completely download load it to my Mac. I have to find the book, enter my B&N user name, then enter my credit card info (which I hate doing!). It then downloads my book as a PDF with a file name that is along number, not the title of the book. It won't even let me rename the book so I know how to find it. 

Can anyone tell me if this is right or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much!

Edit - Just downloaded NookStudy which at least shows my library. I hope they get a reader for Mac's however like the one that is used on a PC.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Reader for Mac?

Your only choice is Nook Study. I  think B&N thinks that Apple's share of the computer market is too small  to make it imperative to update the reader program.

DFen911 wrote:

I just got my new Macbook (OS 10.6.6) and downloaded the B&N reader. But my library is no where to be found. On my old Windows pc the reader sync'd up with my library, but my Mac does not.

Is this a glitch? I've uninstalled and reinstalled. The only way I can get a book on the reader is to completely download load it to my Mac. I have to find the book, enter my B&N user name, then enter my credit card info (which I hate doing!). It then downloads my book as a PDF with a file name that is along number, not the title of the book. It won't even let me rename the book so I know how to find it. 

Can anyone tell me if this is right or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much!

Edit - Just downloaded NookStudy which at least shows my library. I hope they get a reader for Mac's however like the one that is used on a PC.

Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto
0 Kudos

Wow. I'd think most places would realize the ever-increasing population of Macs. :-(

Here's hoping it'll change and this will work soon.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

There is no excuse for the lack of consistency between Windows and Mac or the lack of support for Linux.

There are many cross platform programs that look and work the same regardless of the OS, many are free.

Here's a partial list:

- Calibre

- Blender

- Gimp

- Dropbox

- Spideroak

- OpenOffice

- LibreOffice

- Lightzone (photo editor)

- Moneydance (replacement for Quicken)

- Web browsers

Contributor
Gunmetalgray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Nook for Mac Beta is available now. Pretty close to what I remember of the Windows version. Definitely not just a reader like the old one and defintely not Nook Study. 

Reader
Sarah_Stegall
0 Kudos

The NOOK for Mac app does not run on contemporary Macs. According to the tech specs, which are buried deep in the customer service site, it requires Mac OS 8.6. Yes, that's right, the NOOK for Mac app runs only on a version of an operating system that has been obsolete since the turn of the century. I downloaded the NOOKStudy app. Still the same problem. It will not run on my Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running Mac OS 10.5.8. Ridiculous. It would be more honest of Barnes & Noble (pause for hysterical laughter) to simply admit that they don't support Macs and be done with it, rather than lie to their customers.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sarah_Stegall wrote:
The NOOK for Mac app does not run on contemporary Macs. According to the tech specs, which are buried deep in the customer service site, it requires Mac OS 8.6. Yes, that's right, the NOOK for Mac app runs only on a version of an operating system that has been obsolete since the turn of the century. I downloaded the NOOKStudy app. Still the same problem. It will not run on my Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running Mac OS 10.5.8. Ridiculous. It would be more honest of Barnes & Noble (pause for hysterical laughter) to simply admit that they don't support Macs and be done with it, rather than lie to their customers.

Nook for Mac probably requires 10.6 (Snow Leopard), the same as Nookstudy. I upgraded to SL and have both running. I agree that Mac support is poor, but I believe it says:

"System Requirements: Mac OS 8.6 or later"

I don't think they have updated the req's since the release of Nookstudy or Nook for Mac.  the old reader was adapted from software aquired in the eReader purchase prior to the release of the Nooks. 

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Sarah_Stegall wrote:
My iMac is Intel Core 2 Duo with Mac OSX 10.6.7, and it works just fine. Thought certainly not the latest iMac, it is the most recent OS. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: