Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Re: Nook and Blackberry Playbook?

You know, we'd probably have more luck posting requests for B&N to port their Android app to PlayBook.  I really doubt that they will create a new app any time soon for a brand new tablet.  If they just port the Android app to PlayBook we will be able to use that once the Android player is made available this summer (hopefully).  At least they wouldn't have to re-create the program.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

With all the Android tablets being introduced and Android phones owning the smart phone market Rim is in deep trouble, also Rim had announced that they were going to have the Playbook be able to run Android apps at some point in the future. So I don't see B&N wasting anytime on this.

New User
lovebooksMA
0 Kudos

ah such doom and gloom. i have a playbook as do half a million others thus far. so B&N can either get ahead of the pack and release a playbook app and make us happy or wait for the competition to do so. i would prefer a Nook app but if i can get books on my playbook through another vendor's app so be it. we await the decision.
New User
Ducky_
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble are you listening???? i desperately want a bn app for my playbook!!! I've been so loyal to bn that i even worked for you for a while!!! I don't buy books from anyone but bn. I love my nook but its tedious carrying my playbook my blackberry and my nook! Please create an app or at least be willing to port your android app!!! I shall call 1800 the book and annoy your people until you do.
New User
bahamagreg
0 Kudos

I gave up on B&N and started comparing to the Kobo Book app preloaded on the Playbook. All of the books that I wanted were there and pricing was better through Kobo on some and better on B&N.... pretty much a wash. I have the B&N eReader on my Blackberry Torch and will be loading Kobo soon. Bye Bye, B&N!!!! You want to sell your Nook- go ahead..... you lost this customer..... I am a Crackberry addict!

New User
Joe1005
0 Kudos

PLEASE add this app for the PlayBook!

I will be doing the same with Kobo. I have already purchased one book from there. It is an excellent app. I wish they had newspapers and magazines on it like my Nook Color does, but that is all in the app.

Amazon is now realizing the essentially giving the reader away is good business because people will buy the BOOKS from you!

B&N, have the VERY best multi-platform system for books, magazines, and news and you will be successful, no matter what the device is. Some of us have a legitimate need for other devices (other than a Nook) and don't want to carry a shopping cart full of electronics around.

As for you Playbook naysayers? Just wait and see... RIM isn't going anywhere. The Playbook is far superior in hardware and performance than any of the other tablets. (IMHO). If you have overdosed on Jobs Kool-aid, please seek medical attention. 

Reader 2
Altarocks
0 Kudos

B&N, are you listening??  Kindle now works on the PB via Cloud Reader.  I want to give my business to B&N, but you gotta make it possible.

New User
DirkDarkBlade
0 Kudos

Add me to the list of folks wanting Nook for my Playbook.  I love my Nook and would like to read my ebooks on my Playbook too.

New User
ChicagoNewEngland
0 Kudos

Yes, add me on this list... need nook for the Playbook...

New User
otislafayette
0 Kudos

Add one more.  Won't buy any more ebooks from B&N until it's here...

New User
ZippoBD
0 Kudos

+1

New User
EricSman
0 Kudos

Hello!?!??! BN, anyone there? Get us a pb app please.

New User
sunkist1
0 Kudos

I just got the blackberry playbook for Christmas. I have been look for the nook app, but could not found one for the playbook. I would love to be able to use the nook app so I could use my Barnes and noble account to sync my books to one account instead of a different ereader apps. Please add a nook free reader app!!!!

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble is missing a big opportunity by refusing to make a Playbook App.  I ended up using the Kindle Cloud Reader on my Playbook, which works very well.  Only works in portrait mode. 

New User
aa915
0 Kudos

Sorry, B&N, I'm not buying a Nook.  Just isn't going to happen.  So I guess I won't be buying ebooks until they're available on the Playbook....

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

If there was a Nook app for the Playbook, I probably wouldn't buy another ebook from Amazon.  But since BN isn't producing any way to read BN books on the PB, the Kindle Cloud Reader is my only choice.

I don't like Amazon's proprietary format, but BN just keeps dragging it's feet.

Step up to the plate BN.

New User
rasljika
0 Kudos

I agree! Plase support!

New User
mikelcal
0 Kudos

Seriously the Android Player is now mature enough for the developers to get this app working on the PlayBook. And on top of that, a new NDK was just released! We want a nook app and we want it now!!!
Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mikelcal wrote:
Seriously the Android Player is now mature enough for the developers to get this app working on the PlayBook. And on top of that, a new NDK was just released! We want a nook app and we want it now!!!

You mean both a new NDK and an AIR SDK refresh, along with new 2.0 development build simulators to accompany them. (RIM's doing very well at making sure devs are ready for the big OS update in a couple weeks!) :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to join the chorus of "I may be leaving B&N". My Windows Mobile 6.5 phone may be on its way to kaputness, and I'll be replacing with a BlackBerry when it does (Bridge with the PlayBook is awesome). Neither BlackBerry phones nor tablet have support from B&N. :smileymad:

Even if the first version was no more functional than the WinMo Nook app (1.1.0.22 or whatever it is), lots of people would be satisfied. I love my First Edition Nook (I can't bear to give it up yet due to "feeling like a book", though I really wish we got the old "slow page turn" era font smoothing back still; I hate how fuzzy text is even now :smileysad:). But it's going to become a paperweight if that's the only place I can read my books, as I can't/won't/etc. carry it everywhere with me. :smileysurprised:

It's been shown time and time again that BlackBerry users spend money on apps and in-app purchases. Apparently this isn't money that B&N wants. That's fine, since it seems Kobo's trying very hard to seek our business. I might well have to go play with their bookstore a bit. :smileywink:

(By the way, for those of you hoping it's simply a matter of running the Android app through some magic converter so we can use it in the Android Player, it's not that simple. A quick look shows that B&N is using "native" code on Android. That, of course, won't run on the Playbook due to running a different operating system. That being said, if they've got an AIR version somewhere, THAT would be a quickish port to the PlayBook...)

New User
Kc2scy
0 Kudos

Well, I was waiting for the Nook app as well and just got tired of waiting and no response from B&N.

So I look at what Amazon was doing and they now have a cloud verison of the kindel that supports HTML 5 and since my Playbook supports HTML 5 I gave it a try. It works pretty good I give it 8.5 out of 10.

I'm not giving up my playbook so I moved to the Kindel Cloud Reader. Sorry all don't have anymore time to keep checking  on the progress of a app here.

B&N just does want my bussiness I guess.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 262 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: