Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

Re: Nook and Blackberry Playbook?

The Blackberry Playbook OS2 version now allows one to download; the Kindle App.  And it works flawlessly on my Playbook.  I have purchased over $200 in ebooks over the last ten days.

If BN simply supported the Playbook, I would have purchased all my ebooks from BN.  It is so sad that BN cannot come with a simple app for us Playbook users.

I don't like Amazon and would rather purchase from BN.

BN .........are you listening?

Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

B&N isn't listening, of course. I'm currently working with Kobo to figure out how to get my existing B&N library into their app. Their support is less "we want to be extremely helpful!" than B&N, and is not as familiar with their own products. However, they are committed to helping their customers on any device they have, which is more than I can say about B&N. (B&N never bothered putting their Windows Mobile version up on their site, they silently killed the BlackBerry phone version, their Android app is a totally different product from their devices [you'd think they'd make the Android version suck less so that it'd make people want to buy nook hardware], and so on. Not very "we want you to buy and read our books EVERYWHERE!" is it?)

B&N isn't winning any brownie points with me, basically. They killed the First Edition without bringing out a "book-sized" e-ink reader to replace it, and they aren't likely to bring out a firmware update to fix any of the remaining annoying bugs on it. They kill their reader apps left and right. They aren't at all willing to help us read our books on what has slid into the #1 selling tablet at both of Canada's major retail chains, and is starting to get noticed as a good competitor to the entrenched players in the US. It makes me wonder why any of us are spending money on books from them. We're locked in worse than if we had gone with B&N's biggest competitor, at this point.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lewellyn wrote:

B&N isn't listening, of course. I'm currently working with Kobo to figure out how to get my existing B&N library into their app. Their support is less "we want to be extremely helpful!" than B&N, and is not as familiar with their own products. However, they are committed to helping their customers on any device they have, which is more than I can say about B&N. (B&N never bothered putting their Windows Mobile version up on their site, they silently killed the BlackBerry phone version, their Android app is a totally different product from their devices [you'd think they'd make the Android version suck less so that it'd make people want to buy nook hardware], and so on. Not very "we want you to buy and read our books EVERYWHERE!" is it?)

B&N isn't winning any brownie points with me, basically. They killed the First Edition without bringing out a "book-sized" e-ink reader to replace it, and they aren't likely to bring out a firmware update to fix any of the remaining annoying bugs on it. They kill their reader apps left and right. They aren't at all willing to help us read our books on what has slid into the #1 selling tablet at both of Canada's major retail chains, and is starting to get noticed as a good competitor to the entrenched players in the US. It makes me wonder why any of us are spending money on books from them. We're locked in worse than if we had gone with B&N's biggest competitor, at this point.

Well Rim isn't doing too well in the US. The solution is to remove the copy protection and then you can read them with a compatible app on your Playbook. As long as you purchased the books and don't share them, then removing the DRM should not cause you any problems. 

Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

RIM's doing well enough that some major retailers are charging hundreds of dollars of markup over the current promotional price and those who aren't marking them up can't keep them in stock. *shrug*

In any case, the idea is to move to a bookseller who's willing to support my reading habits (as well as those of my girlfriend, who has spendier reading habits than mine). I'd really like to stick with B&N as I've grown comfortable, however they're making it really hard.

Kobo's PlayBook app doesn't do sideloaded ePub at all yet, so I'd be stuck with their Android app in the PlayBook Android Player at the moment. (Just somewhat subpar, is all.) It seems it'd be somewhat trivial to figure out how to make the nook Android app work on the PlayBook if they actually cared to.

But given the two alternatives, it does indeed look like I'm going to have to figure out how to strip DRM from nook books and download them all individually in order to do so. :/

New User
mikelcal
0 Kudos

I'm still waiting NOOK!!! It has been well over a year that we have been asking for a BlackBerry PlayBook app and have gotten no official response. Not a yes, not a no, not even a maybe. Just tell us already and we can all go about our business as usual. If the answer is NO, I'll support a book store that supports my reading device of choice. If the answer is YES or even a strong MAYBE (as in we're working on porting our android app to PB,) Then I will continue to wait. But as it is, it seems no one in your company cares. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up like that other big book store. What was it called? Barriers? 

Reader
Salty
0 Kudos

I just visited the blackberry playbook site and was checking out the apps. I did a search for 'nook' and found no nook app. But I did see the app for kindle. Very sad for me. I got the simple touch earlier this year. I want to get tablets for my kids in high school and the Nook tablet will not do. Sorry but I see more BN stores saying bye as customers leave. As my family might have to soon. I'm not going to keep two ebook accounts for four people?!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 279 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: