New User
Curlynoodles
0 Kudos

Nook app for Windows 8 phones

Will the Nook app for Windows 8 PCs and tablets work for Windows 8 phones also? Or is there an app just for Windows 8 phones? I cannot find an app in the app store on my phone.

Reader
gammy964
0 Kudos

Re: Nook app for Windows 8 phones

Have been through this with Windows phone 7, 7.5 and now 8.  So far no app for Windows phones and no response from B&N

Reader 2
TriciaS
0 Kudos

As hurting as the Nook ecosystem is...one would think that B&N would produce a Nook app for Win Phone 8. This is really crazy to me, especially given the close relationship between B&N and MSFT. I updated from a Galaxy S2 a while ago to a Nokia 920 and lost Nook. Crazy. Thankfully I can still read on my Surface device, but really it seems like we should all seriously consider moving to Kindle as soon as possible. It seems this ecosystem is winding down.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

New User
MorganRyzen
0 Kudos

Then again it might not be an explanation; do apps sell the OS and make it more popular or is the OS so good that buyers will choose it -making it very popular -and the app developers follow.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

It is the OS that attracts the Devs, so if that OS does not sell well, then you don't have Devs running to develop for the OS.  Three percent of the market is not a good place to be in.  Think back to the days when the MAC OS was at 3% of the PC market, were Devs writing cool apps and games for the MAC?  NOPE, not enough of an installed base, that and the fact that there were way to many models of MAC computers.  When Steve returned at Amelio's request, that was the first thing he did, kill off the duplicates of the different models and then kill off the Newton project.  As a MAC user since 1984 I feel your pain, but the fact that most phone makers are going with Android and Nokia was just purchased by MS, I don't see that getting any better any time soon.  Remember, these are my thoughts on the matter and not those of my employer.  Your mileage may vary.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

I believe it was around the time that Blackberry's market share dropped into the single digits that B&N dropped their support for that platform, so their lack of support for the similarly situated Windows phone is not surprising.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

New User
Jasbur
0 Kudos

This is all true but I have 3 Nooks and an Ipad that i have the nook software on with many books.  But lately I have only bought books for Kindle because It is available for my phone.  It makes me not want to buy the latest nook (the Glow) which I was in the store looking at last night.  Seriously was the main reason I did not get one.  I know I am only a drop in the bucket but still there has to be more like me. 

The Windows Phone is getting more Mainstream apps everyday so the not big enough excuse is nil.  Just port the app over from windows 8 Software so you can selll more books before your stock goes lower.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There are non-B&N reader apps for Android that will handle B&N DRM. Are there perhaps 3rd party reading programs that will suit your needs? They won't necessarily do the cloud sync stuff for you, but could be used to read on your phone.

Now you know how Linux users feel! :smileyhappy:

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The Windows Phone is getting more Mainstream apps everyday so the not big enough excuse is nil.

The number of other apps is irrelevant.  The question is whether there are enough users to justify the cost of developing and distributing the app.  That's the key "big enough" question.  As I understand it, it's still well under 5% of the phone market.

Just port the app over from windows 8 Software so you can selll more books before your stock goes lower.

As I understand it, the Windows 8 phone and Windows 8 PC software are designed to look the same but the operating systems are actually quite different.  Software cannot just be ported from one to the other.

Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

I've been a Barnes and Noble customer for years but I'm considering going with Kindle simply because there is no Nook for Windows Phone. Barnes and Noble has given no indication they will ever create an app for Windows Phone.

New User
falko2904
0 Kudos

The Modern UI interface, and the Apps for it are specifically designed to be ported between Windows Phone, Windows Desktop, and Windows RT. Only Desktop apps are specific to the Windows Desktop version.

Contributor
imanym
0 Kudos

It has been quite a long time and I have not seen a Nook app for Windows Phone yet. So, I just purchased my Dell Venue Tablet and have been using the nook app on it. I made a decision to go ahead and install the Amazon Kindle app. I have saved $400.00 from the first post I made back in April or June about the "where's the Nook app". purchase all of my books from Amazon and I will say bye bye to Barnes and Nobles book store and will purchase my book directly from Amazon.

Bye Bye Nook and Barnes and Nobles

New User
Shayzen
0 Kudos

Sadly, I'm leaving B&N as well in favor of Kindle.  I simply can't wait any longer and can't bring myself to invest in any more Nook Books when I have serious doubts about their longevity in light of the fact they won't support necessary devices.  Goodbye, B&N.  I have a feeling they are rapidly heading the way of Borders.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So why not Kobo or Google for ebooks? Their epub formats, as well as B&N's, can be read on any device supporting Adobe's DRM, unlike Amazon's. I wouldn't trade for more lock-in.

New User
MadeforVermont
0 Kudos

Well,  I just checked back in and there's still no windows phone 8 app.  I really want to read Nool books on my windows phone.  I am not going to buy a new nook, and for the last year have been buying books on amazon and using the kindle app.   I would love to buy books from b & n, but won't until there's a windows phone app or a browser I can use to read the books instantly.   This is very frustrating, but at least there's Amazon, and Overdrive for Library ebooks.  

Contributor
blueisback
0 Kudos

Windows 8 phone users don't have to make threats abput leaving the B&N platform anymore - because B&N is leaving you.  And, as a special bonus for your loyalty, they are also abandoning the Windows 8 tablet users. So, every version of the nook including the HD+ and over 200 books later - B&N has my share of the money pie and I have the only sensible solution - the kindle app is on my Windows tablet and on my wife's HD+.  Maybe with this "new deal" with B&N, Microsoft will deliver a nook book compatible software based reader app - then again, maybe not. Not putting much faith in a promise - or an implication - from either of these companies. Man, it wouldn't feel like such a royal screwing if B&N/Microsoft weren't being so "everything's great, nudge nudge, whisper whisper". Make an honest plan, tell us what it is, and follow through - yeah - right.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

Can't Download WIN8 NOOK App

Unable to download the NOOK Windows 8 App for phones, also, My PC WIN8, I seem to be going in circles. The webpages from B&N are there. But, the links to the advertized application won't respond. When I mouse over the weblink on he page , the HTML link shows in the browser. NO JOY! not  working... not to be confused with networking..

So, what's the scoop. Is there a WIN8 App or not? I wasted an hour of my time confirming that all the links don't work. There is no NOOK app presented in the Window's app Store. 

IS THERE A WORKING NOOK READER APP, I CAN DOWNLOAD TO MY WINDOWS PHONE?

IS THERE A WORKING NOOK READER APP, I CAN DOWNLOAD TO MY WINDOWS PHONE?

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Download WIN8 NOOK App

To my knowledge there has never been a WindowsPhone app. The Win8 reader may or may not have worked on Win8 RT (or Win8 Pro -- the two are completely different operating systems; RT is a Flash memory based tablet OS while Pro is an Intel compatible disk based OS).

Given the recent extracts, the B&N / M$ agreement has been modified so that B&N does not have to provide a Win8 reader. Implication is that M$ may be developing its own reader software.

Baron Wulfraed
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 680 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: