Reader
jillydee
0 Kudos

Nook app for iphone - does it use data?

I am new to the whole iphone game and I have downloaded the Nook app since I also own a Nook.  I'm wondering now though if when I read one of my Nook books on my iphone, will that cause me to use my data or not?  I share data with my son, so I don't want to use too much and I just wanted to see if this app uses the data when I'm just sitting reading a book.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook app for iphone - does it use data?

jillydee wrote:

I am new to the whole iphone game and I have downloaded the Nook app since I also own a Nook.  I'm wondering now though if when I read one of my Nook books on my iphone, will that cause me to use my data or not?  I share data with my son, so I don't want to use too much and I just wanted to see if this app uses the data when I'm just sitting reading a book.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!

Your NOOK fro iPhone app does use some data:

1) Data is used when you download your book.

2) Data is used when your library contents sync (this also downloads to display in your library view).

3) Data is used to periodically sync your reading position in the book back to the B&N servers.

Item 3 is really miniscule.

I'm not sure how much data is used by item 2.

Of course the biggest consumption of your data plan is item 1, you might want to only do this when you are connected to WiFi (this is what I do).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook app for iphone - does it use data?

I just signed into the NOOK app on my iPhone after a fresh install.

It synced to my library of over 600 eBooks, downloading all the covers to display.

This required 33MB of data.

I recommend that you be on WiFi when you do your initial login to B&N and sync of your library so that you only use your data plan for changes going forward.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 669 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: