Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Re: Nook app versus e-Reader app

[ Edited ]

Hi Astroman007,

Yes, they have added the DRM to the .epub format now.  As far as I know the old ereader will only read .pdb files.  Someone mentioned to me that you could read them in Bluefire or maybe it was Overdrive.

You have picked up a very old thread for the Free-Friday selection.  They start a new thread each week.  What I do is do a search for Free Friday's and then sort by date, then open the most recent one.

I know what you mean about the oddities, it seems like the boards kick you out each time you leave the post now and you have to log back in.  You have to log in to B&N and the bookclubs, they are two seperate logins.  If you look at the brown banner above this post you will see next to your name if you are logged in or not.

Hope that answered a few questions for you :smileyhappy:

Pinky

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Hey Astroman007,

You know that now they have us over a barrel.  The new DRM written into B&N's ebooks can not be read by Stanza.  I got a freebie that was an .epub file and I can not open it in anything except Nook (on iPod) and Nookstudy (for my Mac).  

They don't even have a version of Nook for Mac, you have to use the Nookstudy program.  I just wish these stupid book stores would do away with DRM all together.

Nook for Mac:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-for-mac/379002740

Frequent Contributor
MrPine

well i just must be lucky.

I have the nook app for my ipad. Well over 100 books in my library. And it synchs everytime. My books download automatically. And quickly.

I can open, and read my books just fine.

I have yet to have any problem outside of the occational shut down (which every ipad app has done at some point).

Seeing as how the nook app is free, i dont see the need to complain. it keeps my page in the books i ve read.

it works like a charm.

must be lucky.

my only other thing to pink is you assume since there are "tons" of messages online about how bad it is, then it must be bad.

I am not sure if you are new to the internet or not, but people like to complain. there are always more complaints on things than praises.

go to any message board for any product and its mostly about how it sucks or doesnt work.

if the failure rate of electronics was based on message boards, then it would be around 60%.

just saying

Don't Worry, I'm The Doctor!
Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Dear MrPine,

I'm very happy for you that you find the Nook application useful and that it works up to your standards, I do not. I do not like the Nook app due to many reasons of personal experience.  Just a few are:

1.)  It was forced upon us with out any notice of discontinuation of the previous application (eReader).  B&N's own tech department didn't even know that the eReader application was no longer being supported at the time of Nooks release.  The eReader application just stopped working as far downloading new content.

2.)  The Nook application constantly crashes.  I moved many of my books into archive to see if that would help, nope, still crashes time after time.  To me if an application constantly crashes it is not useful.

3.)  I don't like the "features" that are in the Nook application.  They do not compare to the original eReader or Stanza.

Yes the application is free, so are many other ereader applications that work better than Nook.  

I am not one to assume anything, do a search for your self and see how many complaints you come up with concerning the Nook application.  I have a mind of my own thank you and have come to my own conclusions concerning the Nook application and they are not based on the message boards or complaints on the internet.

I am not trying to force anyone to stop using the Nook application, if it works for you that's great.  I expect that each person will come to their own conclusions.

Pinky:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MrPine
0 Kudos

i just think you sound extremely bitter over something that doesn't warrent it.

That is all. but you are entitled to your own opinion.

As am I.

Don't Worry, I'm The Doctor!
Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Hi Astroman007,

Yes, they have added the DRM to the .epub format now.  As far as I know the old ereader will only read .pdb files.  Someone mentioned to me that you could read them in Bluefire or maybe it was Overdrive.

You can use Bluefire to read B&N ebooks -- it's a free iPhone and iPad app (soon to be available for Android too) that is able to read B&N's DRM.  However I don't believe it can read pdb, only epub.  You also have to download the ebook files onto your computer and then transfer them onto your device via iTunes or their wireless transfer method (explained in their FAQ).  Not as easy as simply downloading from B&N's server, but I think it's worth it for a more stable app.

Pinky, I've had the same problems you mention with the Nook app.  The last time I tried to read a book in it, it crashed at least once a day, usually more.  It is also horribly slow at turning the page, especially if I wanted to go backwards a page or if I was turning to a new chapter.  I started using Bluefire because it was a much faster, more stable app.

Wordsmith
swan480

MrPine wrote:

I have yet to have any problem outside of the occational shut down (which every ipad app has done at some point).

I've been reading ebooks from B&N since last summer, first on the eReader app, then on the Nook app, and finally on Bluefire.  The Nook app definitely crashed more often than the eReader app.  It was also slower to start up, slower to turn the page, slower to start a new chapter.  When I'm reading I want to be able to read, not have to wait for an app to start up or reboot or figure out what the heck should be on the next page.  I'm glad you've been lucky, but many of us have not been, and there is no need to be nasty.  Pinky is NOT the only one with complaints, and they have been voiced by enough people that they have proven themselves to be valid.  And just because an app is free doesn't mean it's excused for being problematic.  Bluefire is free, too, and I've never had any of the problems with it that I had with the Nook app.

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

Books can be downloaded directly into blue fire reader for iPad from your online B&N library. Hit the download button, the next screen will ask 'open in blue fire reader?' click it. Screen changes to BlueFire reader and downloads book unless the file is very large. The first time you download from B&N your book will likely show up at the end of your booklist with a circle and a slash in it. Click on the book. A box opens asking for user Id and password. User id is the name the B&N account is registered to, example 'mary miller'. Password is the credit card number on the account. Hope this helps to speed things up a bit by eliminating the need to hook up your iPad to the computer. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You can use Bluefire to read B&N ebooks -- it's a free iPhone and iPad app (soon to be available for Android too) that is able to read B&N's DRM.  However I don't believe it can read pdb, only epub.  You also have to download the ebook files onto your computer and then transfer them onto your device via iTunes or their wireless transfer method (explained in their FAQ).  Not as easy as simply downloading from B&N's server, but I think it's worth it for a more stable app.
Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I don't think the software being "free" is an excuse, either. The Kindle software, as well as the original eReader software, are free as well. They work very well, and contribute to someone actually buying books to read with the software. The new nook software is laggy (at least on my 2nd gen iPod touch - YMMV) and lacks options  the old BN eReader had. I read mostly on my nook now, but I have loaded Bluefire on my iPod touch just in case I forget my nook at home. It works better, IMO, than the nook app and had the added ability to read Adobe DRM'd files.

Contributor
Astroman007
0 Kudos

Well, not to pile on, but I will anyway!  :smileyvery-happy:

One of the single biggest features that I want in an ebook reader is that there be no flashing, no animation when I turn a page.  Alas, Nook cannot do that; neither can Bluefire.

I also want to open an ereading app and have it return to the page and book where I left off!  Nook does NOT do that.  Instead, it returns to the bookshelf-- a nuisance!

While there are many other problems, I'll just mention one more--try to look up a word or make a note--and a bright white, glaring screen confronts you.  Bad design!

New User
BelleVoyage
0 Kudos

No, as a matter of fact the new NOOK app is a horrible app.  B&N should have stuck with the original app.  What ever you do do NOT delete the original ereader app.  Trust me you will regret it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 531 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: