Contributor
Sharksweetie
0 Kudos

Nook app versus e-Reader app

I have the B&N e-reader app on my ipad and am very happy with it.  Is there any advantag e tyo the Nook app over the e-Reader app?  I downloaded it and it seems like the pages hold much less print.  That's a downler to me -- anything good about it?

Thanks.

Sass

"A good book is a friend for life."
Reader 2
WordWalker
0 Kudos

Re: Nook app versus e-Reader app

Same impression here...I am still using my old B&N eReader until the bugs are worked out of the Nook app. "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Contributor
FredC
0 Kudos

I agree.  The B&N eReader app is much better than the new Nook app.  It has more setup options that allow better personalization.  I hope they continue to support the B&N app going forward.

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

The highlighting feature looks like it might be useful. Of course, once I leave the book, the notes and highlights disappear. Also, it won't save the last page read. I'll continue to use the B&N Reader along with my Nook. The Nook app for the Ipod tocuh  isn't ready for public consumption.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

The Nook app does seem to support the retina display and the text looks very nice and sharp.

It does seem to lack a medium sized font. The medium size is just a little too small for me, and the next size up is huge.There also seems to be a bug in turning off full justification.

Reader
nellibly
0 Kudos

I'm very disappointed in the Nook Android app. The iPhone app and the eReader.com app both offer a number of features, including autoscroll. Having to swipe my thumb across the page every few seconds is distracting and, with my slight arthritis, painful after about 20 minutes. Sadly eReader.com, owned by B&N doesn't offer all the same titles as the B&N site. I've begged tech support for this feature and all I get are polite responses thanking me for my suggestion. If the Kindle app comes up with the feature first, it's goodbye B&N. 

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

B&N is no longer supporting the B&N ereader application for any technology, the iPod touch, iPhone, iPad...  They are forcing the nook app on us all.  

I went to download a new book I bought yesterday to my B&N ereader on my iPod and I couldn't get the app to download it.  After trying several geek tricks I was forced to call B&N tech support.  The tech support group couldn't get it to work either.  I told them that it wouldn't even let me sign in.  I asked if they are still supporting the B&N ereader now that nook is out and they couldn't answer my question.  I asked them what kind of tech support group was this, they had no answers for any of the issues I questioned.  

Finally I spoke to a supervisor and asked if they were no longer supporting the ereader app and he said (after I just about put the words in his mouth) that they are only supporting and allowing the nook application to download newly purchased books.  Poor tech support and a poor application, sorry mix.

I asked if there was another reader I could use (for my ipod touch) and told them how much I HATE the nook app, due to it constantly crashing (not to mention other issues) and they said no, because of their pdb format you can only read on nook.  NOT true, you can add all of your books to the Stanza ereader (for iPod, I don't know about other items) and read them just fine.  You can customize it any way you choose and it runs great!!!  It will ask you the first time to put in the credit card info you used to purchase the book, it won't charge you twice, just the original purchase you made through B&N.  This is one person who will not be forced to use their crappy app.

For the desktop I still use the B&N ereader, I just download the books from the website and pull them up in the B&N ereader  I still refuse to use the nook application, there is nothing that I like about it.  And like many others, once my gift card runs out, will no longer be a B&N customer.

Sign me Frustrated,

Pinky:smileymad:

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

I guess I don't understand all the love people have for the Stanza reader. I can't stand it and I only use it on my iPad for pdb books I bought from ereader and still haven't read yet. When I'm done with those I'm done using Stanza. Stanza's syncing is extremely buggy for ereader (right now it's broken) and if I have to side-load books, I'd rather read them in iBooks because the display is so much nicer.

I've been using the Nook app on my iPhone and iPad and although I have to say I was resistant at first, I really like it now. The retina display for text is beautiful on the iPhone and I can customize the size and look of the text on my iPad. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite readers. Yes there have been some growing pains, but at least B&N has been responsive and quick to fix bugs.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi there Javabird,

I'm so happy that you find the nook so great and that it is working for you, you are in a small group there, lol.  I too was talking about the .pdb books from B&N for Stanza.  Stanza is the only other reader that you can read the .pdb file extension (that I have found) other than nook.  

You state that you were using Stanza on your iPad to read them, but you would rather use the ibooks application.  On the iPod touch you don't have that choice, it won't let you read .pdb files on the ibooks application, ibooks will only take .pdf and .epub file extensions.  

For the Stanza on the iPod touch and Mac you can choose all sorts of ways to read your book, you can choose the font, font size, colors, layout, background...  On the Mac you do not have to side load your books, go to View, Layout and choose vertical scrolling.  I'm guessing you would have the same options in iPad.

And as far as nook goes, if it is so wonderful how come there are so many boards of people complaining about it and saying how much they hate it?  Not to mention, do a google search and see what you come up with.

People are upset because nook was forced upon them and the B&N ereader was yanked out from under them without word or notice, it just stopped working and most of their tech support couldn't even tell you why.  When I called tech support over the issues of it not working they didn't even realize that the B&N ereader was no longer being supported, until I told them.  There has been lack of communication to readers (and it seems their tech support) about the nook tech support has been shoddy at best.  I am a true believer of "if it works, don't fix it".

Sorry, you will never make me a believer out of the nook application.  I think it's awful and I think B&N just threw it at us before it was ready.  I do not believe that they have been responsive or fixed anything in a fast mannor.  And the way they keep everyone in the dark (even their employees) about information is a terrible way to do business.  I'll bet they loose a good amount of customers over this and the handling of the entire situation.

Pinky

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well you are all lucky I guess.  There isn't a Nook App for the Blackberry, so if they stop supporting the e-reader app then I am totally screwed with new purchases.  I WILL NOT buy an IPhone.  I guess I will just have to keep using mobi pocket for the blackberry. 

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda

I too was talking about the .pdb books from B&N for Stanza.  Stanza is the only other reader that you can read the .pdb file extension (that I have found) other than nook.    

There's always the original from Fictionwise/eReader.  Search the App store for eReader and the top one says eReader from Fictionwise Inc.

Lots of ways to download books into it, including uploading your pdbs to their site to download into the app.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thank you tonyabionda,

I had no idea you could do that, what a helpful tid-bit!  You Rock!  See now, who needs nook, lol

Thanks bunches!

Pinky:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Astroman007

Pinky, just wanted to say that your posts in this thread were informative and mirror my take on the Nook and B&N eReader apps exactly.  The Nook app is still woefully inadequate, with a poor implementation.

It's bizarre that I can launch and use my B&N eReader app--even sign in with my account settings and go to the Barnes & Noble bookstore, where I can download samples, etc.  The interface is still there in the app, it even returns you to the app after going to the bookstore!  But you cannot access your books, your book shelf, etc.  It's deceptive, in fact.  You think it's all working, but it's not.  

Well, actually it is, as the book library does have your samples.  They just cannot be opened in the eReader!

Plus, as you say, the eReader app is a much better ereader than Nook; indeed, it and Stanza are much better than Nook (or Kindle)  They shouldn't be permitted to remove functionality after downloading an app-- even a free one.  

I'm not sure that I get why Amazon and Barnes & Noble chose to abandon elegant, full-featured, time-tested apps that they bought out (Stanza and eReader) and replace them with semi-functional ones.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thank you Astroman007 :smileyhappy:

Pinky

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hey Astroman007,

You know that now they have us over a barrel.  The new DRM written into B&N's ebooks can not be read by Stanza.  I got a freebie that was an .epub file and I can not open it in anything except Nook (on iPod) and Nookstudy (for my Mac).  

They don't even have a version of Nook for Mac, you have to use the Nookstudy program.  I just wish these stupid book stores would do away with DRM all together.  Don't they realize that we will get ebooks that work for us in programs we choose, not get ebooks from a certain store just because we like that store?

I haven't tried an .pdb file in a while, I'm wondering if that will work through fictionwise now, with the new DRM.

Pinky

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

You know that now they have us over a barrel.  The new DRM written into B&N's ebooks can not be read by Stanza.  I got a freebie that was an .epub file and I can not open it in anything except Nook (on iPod) and Nookstudy (for my Mac).  

B&N's DRM can be read by Bluefire, which is a free app just like Stanza.  ADE DRM can be read by Bluefire too.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Hey Astroman007,

They don't even have a version of Nook for Mac, you have to use the Nookstudy program.  I just wish these stupid book stores would do away with DRM all together.  Don't they realize that we will get ebooks that work for us in programs we choose, not get ebooks from a certain store just because we like that store?

I haven't tried an .pdb file in a while, I'm wondering if that will work through fictionwise now, with the new DRM.

Pinky

It's not the bookstore requiring the DRM, it's the publisher.  B&N just chose to implement a different method of DRM.  It is my understanding they've provided that DRM to Adobe so it can be incorporated into the other readers that use the Adobe version of DRM but that most other companies, so far, have chosen not to do that.

Contributor
Astroman007
0 Kudos

Is there any way of turning back on B&N eReader's ability to fetch books from one's Barnes & Noble bookshelf?

I was browsing with iPhone Explorer and looked within the B&N eReader folders.  There are several preference related files, including a cookies.plist, that look promising!  I'm wondering if that's how they accomplished their "magic" of blocking access!

Before messing with them, however, I'd like to see if there's any guidance out there.  Of course, I don't really use the B&N eReader at this point.  Instead, I flip between eReader and Stanza.  So, maybe I['ll just have to start experimenting with those prefs!

I'd like to start buying ebooks, but want to ensure that the ebook reader app is a good one, and that I don't have the rug pulled out from under me again!

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Hi Astroman007,

It was my understanding from B&N that they are no longer allowing their server to transmit information to the B&N eReader application.  So if you were to change the settings, from B&N's end the information would not allow the application to download to your iPod application of eReader.  

So in other words, lol, you can use the B&N ereader if you download the ebooks to your computer and then pull them up in B&N eReader for your computer, but as far as the iPod is concerned that application is being blocked from B&N, I don't think you will be able to get their server to allow you to download recent purchases to it.

Hope that made sense,

Pinky:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Astroman007
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks!  I think the other thing I've figured out is that B & N switched to a DRM'd epub format rather than the old Palm ereader pdb one.  So, books bought from the web store couldn't work in eReader, in any event, unless one converted them.

Oh, one other question.  I'm able to post here without any problem, but try as I might to the Free Fridays book club, it won't let me.  It bounces me back to my account.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-NOOKcolor-and/Free-Fridays/ba-p/511082

Any ideas on that one?  I was wanting to post a question as to whether it's only 1 book a Friday or whether more is offered.

I also  noticed that the blog is undated, so if one enters from outside B & N, one is likely to end up in the wrong week!  

There are some web oddities around here!  (I don't mean the posters!!)  Even when selecting this thread from my browser, it gave me an authentication error several times!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 77 members 739 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: