Inspired Correspondent
LEChakan
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

I agree on this point:  The pausity of response from B&N is offensive. 

Still, as much as I very much like my WP Phone,(and was secretly hoping there was a compatible Nook app, so that I could "play")  there is no freaking way that I'm going to be reading books on it. That's why I carry an e-reader  - one that's large enough to "feel" and "read" like a book, but not so small as to "feel" and "read" like a phone.

I suppose if you haven't got an e-reader, or for some reason are possessed of the idea that reading is ideally done on a screen the size of a small grocery receipt, this would be a big issue.

Whatever the case, bravo to Kindle for having the foresight to corner the grocery receipt market!.

L

Reader 2
chinookNY
0 Kudos

I love my NOOK and want to buy a Windows7 phone.  Don't make me go Android!!!! 

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

The Windows Phone is too valuable of a tool to give up. It is THE tool for real professionals (and non-professionals for that matter.) So don't give up the Windows Phone because B&N won't listen to its consumer base. Give up the Nook. Kindle and Blio are both available for the Windows Phone 7.

MitigationElf!
Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

@ LEChakan: Actually, I do NOT want yet another device to cary around with me. The Windows Phone 7 is the perfect, single device on which to view video, read books, play games, communicate with friends and collegues.... and so much more. Carrying more than one device just increases clutter as well as the plausability of stuff being stolen. Amazon understands this. Aparently B&N does not. (BTW - the only e-reader out there that truly gives the feel of a book is ibooks by crapple - makes my fingers wanna fall off to type that, but it is true!)

@B&N - get on the ball!

MitigationElf!
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

@ LEChakan: Actually, I do NOT want yet another device to cary around with me. The Windows Phone 7 is the perfect, single device on which to view video, read books, play games, communicate with friends and collegues.... and so much more. Carrying more than one device just increases clutter as well as the plausability of stuff being stolen. Amazon understands this. Aparently B&N does not. (BTW - the only e-reader out there that truly gives the feel of a book is ibooks by crapple - makes my fingers wanna fall off to type that, but it is true!)

@B&N - get on the ball!

WP7 is basically non existent. Microsoft is making more money off Android than they are off WP7. I don't think they are going to spend the resources for something with insignificant market share. Microsoft really dropped the ball on their phone OS. 

New User
RonV42

Windows Phone 7 is not non-existent.  It has 2% of market share and growing.   And with Mango (7.5) along with new hardware + Nokia's commitment to the platform its going to be a winner.  B&N has had enough time to make this app for WP7.  Oh yea and they don't have to deal with Apple's 30% cut for in app purchases like they do on  the Apple platform.

Zer
New User
Zer

Plesae develop this B&N! I own all three Nooks, I have read Nook books on my Android and iPhone phones as well, but now I am on windows phone 7 and  the b&n nook reader should be too! Netflix is on Windows Phone 7, I would say that pretty much legitimizes the platform!

New User
jpence

B&N, I have a Nook.  I have a Windows 7 Phone.  I don't have a Nook app for my phone.  I DO have a Kindle App.  I have downloaded a couple of books now off Kindle since buying my new phone.  I never did this until I got my Windows 7 Phone since my last phone (Blackberry) had an app available.  For every one of us on this thread that has actually posted something there are probably hundreds more who just wont say anything and will go directly to Kindle.  I really like my Nook, but if you are not going to give me the ability to use the products I want (phone) then I don't have to use your product (Nook).  Even if there are not as many WP7 users now as there are Android or iPhone that doens not make are dollars worth any less or mean there won't be lots more of us in the near future.  Give us an app, PLEASE!! 

New User
chibearsfan

I agree. I have a wifi nook.  I downloaded free books, paid for books, share books, buy books all through B&N.  I have a windows phone.  I was in the waiting room at the hospital for an emergency..I didn't have my nook.  I surfed the internet and guess what tried the Kindle App on my phone.  So, when Kindle presents the next best thing...why would I stay with B&N if there is no windows app?  I carry my nook as much as possible.. but the phone is smaller and a security blanket device.  Why not have the app on my phone?

Reader
Joski

I'm in a similar position.  We're going to buy a e-book reader for my son in November and my wife and I both have WP7 phones.  If B&N announces plans to support WP7 by then, we'll choose the Nook, otherwise we'll go for the Kindle.  Once we choose an ecosystem and start buying books, we're not going to switch.

I get that B&N is not happy about the patent issue, but this seems at odds with their overall strategy.  Getting folks to choose their ecosystem should be of primary importance at this point.  Making Nook available on all mobile platforms should be an important aim.  Is RIM support really a higher priority than WP7 at this point?

Reader 2
chinookNY

I also want to buy a new Windows 7 phone soon and NEED a nook app for it.  I have a Nook color, but I can't always have it with me.  Please make a Windows 7 app and respond to all the people who have posted here asking for it.  Really, does anyone read these pleas for help?

Contributor
infosage

I will choose the Windows Phone over B&N, but I really want the combo. I'm not a big fan of the alternative company, but I feel B&N is going to be forcing all the new WP7 users to their competition. This is silly.

The cost of having an offshore company build a WP7 reader would likely be minimal. I'm sure they could even put the job up for bid.  Regardless of the phone OS percentages, B&N would still gain a few million more users to sell books to by having it done.  I'm in IT and have been to India and contracted with them often. They may not always deliver the most creative or polished applications, but a reader isn't rocket science. Many, if not all, the back end services would be the exact same ones used by the other systems, so we're just talking about a WP7 front end application.

This must have more to do with B&N being obstinate and trying to make some form of point than this being expensive or difficult.  The IT folks there could just be vehemently anti-Microsoft or something.  It certainly doesn’t make business sense.

New User
undead_swagger

Re: Nook reader for Windows Phone 7

I don't understand also, it should be very ez to make an winphone 7 app to make nook owners happy, it doesn't even have to be the best looking app just as long as it works and we can read books on our phones when we are not around our PC or nook. All I know is that I will be buying an e-reader in the 1st or 2nd week of oct and if there is no app or news of an app coming soon I will be buying an kindle. So B&N if your dislike of Microsoft is more important then keeping fans then goodbye, I'm sure Amazon will be happy to take my money. 

Contributor
Pat_I_Am
0 Kudos

That is hardly an answer to his question. It sounds like the sort of soubletalk someone running for office would say. It is easy enough to give him the yes or not that he apparently needs. So I will ask:

Do you have a version of the Nook for Windows Phone 7?

a. yes

b. no

Please, no weaseling.

Contributor
Pat_I_Am
0 Kudos

Did someone from B&N say that one was under development? If not then you wait in vain.

Contributor
Pat_I_Am
0 Kudos

It's late 2011 so where is it? Has anyone heard of this? With this kind of slippage we might expect it by 2020 if we're lucky.

Contributor
Pat_I_Am
0 Kudos

It's not difficult. They could almost port the PC version to the phone with few changes, that is if they did a good design on the PC version. BN is a big, clumsy bureacracy moving at glacial speed. Don't count on this until they tell you it is under development and they venture a release date for it. Anything you hear before then is hype thrown out there to keep customers from seeking other more amenable platforms than the Nook.

If they were really serious about keeping customers happy they would release details that would enable third party developers to create "Nook for WP7". If they did that then everyone here would have what they wanted in a few short months.

Contributor
Pat_I_Am

You could also switch from the Nook to the first eReader that supports WP7, you know?

Contributor
Pat_I_Am

I agree. Listen to this guy. It is only the threat of losing customers that will motivate BN. Vote with your feet until they begin to listen to customers. I have already started eyeing other eReaders because BN has never listened to the mavens, the power users and those who others rely on for tech advice when it comes to the limited functionality of the "notes" feature. Almost every other eReader does this better but BN stubbornly refuses to implement a useful notes feature that will let one see all their notes for a book in one place then select a note to go to the associate page in the book. Notes cannot be shared between nook for PC and eReader.

Contributor
Pat_I_Am

There you go folks. Kindle has it. Nook does not.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 1,065 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: