Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Re: Nook reader for Windows Phone 7 - Oh, the Irony!

Ok, so, B&N is selling a book on Nook titled "101 Windows Phone 7 Apps, Volume I: Developing Apps 1-50." Yes, folks, It is a Nook Book with information on how to develop apps for the Windows Phone 7. Has B&N not read this book?

Maybe we can get the author of the book to develop a Nook app for Windows Phone 7 so we can read his book on the Windows Phone 7??????

Here is the URL for the book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/101-windows-phone-7-apps-volume-i-adam-nathan/1100054022

And we cannot read it on our Windows Phone 7!!!

Maddening!

MitigationElf!
Contributor
infosage

It's interesting to note the recent activity.  It matches the Mango update.  I already love WP7 with my Verizon HTC Trophy and believe the Mango update will end any question which phone OS is now the best.  Hopefully B&N will join the fun, but I've decided not to care.  Since B&N chooses to waste time with petty fights rather than serve consumers, I'm leaving.  See you at Amazon. 

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Does anyone know of a way to make the books I have purchased from B&N work on my Kindle?

MitigationElf!
New User
jpence

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

I see a good amount of new posts since I last spoke up.  GOOD!!  After reading some of the post it got me thinking about why I chose the Nook to begin with, it fully supported the Blackberry I had at the time and Kindle didn't, plain and simple.  Kindle was my first initial choice, but since they didnt' offer a mobile app for my Curve at the time I started looking at Nook.  So product support was a MAIN reason why I went with Nook.  Plus, I LOVED the fact that I could take my Nook to an actual B&N store and read for free as much of any book as I wanted for a couple of hours and get coupons to use in the store.  It is great functionality that you cannot get from Kindle.  I was sold!  When I first started looking at WP7 one of the first things I looked for was a Nook app for the phone.  I was dissappointed to not find one, but figured it was so early in the phones debut that surely they would have one, especially since Amazon pretty much came out right away and said they would support WP7.  As it got closer and closer to me getting a new phone and still no Nook app it started making me think I would have to go with Android.  You see, the Nook app on my Blackberry was now my MOST used app.  Not Facebook, not ESPN, not even my web browser!  The only thing I used more than Nook was access to my email!  My reason to switch to WP7 is because EVERYTHING else I do on a regular basis is through Microsoft.  Hotmail, Xbox Live, Zune, and especially Office.  In the end, even though Nook was one of the hardest things to give up, I got my WP7 and haven't looked back.  Best choice in phones I have ever made, and that is without Mango update yet!  After two months of not having my Nook app, it is starting to get harder and harder everyday to not switch to Kindle.  B&N better get there act together and start worrying about SELLING BOOKS on ANY platform they can get on or one day they may end up like Borders and Amazon will be the only one around! 

Reader
Ahotasu

One more vote for a WP7 Nook app. Please, please, please don't make me sell my soul to iFruit...

New User
DaneBramage
0 Kudos

OK, I have had quite enough of this.  It's been over a year.  I love my Nook but I love my WP7 phone better.  It's the cleanest, easiest and most elegant smartphone OS I've ever used and I am not going to sacrifice it, period.

So, to my friends at B&N - it is Christmas season and I am a 47 year old man that has pretty much everything he needs in life.  Except an app that allows me to read my ebooks on my smartphone.  My wife and kids are desperately looking for something to give me that I need. 

Here is the ultimatum.  Develop (or at least even commit to devlop) a WP7 Nook app by November 1 or my wish list will include an Amazon Kindle and the Kindle app for my WP7.5 phone.  My kids can keep the Nook, but we'll be buying new ebooks from Amazon.

Best regards...hope you get it together.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

DaneBramage wrote:

OK, I have had quite enough of this.  It's been over a year.  I love my Nook but I love my WP7 phone better.  It's the cleanest, easiest and most elegant smartphone OS I've ever used and I am not going to sacrifice it, period.

So, to my friends at B&N - it is Christmas season and I am a 47 year old man that has pretty much everything he needs in life.  Except an app that allows me to read my ebooks on my smartphone.  My wife and kids are desperately looking for something to give me that I need. 

Here is the ultimatum.  Develop (or at least even commit to devlop) a WP7 Nook app by November 1 or my wish list will include an Amazon Kindle and the Kindle app for my WP7.5 phone.  My kids can keep the Nook, but we'll be buying new ebooks from Amazon.

Best regards...hope you get it together.

I guess you better get a Kindle then. Until Microsoft captures more than a 1% market share it is a no go.

Inspired Contributor
Aunt_Pie
0 Kudos

I am an iPhone owner who wants to switch to Windows phone, but there are 3 apps that I just must have that WP7 does not offer. The Nook app is one of those. I understand that B&N may not want to commit resources to developing an app for a phone with such small market share, but at the same time it seems they would want to get their app on every device that they can, especially since the Kindle app seems ubiquitous.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

I understand your frustration... Please remember, just like iPhone, Windows Phone does not do the offering of an app. It is the manufacturer that develops the app to sell in the market place. In this case, Barnes and Nobles has refused to develop the app.

I too once used the iOS... You will totally love the Windows Phone OS over the iOS.... especially when Mango comes out. I would suggest you start off with a Mango phone... you will not miss the crapple! (And you will probably find other apps that will replace most of the ones you are looking for that are better. I was desperate for Moxier Wallett. They, too have refused the develop for Windows Phone. I have now found SkyWallet wich doesn't have the fees that Moxier does and it is just plain better.)

MitigationElf!
Contributor
StringTheory
0 Kudos

Is there an app available yet?  Sure, its not the largest market, but a customer is a customer and if you can't develop apps for windows phone, you can't develop apps period, its way to easy.  I'd also add that an app for WP7 doesn't require the hacks that iOS provides and an app for wp7 doesn't support a growing competitor either (android / google / google books)

also, you have a blackberry app, its losing marketshare so fast its not even funny

Contributor
infosage
0 Kudos

Just one more reason to dump B&N; first they're not smart to know how to write a Windows Phone 7 app, now this...

http://betanews.com/2011/09/21/amazon-launches-kindle-library-lending-program/

Contributor
VinceInMN
0 Kudos

Maybe Microsoft is the problem here?

I'm sure B&N isn't able to comment on this officially, so I'll take a shot.  In short - why would B&N develop an app for a platform, the owner of which is suing them right now?

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Windows-Phone-Data-Nook-Lawsuit-Earnings-Filled-Microso...

So, Microsoft is patent trolling B&N and you all expect B&N to support Windows Phone 7, and by extension Microsoft, by developing a Nook app for WP7?

Yeah, that would be crazy.

Let's face it folks - Microsoft dropped the ball for mobile a long time ago.  I doubt very much that B&N is the only one who is going to refuse to jump on the WP7 train.  The dearth of apps for WP7 (especially Nook) and now these new legal games MS is playing against Android firmly drove me to Android and Google. 

Until this year, I had been running all my smartphones on Windows Mobile platform.  Ever since it was called Windows CE (before 2000) I used those phones, and I loved them.  They provided pretty much anything any iOS fan ever wanted, years before iPhones ever existed.  It may have started out clunky, but it worked.

All that said - I felt forced to leave Windows Mobile / phones behind.

Make your own decision, but I for one am convinced that Microsoft's mobile platform is going nowhere in the general consumer market.  They might be able to spend enough money to elbow their market share up to around 3% or so, but that's about it.  And that means very little goodies for the likes of you and me.

New User
jpence
0 Kudos

Re: Maybe Microsoft is the problem here?

The patent issue has already been brought up.  I don't believe Microsoft is a "patent troll" any more than Apple, Google, Samsung or any other company who has a patent that they feel is being infringed can pursue grevience in the courts.  If B&N feels Microsoft is being so unfair why do they continue to support Windows PC and just be done with it all?  Again I will say, B&N should be most concerned about SELLING BOOKS.  Amazon just released new Kindles and a new Tablet, which is Android based by the way, and I have had a Kindle app available since day one of owning my WP7.  Everday B&N waits to support a WP7 app is just more customers they can lose to Amazon.  Moving completely over to Amazon is looking better and better everyday for me, at least.  How many other WP7 users are in my frame of mind right now?? 

Contributor
infosage
0 Kudos

Google was extremely clever by stealing others (like MS) ideas and intellectual property, putting it in an OS, and then giving the OS away as open source.   Now Microsoft is forced to go after the companies that profit from using the OS and gets blamed for trying to protect itself... very clever.  Most people don't even understand who the original thief (busy doing evil) was in the situation. 

Samsung, like everyone else, today realized they are profiting off of Microsoft IP and agreed to compensate them accordingly.  Barnes & Noble is just (as usual) the last company to recognize reality. 

On the other end of the problem, Windows Phone 7.5 has launched and is gaining interest (http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/20/npd-android-windows-phone-7/) and even market share now (http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-wp7-accounts-for-30-of-our-unit-sales)

Good luck with your Pyrrhic victory B&N.

New User
PGoth
0 Kudos

It really would be incredibly short sighted for B&N to not consider Win Phone as a platform.  I do love the new Nook - I gave the first generation to my wife.

For now, what I do is keep 2 books going at a time - I use Media Console for ePub books from the New York Public Library on my Focus (you are losing revenue here B&N - I would buy them if you had the app) and other books on my Nook

I see MS gaining share moving forward - they have the most vendor friendly platform now that Google is now heavily invested in hardware (Motorola).

B&N - wake up - Please!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

PGoth wrote:

It really would be incredibly short sighted for B&N to not consider Win Phone as a platform.  I do love the new Nook - I gave the first generation to my wife.

For now, what I do is keep 2 books going at a time - I use Media Console for ePub books from the New York Public Library on my Focus (you are losing revenue here B&N - I would buy them if you had the app) and other books on my Nook

I see MS gaining share moving forward - they have the most vendor friendly platform now that Google is now heavily invested in hardware (Motorola).

B&N - wake up - Please!

Google's buying motorola was mostly to gain access to their patents to fend off Apple. they are all part of the open handset alliance so this only makes Android stronger, until Microsoft can achieve a higher market share of the mobile phone market, apps for win phones are not gonna happen.

New User
jpence

Amazon doesn't seem to think that the current WP7 marketshare is an issue.  Why is that?  Answer that question and you may have a legitimate argument.  B&N, if you are reading this, I just couldn't wait any longer and bought a Kindle. After that I bought roughly $150 in business related books since I couldn't read them on my phone and Nook.  Now that I own a Kindle and Nook I can tell you I STILL prefer the Nook device and store, but I can't justify buying work related books on it until my phone is able to read them as well.  However, the longer you take to accept the inevitable, the more entrenched into Kindle I will become along with thousands of others users. Stop blaming Microsoft for the legal trouble and get back to doing what  you do best....SELLING BOOKS!!  We are waiting to buy from you, you just have to give us the opportunity!! 

Contributor
bleeman
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

Ok, so, B&N is selling a book on Nook titled "101 Windows Phone 7 Apps, Volume I: Developing Apps 1-50." Yes, folks, It is a Nook Book with information on how to develop apps for the Windows Phone 7. Has B&N not read this book?

Maybe we can get the author of the book to develop a Nook app for Windows Phone 7 so we can read his book on the Windows Phone 7??????

Here is the URL for the book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/101-windows-phone-7-apps-volume-i-adam-nathan/1100054022

And we cannot read it on our Windows Phone 7!!!

Maddening!

When I went looking for an eReader I went with the original Nook back in February 2010 as I liked the look and feel of the device much better than the Kindle.  Like other commenters I also liked the ability to take it to the store and get short stories, coupons, etc.  When the Nook color came out I didn't hesitate buying and passing my original Nook on to my wife who still prefers books over eReaders but uses the Nook from time to time as well.  Along with the preference in the design of the Nook I also appreciated the fact that I could check out books from the local library.  At the time I really wasn't looking for a reader for my phone.

Now in October 2011, I have a Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7.5.  I still have my color Nook but as others have said would like to have a Nook app for those times I don't have the Nook with me.  Well, with each passing day I think my next purchase is going to be the Kindle Fire.  Why?  First, their WP7 app is great, second you can now check out books from the Library, and third more times than not I find Amazon has better pricing on their books.  For example, the book referenced by MitigationElf in this message is $8 cheaper for the Kindle version.  I have seen this happen quite often when comparing books between B&N and Amazon.  Quite often the Kindle version is anywhere from $1-$2 up to $10 and occassionally more less than the corresponding Nook version.

I don't mind paying my fair share for an eBook as I feel I'm paying for the author's work not the format I'm purchasing it in.  However, with no WP7 app, no Overdrive so I can download my library books directly to the Nook versus going through Adobe Digital Editions and then syncing with my Nook, and generally having to pay more for the same eBooks offered for the Kindle, my Nook days are coming to an end.  Yes, I appreciate the free Fridays, the promos they've had, in store reading, but I'm finding I go to the brick and mortar store less and less.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Kindle Fire so I can do a side-by-side comparison to see if I really want to make the switch.  I love my Nook and have no regrets in purchasing it, but I'm getting frustrated with their approach to this platform.

--Bill
New User
jrc14
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am the developer of Freda, the free ebook reader program for Windows Phone 7 (and for WinMo as it happens).  Freda is the leading WP7 ereader for EPUB format books, and will also read TXT and HTML.  Of course, it only works with DRM-free books, so it's not a direct solution for the 'reading Nook books on WP7' problem (and I don't think this the place to discuss 'DRM-removal' :-) ).

But I thought I should post here, just to mention that if B&N are actually (1) reading this discussion thread and (2) seriously interested in developing a WP7 app, I'd be entirely happy to work with them.  Contact me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk

Best,

Jim

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Hello Jim I was thinking about Freda the other day and wishing it could read Nook books. It would be great if Barnes and Noble would work with you to enable such an application - I'd be the first one to buy it!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 245 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: