Reader 2
ShawneeWriter
0 Kudos

Re: Nook reader for Windows Phone 7 - Oh, the Irony!

This is the first glimmer of hope I've read since I've been searching almost daily for news of a Nook app for my Samsung Focus Windows Phone 7.5.I love my phone but am missing 2 apps that I crave -- a Nook app and a Zinio app. I thought it would just be a few months before I would see a Nook app, but it looks like I was wrong. I really, really, really hope that an app is in the works and if not, B&N calls you soon to develop one.

The Samsung Focus screen is perfect for reading as demonstrated with my Kindle app. However, I have a Nook and have invested significantly in the B&N ecosystem and would really love a Nook app on my phone.

I also have the Freda app on my phone and enjoy it. Thanks for offering to help our Nook app-free community.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Nook for Windows Phone 7 to be announced Monday, November 7

I was in a store today and the employees at the front of the store pushing the Nook device stated that during Barnes & Noble's scheduled announcement on Monday, they will be announcing the release of the Nook for Windows Phone 7.

This is a rumor - and given B&N refusal to comment on any of these threads I still view this with skepticism, however, I do view it with hope!

MitigationElf!
Contributor
NebsiNsaNe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Windows Phone 7 to be announced Monday, November 7

Sadly, it must've been just rumor then, because it wasn't mentioned..

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

I still have the original Nook (was one of the first people to pre-order it).  I'm starting to look at getting a new ereader or tablet... but I absolutely will not go with nook unless they have an app for Windows Phone 7.5 by the time I decide.

of course, I'll probably just end up waiting for Windows 8 before I get a tablet.

Contributor
infosage

What?  I decided it would be fun to check this site again after today's Windows Phone announcement and I'm shocked.  Why is there anyone left still waiting for B&N to make a Windows Phone app? 

B&N is a confused lost cause, and rather pathetic.  Instead of trying to grab every customer they can and declare war on Amazon, they've decided to declare war on Microsoft users.  It would be like Burger King saying they refuse to make food for anyone that also eats at McDonalds.  Stupid, stupid, confused, and stupid. 

There's another company thats in even more direct competition with Microsoft on tablets and Clouds, but doesn't hold potential customers hostage.  We switched our entire family to Amazon and love it.  Why continue waiting?  Just switch to a company that appreciates every customer and enjoy. 

There's an old saying, "you can't fix stupid" and B&N is a perfect example.  They are loudly telling Microsoft users to get out of their book store and go somewhere else.  Thankfully, better options exist.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

I am very sad and dismayed. I should know better than to

1. Listen to an in-store associate
  2. get my hopes up with B&N.

Oh well.

MitigationElf!
Contributor
VinceInMN
0 Kudos

::sigh:: We were rooting with you.  Oh well...  At this point I don't even care anymore because I'm firmly on Android now, but I do hope they come out with a WP app anyway at some point because it would give me some reassurance that they have indeed "fixed the stupid".

New User
jeremyshaw
0 Kudos

At this point, all of my purchases for the past few months have been on Amazon Kindle, and I don't see myself using my Nook Color for B&N anymore. I've already rooted/CM7 it recently for Kindle app.

B&N: when you are second place in the ebook marketshare, and it's a long drop to second place...

Fight on every front you can. At this point, Amazon's applications on WP7 (Kindle, Fresh, Amazon.com) all are driving me to Amazon. I could honestly care less if the nook app on WP7 is as bad as the Android one. However, there is no incentive for me to continue purchasing from the B&N ecosystem. I've already canceled both of my mag subs a few months ago, too.

The best way to lose a fight is to not show up for it. And you are nowhere to be found.

Heck, I'd even settle for a webclient (reading my purchased books off of B&N.com).

Reader
Joski

Just bought a Kindle for my son.  Now, with my wife and I on the Kindle app for WP7 and my son with a Kindle device, we're going to stay with Amazon.  It seems like Amazon has built a much better ebook ecosystem than B&N in any event, so it's probably for the best.

Good luck B&N, hope the MS lawsuit works out for you!

Reader 4
confusedowner
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

I called B&N yesterday to ask about an app for windows phones any windows phones. I'm getting my Titan tommorow. Perfect for viewing books on. Lets be honest if your waiting at a Dr. office in line etc your not gonna pull out your Nook and read you've got a good phone, its convient to have and to read off of is what I'm saying. I was told that no there very sorry but no app is available and they would pass my suggestion on....sounded like a brush off. I'm gonna have to find a way to convert all my books to Kindle they have an app for Windows sadly I wont be able to buy anything more from B&N untill they do make an app....

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

"I'm gonna have to find a way to convert all my books to Kindle they have an app for Windows sadly I wont be able to buy anything more from B&N untill they do make an app...."

Calibre is the program you are looking for.  A very quick Google search will even show you how to remove the DRM from your B&N books... :robotsurprised:

New User
BassRocks
0 Kudos

Waiting, waiting, waiting... Do you think B&N checks this thread at all?

New User
jspanitz
0 Kudos

Sadly, I keep checking for this app on my WP7 device too.  What the heck is wrong with B&N?  About to purchase ereader for my daughter and I want to be able to share books with her.  Amazon seems to be the only company that gets it right now.

New User
Emilee_Follett
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to lend my voice to this thread (even though it seems like B&N doesn't even read them), to reiterate how shocking it is that nook isn't available for the WP7 audience. I just switched from Android to WP7 and miss the ability to start a book on my nook device and phone. Sure, the WP7 market is still maturing, but all the really legitimate and dedicated app developers have already brought out compatible versions for the windows phone. B&N has done such an excellent job of making themselves relevent after the advent of eBooks--so why drop the ball now??

New User
pettydon
0 Kudos

Still waiting for NOOK on Windows 7 mango.

If Kindle can do it, why in the world can't B&N/BAM?

Reader
kungfuaddict
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This is pretty much off topic, but I am wanting to get as much input as possible..

I'm currently an Android phone user and my contract is about to end.  I'm considering going with a Windows Phone, but am unsure as it's such a huge change.  I am an Xbox user and the phone/xbox interface is a BIG draw.

Has anyone else switched from Android?  How do you all like Windows Phone OS?  Do they get good battery life?  Is the interface as nice as it looks in commercials and on their website?  I use the heck out of Google maps with navigation - what's the comparable option on WP7?  I also use the heck out of Google's voice search, how does Bing stack up?  Can you use Google with voice on WP7?

The fact that there is no B&N app yet is ANOTHER reason for me to reconsider... I do love laying in bed late at night reading on my Droid2 wilst my partner is asleep.  (The nightlight on my Nook simple touch is a bit bright)  I love my Nook ST and don't want to switch to a Kindle - I like going into B&N and getting a coffee and having the shelves of books all around.  I also collect hardback first editions of my favorites.

And hey!  Barnes & Noble?!  You REALLY should put a version for WP7 out!!  More importantly??  COMMUNICATE with your customers!!!  Let us know when/if this will ever happen.  

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

I got my sister to switch from Android to WP7 and she is amazed at how much more stable it is.  She said rebooting her phone every other or every day was the norm.  You pretty much never have to reboot WP7.

The interface is much better, but that's an opinion I guess.  I like getting info on how many new emails, missed calls, Facebook updates, msgs, etc. etc... from just glancing at my home screen with live tiles.

There is a Gmaps app for Windows phone that I know a lot of Tech Sites swear by.  I myself am happy with Bing integration.  The Voice Search functionality is amazing... it's never gotten something wrong.  Bing vision allows you to scan barcodes, QR codes, Book\CD covers.

All smartphones do the same stuff these days... it just comes down to how Stable they are, and how easy they are to use.  Iphone and WP7 are the best smartphones you can get right now... unless you're a super geek who likes to have full customization ability of your phone.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Khensu wrote:

I got my sister to switch from Android to WP7 and she is amazed at how much more stable it is.  She said rebooting her phone every other or every day was the norm.  You pretty much never have to reboot WP7.

The interface is much better, but that's an opinion I guess.  I like getting info on how many new emails, missed calls, Facebook updates, msgs, etc. etc... from just glancing at my home screen with live tiles.

There is a Gmaps app for Windows phone that I know a lot of Tech Sites swear by.  I myself am happy with Bing integration.  The Voice Search functionality is amazing... it's never gotten something wrong.  Bing vision allows you to scan barcodes, QR codes, Book\CD covers.

All smartphones do the same stuff these days... it just comes down to how Stable they are, and how easy they are to use.  Iphone and WP7 are the best smartphones you can get right now... unless you're a super geek who likes to have full customization ability of your phone.

It depends on what Android phone you have the Galaxy S II is perfectly stable. 

Reader 2
WWAD

I just thought I'd post this since the thread has been feeling a bit post mortem for a while.

It looks like the patent case is moving right along, I really doubt we'll be seing an app anytime soon but here is the latest info on what's happening with it.  Despite what anyone says, I think that this is a great source of contention at B&N.  For some reason they are taking it out on us.

Here is a short post on Engaget

Here is the source which offers up a little more specifics.

WP7 is a rapidly growing platform, as more people come on board and see the lack of a Nook app they will eventually switch to Kindle.   Hopefully they can get this resolved and stop neglecting a section of their customer base.  I love my Nook Simple Touch and had a Nook app for my Android phone prior to that.  I have also been looking at a couple of the new Nook Tablets for my wife and I.  But sadly I've been playing around with the WP7 kindle app deciding weather or not we should just switch.  I really don't want to have to break the DRM and convert the stack of eBooks I own.  It's less about not having an app and more about the way the whole thing is being ignored.  I expected more from B&N than from Amazon which is why we went with them in the first place.

New User
Iris89
0 Kudos

QR Codes are still big in Japan. The data is old (2005) but interesting:

• 90% under 20 were using them.
  • 84% were using them from magazines – women using them for mail order
  • 74% for access URLs
  • 27% (high I thought) for ecommerce purchase from magazines
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online