New User
ThePaladinTech
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

The Nokia Lumia 900 is coming out this week and I will be getting it.  Would be great if there was a nook app for it. Further Windows 8 is coming soon and my understanding is much of the code base used to create apps is similiar. So B&N get on it already! lets see a nook app for Windows Phone! :smileyhappy:

Reader
Chris_Cz
0 Kudos

Same as the above.  I'm moving to Windows Phone, my wife and I own Nooks, and now I have to look into alternate methods to be able to read the books I've purchased on my phone.  I'm for the first time regretting buying a Nook over a Kindle, just for this reason (I do a LOT of reading on my phone).

If B&N won't support my phone of choice, I'm going to have to seriously consider whether it's worth it to continue buying any more Nook books, or if it's time to look at the competition.

New User
JeezThisSucks
0 Kudos

Well, it's been over a year now with no response.   Does Amazon have a reader for WP7?  Yes.  Does Amazon have a tablet/reader?  Yes.  Does Amazon have magazine subscriptions?  Yes.  I have been a lowal nook user from literally day 1, but this continued marginalization of the WP7 platform is making me re-think my loyalty.

Reader
shiister
0 Kudos

I made the switch to Kindle and love it.  A big seller to me was the new Kindle Lending library for Amazon Prime users and the new support by public libraries which I had enjoyed with my Nook.  Granted the free selection isn't that great but I buy once and read on my iPad, HP Touchpad, WP7, Droid Phone, Mac, PC and even on the web. Can BN do that?  Being a first adopter of the 1st Gen Nook it was hard to make the switch at first because I didn't want to be kept tied to an ecosystem but at this point I feel the Amazon ecosystem is a better value for my money. I only wish the Kindle would render PDFs better than my Nook. But being mobile I take my WP7 everywhere and leave my Kindle/Nook at home.  I love my WP7 and if BN isn't budging all I have to say is "save your money and go with the leader who values their customers. 

New User
Cliff_B
0 Kudos

I hate to beat a dead horse, but please give some information.  Are you working on this or not?

Thanks!

New User
JeezThisSucks
0 Kudos

I did make the switch.  I was able to sideload the B&N reader app to the Fire so still have access to my previously purchased content.  I have to say that from a "tablet" perspective the Kindle is better.  From an "eReader" perspective the nook is better.  But now I have the best of both!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

Seriously now B&N.  WP7.5 and soon to be WP8 is starting to gain traction.  I love my Nooks and I am looking forward to the Nook Simple w/ Glowlight.  However, I am holding off for now until I can get my head wrapped around which ecosystem basket I want to put my eggs into.

MS is paying $60K to app developers.  Develop one and charge us 99 cents - it would be nice if it were free, but I would pay a reasonable amount.  You would make back your investment in no time. 

New User
Kaftan
0 Kudos

I decided to ask a B&N tech support representative about the status of any WP7 Nook app development.  He confirmed that it was "currently under development" and "may come out very soon."  May?  Ha, vague.  Of course, this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but my optimistic side is happy nonetheless.

New User
mane3215
0 Kudos

Please give us some kind of info. I love my kindle books but don't always have my tablet with me. I always have my WP7 phone with me! Would be great to know I can catch up when I have time.
Contributor
ArtfulBodger

Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading

They have settled the patent lawsuits.  Do you think that NOW we can start getting an app for Windows Phone?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57423957-75/barnes-noble-microsoft-ink-$300m-deal-on-e-reading/

New User
jspanitz
0 Kudos

ArtfulBodger - I just came here to post the same thing.  Serioulsy, can we get a freaking WP7 app now?  How long could it possibly take?  PLEASE!!!!!

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Assuming this deal has been in the works for weeks, and their development team.  They could have had the app ready for release the same day of this announcement.  There is no excuse to not have an app by next week if they dedicated even a couple of developers to porting the already exsiting app over.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

There is even talk about a Windows 8 powered Nook device.  I really like the windows eco system and the nook ecosystem.  I love my Nook device and I am looking at getting a new Nook tablet.  I would really love it if we could go the last mile and get us a WP Nook app.

Let's close the loop already!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

According to B&N the Nook will continue to be based on Android. This is about the ebook side of the business.

Contributor
VinceInMN
0 Kudos

@ArtfulBodger - For what it's worth, I don't think you really want a Windows 8 powered Nook device.  Rather, I think you want a Windows 8 device that runs the Nook app.  So far this thread has purely been about the lack of a Windows Phone Nook app.  I haven't used it much, but the Windows Nook app appears to be adequate and I would expect it would work just fine on Windows 8.  Keep in mind too that Nooks (and Kindles for that matter too) are so cheap because they run Android and not a more robust OS like Windows 8 or iOS so yeah, I wouldn't ever go expecting a reasonably price e-reader from Apple either. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

VinceInMN wrote:

@ArtfulBodger - For what it's worth, I don't think you really want a Windows 8 powered Nook device.  Rather, I think you want a Windows 8 device that runs the Nook app.  So far this thread has purely been about the lack of a Windows Phone Nook app.  I haven't used it much, but the Windows Nook app appears to be adequate and I would expect it would work just fine on Windows 8.  Keep in mind too that Nooks (and Kindles for that matter too) are so cheap because they run Android and not a more robust OS like Windows 8 or iOS so yeah, I wouldn't ever go expecting a reasonably price e-reader from Apple either. 

Exactly, Apple has to maintain their 35% profit margin.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

True...

I wouldn't want a Win8 Nook.  I want a Win 8 table (Nokia maybe) with a Nook app.  My bad.

I do however really, really, REALLY want a Nook app for my Lumia and soon to have Win 8 tablet.  Lumia first, though.

LinkedIn just released a slick app for WP 7 that critics are saying it rivals the iOS and Android versions; and mostly because of the Metro UI.  B&N has a great opportunity here to really deliver a killer app with Metro UI. 

Reader 4
patmand
0 Kudos

I need a Nook app on my Windows Phone...can't believe it's not there yet! BN hurry!!!

Contributor
llzingaro
0 Kudos

What's wrong with u, I am a loyal Nook B&N customer and have a nokia 900 and can't read my library books because there is no Nook reader for windows phone.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

I don't know if B&N people/developers read this, but I want to make it clear:

I am HOLDING out buying a new Nook Tablet and Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight.  If I cannot get my Nook ebooks on my phone, I am going to go to an ecosystem that allows me to do just that.

If you could simply answer the question, it would help immensely.  Staying quiet is tantamount to you saying that you will NOT develop it.  As such, I will take my business elsewhere.  It is a shame, I really like B&N, your tablet and products, but your customer service and responsiveness sucks!

What you don't realize is that while I may never buy an iPad, I am very likely to buy a Windows tablet.  If I have to wait for it, I will probably NOT buy the Nook Tablet.  I guess you can do without our money?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 230 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: