Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

We might be getting close! They just released the Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT versions of the nook app!
Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

UPDATE!!!

B&N has released a Nook app for the MS Surface!  I don't know the exact release date, but I was able to download it last night. 

Quick review:  Pretty good all-in-all.  There could be some improvements made on the layout and the UI, but I must say that I like it BETTER than the Nook tablets themselves.  Ever since B&N changed to that silly layout where it seems their store is front and center, I have not enjoyed the Nook as much.  But I was able to take my libarary with me so that offset the inconveinece.

Now, I can take it with me on my tablet in a much better form factor and UI. 

Thank goodness. 

I would still like an app for the phone, but I have found that my Surface is light as a feather and I take it everywhere....maybe I don't need a phone app after all.....

New User
TwoMetreBill
0 Kudos

Microsoft gave B&N $250 million. On my Windows Phone 8 I can buy and read Kindle books but not Nook books. Whatever the B&N execs are smoking, they should pass it around so this insanity will make sense to the rest of us.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Well. I've waited all these years and sadly am giving up on the Windows phone for now. If Microsoft wanted to they could leverage their partnership and provide a compatible app. They are in the software business, B&N clearly is not. But I have a much heavier investment in books than in phones. My Windows 6.5-based Imagio can no longer log into B&N. Tomorrow I get my HTC DNA. If Windows Phone 9 has a Nook app I will give it serious consideration.

New User
Flyingcow29
0 Kudos

Still waiting patiently. Noticed some of the stories talking about the free books/magazines for Windows 8 nook users mention phones as well and got excited. But no such luck. I bet they could find someone to make the app for them for free at this point. Lots more Windows Phones out there, and market share is growing slowly thanks to Nokia.

I bet Nokia would make it if given the opportunity. Seems rediculous though with the amount Microsoft has invested in this division of B&N.

New User
MSBILL
0 Kudos

It looks like Barns & Noble doesn't want, for some ungodly reason, to release a Nook app for the Windows Phone, however I have found one that does allow you to read epub books. The app is Bookviser. The only catch is you have to break the DRM. If you don't want to do that you can still download books from Manybooks.net. These are public domain have no DRM and are completely free. No new copywrited book, but all of the classics.

New User
Shayzen
0 Kudos

PLEASE give us a Nook app for the Windows phone! PLEASE!!!
New User
Craig10541
0 Kudos

Have to agree with the frustration.  Let me say though that the kindle app works great on my Windows phone.  I started with nook and wanted to stay.  The longer they hold out the more books I buy on my kindle.  I started as a die hard nook user and am ending up enjoying kindle.  Frankly starting to look at an actual kindle.  Wish Barnes and Noble would wake up and support the platforms their users are asking for.  If they don't they won't have any users.

Contributor
bleeman
0 Kudos

I finally gave up waiting.  We sold/passed along our 6 Nooks and moved to the Kindle Fire HD and no regrets.  I really liked the Nook and the majority of the things B&N did for it, but I just got tired of waiting.  Really enjoying the Kindle especially with our Prime Account giving us access to a wide variety of movies and TV shows.  We even cancelled our Netflix subscription because of this.  I'm not saying everyone should jump ship as I still believe the Nook is a good device, it's just that in the end with our household being Windows Phone users and Windows users in general the Kindle ecosystem seems to fit that better for us.

--Bill
New User
Jollux
0 Kudos

Four years down and still loyal and waiting... Been through three windows phone now and still hoping for nook application... I really wished they wouldn't keep us in the dark I think that's the worst thing a company could do to their loyal customers... I real hope I do not jump to Amazon because I may not hold out much longer...
Contributor
bleeman
0 Kudos

You can stop waiting. it was annouced a while back that there would be no development of a client for Windows Phone. I gave up a year ago and sold all 6 of the Nooks we acquired over the years and we moved to the Kindle Fire's. I downloaded and installed the Nook app on our Kindle's as well as the Kindle apps for our Windows 8 PC's, tablets, and Windows phones and no regrets. Granted I still can't read my Nook books on my phone but all of my new purchases are from Amazon and they work across all my platforms. Add in the fact that we are Amazon Prime members and we have a huge library of videos, the Kindle lending library and now Amazon music. Don't get me wrong I loved my Nook's from the original through to the Nook HD's. I just finally got fed up with Barnes and Noble's lack of support for my preferred smart phone choice and no real response regarding it. While I know one person doesn't make a big difference to them I stopped using their services completely. We didn't renew our B&N cards and we no longer shop there. The only reason I'm here now is I forgot I hadn't turned off the "subscription" to this thread and it notified me of your post. I stiil think the Nook's are good devices I just wanted to let you know as a Windows Phone user there was no future with the Nook.

--Bill
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

bleeman wrote:

You can stop waiting. it was annouced a while back that there would be no development of a client for Windows Phone.

Actually, according to B&N, there's one in the works for WP8.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8/262327-nook-windows-phone-app-soon.html

I have no expectation that we'll ever see an app for WP7.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jollux wrote:
I real hope I do not jump to Amazon because I may not hold out much longer...

I'm pretty sure there's no need to hope, as you have complete control over whether or not you "jump to Amazon."

Contributor
bleeman
0 Kudos

Unfortunately that was based on an article dated February 5, 2014.  This article, http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-and-nook-redo-their-agreement-no-microsoft-e-reader-in-the-works-7000..., dated March 13th shows that Microsoft and Barnes and Noble have changed their agreement and they are allowed to discontinue distributing their Windows application and to cease work on their Windows Phone app.  Now it goes on to mention there is a Microsoft Consumer Reader coming and the assumption is that if it replaces the Nook app on Windows then most likely it will be available for Windows Phone as well.  However, at this point in time that is all up in the air.  So I think once again, only time will tell and we'll all be left waiting to see if anything happens.

--Bill
Contributor
MitigationElf

Actually, B&N is divesting itslef of the Nook completely. Samsung has created their version of the Nook and other hardware manufacturers may produce additional devices. (I do hope they move away from the horrific, hobbled os on which it is currently built.)

As for the Windows Phone gettig a Nook app, any futher development of the existing app or a new Nook app will run on both the Windows Phone and the Windows 8 computer device as Microsoft has unified the way things work and all apps will run on both devices.

I do hope that future e-reader development will move away for the current, abysmal concept of extreme limitations on the user's interaction with the book. Many have forgotten that Microsoft Reader, one of the very first e-readers, came out during the XP era. It ran on both Windows Mobile and Windows XP and was almost like holding a printed book and you could certainly use your stylus to interact and hand-write on the text as you would a paper product.

Reader, on the other hand, an app for the Windows 8 ecosystem developed by Microsoft is being discussed. It already comes installed with Windows 8. Unfortunately, Microsoft took the Kindle and Nook-like lazy route and the interactions with deocumens on Reader is very limited.

Apple's product is, in my estimation, the best e-reader product out there today because it is the closest thing to hoding a real book in your hand. But let me be clear, it still is a long way from where it should be (apple consistanty lags in the area fo touch interface).

I am not certain why the e-reader developers are trying to convince the consumer that we should not have full use, ownership, and interaction with our books. Unless, that is, they are just too lazy to develp a fully interactie product.

Bottom line is that both Barnes and Noble and Amazon have really let us down. And they just don't care.

MitigationElf!
keriflur
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

Actually, B&N is divesting itslef of the Nook completely. Samsung has created their version of the Nook and other hardware manufacturers may produce additional devices. (I do hope they move away from the horrific, hobbled os on which it is currently built.)

Actually, Samsung has PARTNERED with B&N to make a Samsung Nook. Samsung didn't do it on their own (that would be a violation of trademark law). And while It's true that B&N and Nook Media are becoming separate companies, there are conflicting reports on whether or not Nook Media will be producing an e-ink nook.

MitigationElf wrote:

As for the Windows Phone gettig a Nook app, any futher development of the existing app or a new Nook app will run on both the Windows Phone and the Windows 8 computer device as Microsoft has unified the way things work and all apps will run on both devices.

There is no future development of an app for Windows 8 (computer OS). B&N announced that a while back - MS is developing their own app that will read nook books.

MitigationElf wrote:
Apple's product is, in my estimation, the best e-reader product out there today because it is the closest thing to hoding a real book in your hand. But let me be clear, it still is a long way from where it should be (apple consistanty lags in the area fo touch interface).

No, the closest thing to holding a real book in your hand is an e-ink reader.

MitigationElf wrote:

I am not certain why the e-reader developers are trying to convince the consumer that we should not have full use, ownership, and interaction with our books. Unless, that is, they are just too lazy to develp a fully interactie product.

While e-reader developers have some control over features, such as the ability to write notes in the margins (as you mentioned above), they ultimately don't have control over "full use, ownership, and interaction," because the ebooks don't belong to them anymore than the belong to you. They belong
to the copyright holder. If you want to know more, you can read up on the DMCA and copyright law for digital products.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 388 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: