Contributor
StringTheory
0 Kudos

Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

Does Barnes & Noble have any news of such program being made available for the WP7 launch happening next month state side?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

@StringTheory,

B&N is working to support many different platforms in the future and we are constantly evaluating and improving our Apps.

Contributor
StringTheory
0 Kudos

Hope to see it come to fruition.  These devices have some of the largest mobile screens and would lend themselves to great devices to be a part of the Nook ecosystem with :smileyhappy:

New User
MHC48
0 Kudos

I've always liked B&N, and the fact that there are also stores I can go to. I've had a membership card for several years and buy a lot of  books from B&N, but more paper than e-books because there wasn't a decent reader for my phone.

Now that Amazon has announced an e-book reader for WP7,I hope B&N will also do so very soon.The convenience of having an always available  reader on my phone will otherwise, I'm afraid tip the scales for me and, so to speak,,,,,,turn the page.

Please don't make me do it.

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

No suprise, but I want this as well!!

Picked up my Windows Phone 7 yesterday and agree that it is perfect for the nook reader.

Can't wait ... :smileyvery-happy:

Reader
kindofstrange
0 Kudos

Another for the 'please bring this to market' crowd.  I just ordered my Win7 phone today.  It'd be fantastic to be able to read my nookbooks on the go without necessarily needing to always have my nook with me.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

I am curious as to whether the version of eReader that runs on WinMo 6.5 on some platforms runs on WinMo 7. Has anyone tried it?

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I have had windows mobile phones since 2006 with my first Pocket PC 6700.  I've since had a newer/better WinMo phone every year.  (PPC 6700, PPC 6800, TouchPro, TouchPro2, then Omnia II).  I love them! 

I've waited almost a year for B&N to make available the WinMo app that they have claimed to be working on, and I'm tired of waiting.  Even when (if) they do release a Windows Mobile app, I'm sure it will only work on Windows 7 phones.

So, today I took the plunge and gave up my beloved Windows Mobile (with my even more beloved Mobile Office/Outlook) and I ordered an Android-based Samsung Fascinate.  I ordered it JUST because I can't find the specific apps for my WinMo phone.  I wanted B&N's Nook app (had the pitiful beta app), Dropbox app, and a few others.

Considering that B&N's other website, ereader.com, has a wonderful app, I just don't understand why it would be so hard to implement this. 

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

...Considering that B&N's other website, ereader.com, has a wonderful app, I just don't understand why it would be so hard to implement this. 

I don't think it is hard, rather a choice they made. They willneed to write the reader from Win Phone 7 from scratch to take advantage of the environment. But this is a good thing! They will not have the issues you have when writing android apps (different versions, hardware etc.) since there is common criteria for the Windows Phone.

New User
Reading_Grizzly
0 Kudos

Also posting just to ask that you please create this soon.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

I no longer have access to my iPod Touch (piece of JUNK!) and only have my WinMo 6.5. I have downloaded the B&N ereader from ereader.com. Can I read the books I have purchased on BN.com on that ereader? If so, how? Is there another ereader that runs on WinMo 6.5 that will read my nook books?

MitigationElf!
Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

The problem is that not all of us can afford to just drop another $300 - $500 for a new phone. Additionally, unfortunately, I am on Verizon who has stated they will not cary the Windows Phone 7 (stupid, stupid, stupid!!). I need somethint that will permit me to read my already purchased Nook ebooks on Windows Mobile 6.5.

Maybe they should just refund all that I have paid for the books.

MitigationElf!
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

The problem is that not all of us can afford to just drop another $300 - $500 for a new phone. Additionally, unfortunately, I am on Verizon who has stated they will not cary the Windows Phone 7 (stupid, stupid, stupid!!). I need somethint that will permit me to read my already purchased Nook ebooks on Windows Mobile 6.5.

Maybe they should just refund all that I have paid for the books.

A couple of good pieces of news for you:

Verizon WILL be getting Windows Phone 7 phones, just not yet.  They are saying early 2011.

Here's a link to one of the Gizmodo articles:  http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-is-official-and-microsoft-is-playing-to/

Second - here's the cab file to download the beta version of Nook for WinMo which does work on Windows Mobile 6.5 (I had it on my Omnia II)  It's not a "finished" app but it does work.

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

The WinMo version mentioned does work on my HTC Imagio, which runs 6.5 and is similar to the hw that the software was developed for. I don't try anything fancy but I haven't had any problems either. I wish it would run on earlier WinMo version - on 6.0 and 6.1 models it is unusable because you can't turn the pages.

There are two later versions that I know of 1.0.0.30 and 1.1.0.22 (you probably can get to that on this page: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Apps-Technical-Support-iPad/eReader-on-Windows-Mobile-6-... )

I have used both and currently am using the latest. I suspect whichever one you install you will be forced to upgrade - fortunately the upgrade didn't break anything for me.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

You are an angel. I have just downloaded the cab file and am getting ready to install.

The article you referenced was from February, 2010. At the end of October, just before the release of WindowsPhone 7, the President of Verizon stated (and I don't have time right now to find the reference and cite but will as soon as I am able) that Verizon will NOT be carrying the WindowsPhone 7 and relating the decision to the low sales volume of the Kin. Additionally, a plethora of Verizon employees - on the sales floor in their corporate stores, at their call centers, as well as a personal friend of mine who works for Verizon Corporate have all stated they will not be carrying WindowsPhone 7 as the company does not see the benefit.

There was, however, a link at the bottom of the February 2010 article that referenced a Tweet from @JMarksPHD (tweeted on November 8) which stated that Verizon will carry Windows 7 Mobile devices. Any informed individual would link that statement to a tablet-type device running Windows 7. An individual who has a PHD would understand the difference between Windows 7 and WindowsPhone 7. But again, you are dealing with Verizon so all bets are off on that one.

I will also acquiesce that there is an issue right now with the CDMA version of WindowsPhone 7 only being available from one manufacturer - HTC.

I truly hope Verizon gets on the ball and understands the benefit of carrying WindowsPhone 7.

MitigationElf!
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

You are an angel. I have just downloaded the cab file and am getting ready to install.

The article you referenced was from February, 2010. At the end of October, just before the release of WindowsPhone 7, the President of Verizon stated (and I don't have time right now to find the reference and cite but will as soon as I am able) that Verizon will NOT be carrying the WindowsPhone 7 and relating the decision to the low sales volume of the Kin. Additionally, a plethora of Verizon employees - on the sales floor in their corporate stores, at their call centers, as well as a personal friend of mine who works for Verizon Corporate have all stated they will not be carrying WindowsPhone 7 as the company does not see the benefit.

There was, however, a link at the bottom of the February 2010 article that referenced a Tweet from @JMarksPHD (tweeted on November 8) which stated that Verizon will carry Windows 7 Mobile devices. Any informed individual would link that statement to a tablet-type device running Windows 7. An individual who has a PHD would understand the difference between Windows 7 and WindowsPhone 7. But again, you are dealing with Verizon so all bets are off on that one.

I will also acquiesce that there is an issue right now with the CDMA version of WindowsPhone 7 only being available from one manufacturer - HTC.

I truly hope Verizon gets on the ball and understands the benefit of carrying WindowsPhone 7.

I just saw another ad for Windows Phone 7 showing how great the Office Mobile works on it.  Oh, how I wish I could have that!  There are so many things to like about my new Android phone, but I really, really miss having the Office Mobile.

Sorry about linking to an old article.  I know the web is a fickle beast, but that article had just popped up on my Gizmodo RSS feed the day before, so I did think it was current.

Also, I've been having a lot LOT of problems with Verizon over the past three months.  They've bent over backwards (finally) to solve the problem in terms of sending me a free network extender, replacing my phone, then finally letting me choose any other phone they sold in order to fix the problem.  None of it has worked and it seems that my house is a dead zone, even with the 3G network extender.  Ugh.  But anyway, when I was choosing my new phone while talking with Advanced Tech Support, he said "you probably don't want to wait for it, but since you like Windows Mobile, have you heard about Windows Phone 7?"  He didn't specifically say Verizon was getting it, but it was implied. I don't think he was trying to be misleading, I just think that Corporate isn't telling them anything definite.

In the end, I don't think anybody at Verizon knows what will happen.  The phones could show up unexpectedly or they could be the Duke Nukem of their inventory and be always "coming soon." 

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

I automatically thought windows phone would be supported like A pc,or laptop.how hard can it be??i almost bought the surround HTC phone, just last week, instead got the galaxy Captivate phone (have 30 days to decide buy am loving it lol) I have nook on my phone, but not yet downloaded A book.im home, so I read from the nook but this Screen is 4 plus inches, where I can see the enjoyment. I hated using the blackberry for reading lol.i agree why don't Windows phones have these apps??
Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

<SNIPPED>

Firstly, you don't apparently use Twitter, so let me clear up a misconception. I think the tweet in question is one from the official Verizon Wireless account.

What you may be remembering is their older party line about not having WP7 phones at launch. As for carrying WP7 devices, it will happen even if not as fast as some people will like. In fact, if you're "special", you can pre-order now.

Personally, WP7 is not a future I'm looking forward to in the evolution of Windows Phones (I'll be on WM 6.5.x until it's no longer feasible). At the same time, I don't want to silently allow misinformation to perpetuate itself.

Reader 4
patmand
0 Kudos

I so need a WP7 phone app...

Reader 4
alex_santos
0 Kudos

I'm a recent migrant from iPhone to WP7 and really really really miss the Nook app. Please develop one for the WP7 platform

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 174 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: