0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

+1
New User
Beagee
0 Kudos

Bumping the Thread

Bit of a disjointed rant here with several themes.

I just moved from the iPhone to a W7 Phone and want a Nook App.  I also purchased a W7 Phone for my wife.  I read several books a month so am a regular customer. 

Platform portability is important.  I still have an original Nook and have not updated to the color.  I'm not decided on if I'm going to upgrade to a Nook Color or choose another tablet device.  I'm waiting on the market to mature a bit.  B&N ability to develop cross platform applications in a timely manner will continue to play a role in my decision making.  

My son is thinking about giving up his iPhone as well. He is going to College next year and we are looking for alternatives to paper text books (They are so yesterday).  We are talking about $1000's of possible revenue for B&N.  We are 3 Customers out of millions but I think we fit an important demographic that needs to be addressed. 

At this point i see a lack focus for B&N in making the transition from brick and morter to e-tailer. I'm a proffesional that works in the corporate retail marketplace.  If B&N wants more info from me on how they are missing the boat they can email me.  lol

Reader
raymann
0 Kudos

Ditto, just got WP7 and was very disappointed that there still isn't a B&N app for it.

Contributor
Bookmark_71
0 Kudos

I ended up buying a Samsung Focus.  I sold my eink Nook on craigslist right after buying a Nook color.  7 days later the screen on the NC broke and filled with black and yellow vertical lines.  I returned it and now don't have a portable way to read my B&N books.

I hope they are creating a WP7 reader app.  The phone has been out for about 6 months and Kindle has had a reader on the platform for a while now.  I'd rather not switch to Amazon but I might have to buy my books in the future for their reader.

New User
clifswin
0 Kudos

I've been an ebook reader for over a decade. With quite a large virtual shelf of books from ereader.com and bn both, as well as Am***n, I'll pipe up and say B&N is really letting me down, so far. I have all these DRM books on their two platforms, and no way to read them except on my computer screen. My HD7 phone has a great screen for reading, but not the books I bought for my ereader or nook software.

As a voracious reader (averaging three books a week), I'm really unhappy that for the moment I'm limited to titles that I can get in non-DRM format (reading on Freda) or from the big "A". There's no way I'm going to be convinced that B&N can't put out a reader when one guy, working alone, comes out with something as good as Freda that he gives away. Nook software should be a walk in the park on a platform as easy to write for as WP7.

Get your act togehter.

New User
SarahCB1208
0 Kudos

I have an HTC Surround. I got it for free, so it's not like I can just go out and get another phone.

I won my Amazon Kindle, and HATE that I can't use DRM-protected PDF's on it (books I've purchased LEGIT). The Nook app was the only one I could use.

The failure to have one for a Windows 7 phone is beyond ridiculous. Amazon had one out literally 3 days after I got my phone, and they were OPEN on when they were going to release it.

This lack of notification on whether or not an app is going to even be released is both worrying and annoying.

I'm honestly considering canceling my discount card that I pay $30 a year for, because I'm not spending $200 or so on a Nook Color, just so I can read other types of books. I do NOT need another portable device, when I have the phone and the Kindle.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

Bumpity, bump, bump, bump.  C'mon B&N, what's the holdup?  We want our WP7 app!!!

New User
jakoski
0 Kudos

New User
Martokz
0 Kudos

+1

So disappointed in B&N for not having a nook app for the win7 phone. 

What's the deal?! Need a programmer B&N, I know several.

Reader
Grate_Righter
0 Kudos

Contributor
Bookmark_71
0 Kudos

The Windows Phone 7 marketplace has almost 13,000 apps now and no Nook reader.  Just another bump to remind B&N that I'd like to read my Nook content on my phone. 

Reader
spense6478
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New User
chrlsrchrdsn
0 Kudos

Contributor
ericmcarson
0 Kudos

what a shame for B&N to leave us all hanging like this! They won't even acknowledge that WP7 users are their customers. I'm not buying any more nook books until there is a WP7 app.

Reader
SucopSucoh
0 Kudos

Re: Nook ereader for Windows Phone 7

I usually use my (older) non-back-lit nook for extended reading, but it is not always practical to carry around, esp. on lunch breaks at work. I'd love to be able to use my new Windows 7 phone to keep up with my reading during these times. B&N... are you listening to all of us? I hope you are!

Contributor
StringTheory
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
lewellyn
0 Kudos

It is actually very hard to "read" (pardon the pun) B&N's intention in this direction.

They've let the semi-official WinMo 6.5 app languish without updates, unable to open many books in the latest version due to them somehow breaking its DRM; the Android version is a ghost of what you'd expect from something running on the same OS as their flagship dedicated device; the PC and Mac apps are semi-functional, usually; etc.

All this without any public feedback. It's not like those of us in multi-nook-hardware households fare any better. They made text and graphics rendering worse in the eink nook's 1.5 firmware (CS suggested that if it bothers me that much, I should downgrade to 1.4, and that was the end of my being able to try to give feedback...). And how did we hear that the nook color's supposed to get an update this month? HSN of all places! WTF. When did they become the place for customers to get the scoop on updates?

So yeah, I'd not be holding my breath for a Windows Phone 7 version, myself. I'm still on 6.5 and have given up on the ability to actually be able to read my books there anymore, even though there's an app (see above about DRM breakage). Considering that the WinMo 6.5 version is at 1.1.0.22 and fundamentally broken, I feel for those of you who will have to deal with version 1.0 on WP7... :smileysad:

What B&N really needs at this point, in my humble opinion, to stay not only competitive with the competition, but well ahead of it, is a very open way for users to express feedback. The B&N forum approach is not it. As far as any of us can tell, any feedback we give here goes into a black hole.

Perhaps what is needed is a public bug/feature tracker where we can vote for what annoys us most and a way for B&N to show how they prioritize the things we report and let us know when they're fixed for the next release and the ability to get coherent feedback on things that may not be easily clear/duplicable for the developers? Hell, maybe we should set something up ourselves as a community and point B&N at it. :smileytongue:

Sorry for going a bit off-topicish, but it's still on-topic: There won't be a WP7 release till B&N deems the userbase worthy of it, and there will be no announcement beforehand.

New User
junglejon
0 Kudos

Turns out Kindle announced that they will support DRM'd library books this year AND they have a win phone 7 app. 

If B & N doesn't make an announcement I may have to switch loyalty...

Reader
Pito-the-Pinkeye
0 Kudos

Odds are the legal fight between B&N and Microsoft is what will keep a Nook app for WP7 from being developed,  too bad...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2011/04/27/barnes-noble-microsoft-lawsuit-is-scheme-to-kill-goog...

New User
MHC48
0 Kudos

In case anyone from B&N reads this thread (or cares) I've been a B&N Club member almost since it began.Have always loved going to the physical stores and buying books there.

But I've bought far more books overall lately from Amazon since they released a WP7 Kindle App.

Can't see much point to renewing my club membership or buying from B&N when Amazon now supports me so much better and I don't have to go to a physical store to get instant download of books that sync on both my phone and computer.

I don't know if you're losing anyone else, but You've just about lost me as a customer. I only come in now for a Starbucks.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:64 members 467 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: