Contributor
ericmcarson
0 Kudos

Re: Nook ereader for Windows Phone 7

Since B&N has decided to ignore the WP7 market, and Amazon has embraced it, as well as eliminated the only competitive feature difference I cared about (library lending support), I sold my Nook and have dumped B&N for Amazon's Kindle. It is fantastic, and I love not having to think about why an old busted company like B&N is ignoring their customers.

New User
DrewH70
0 Kudos

I've given up buying physical books and magazines and will only buy media that is supported on my mobile devices.  For me that is Windows Phone 7 and the iPad2.  In the case of books even thought I could buy Nook books to read on my iPad, I won't because Amazon offers a better value in working with both my Windows Phone and iPad.   In the case of magazines, the Nook iPad app has horrible to no support.  I've found Zinio to offer the best magazine reading experience on the iPad.  I probably won't want to read a magzine on my phone anyway.  My hope has been for the last 6-9 months that the Nook ecosystem would bring it all together for me on my devices for both books and magazines.  That has not happened. With each day that goes by B&N is losing me as a customer and it becomes harder for them to bring me back.

B&N's call to action is

1. Support Windows Phone 7

2. Support magazine subscriptions in your desktop, ipad and phone apps.

New User
DJ_Ice
0 Kudos

I'm not sure how old these posts are, but it comes up high on my google search. DO NOT EXPECT A WP7 Nook, it will not happen, read below if you would like to know why.

Microsoft’s week was big on the corporate side of things: an earnings report, a few statements about a particular policy and the prospect of a drawn-out legal battle with … a book retailer?

As improbable as it may have seemed even five years ago, Microsoft is locking legal horns with Barnes & Noble, which fired off a counterclaim April 25 to Redmond’s lawsuit over intellectual property. At issue is Barnes & Noble’s e-reader, the Nook Color, which runs Google Android.

According to the bookseller, Microsoft is using its patent portfolio to squeeze royalties from manufacturers who install Android on their mobile devices, with its lawyers allegedly demanding large royalties for patent licenses related to the Nook.

“Microsoft is misusing these patents as part of a scheme to try to eliminate or marginalize the competition to its own Windows Phone 7 mobile device operating system posed by the open source Android operating system and other open source operating systems,” reads the counterclaim, filed with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington at Seattle. “Microsoft’s conduct directly harms both competition for and consumers of eReaders, smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile electronic devices, and renders Microsoft’s patents unenforceable.”

In its original action, filed March 21, Microsoft had insisted the Nook violates its intellectual property.

“The Android platform infringes a number of Microsoft’s patents, and companies manufacturing and shipping Android devices must respect our intellectual property rights,” Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft’s corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for intellectual property and licensing, wrote in a March 21 statement. “To facilitate that, we have established an industry-wide patent licensing program for device manufacturers.”

Microsoft and Motorola are currently locked in tit-for-tat intellectual-property lawsuits, with the former claiming the manufacturer violated nine patents with its Android smartphones. In April 2010, HTC announced it had agreed to pay Microsoft royalties in exchange for the use of “patented technology” in its Android-powered smartphones.

Barnes & Noble also raised the prospect of anti-competitive behavior on Microsoft’s part, a potentially sore point for a company that spent years locked in a monopoly dispute with the U.S. Department of Justice.

“Microsoft’s activities have a significant, wide felt, and highly detrimental anticompetitive effect and restrain competition in the market for mobile operating systems,” the counterclaim reads at one point, “by suppressing the use and development of open source mobile operating systems, including the Android operating system, and the development of applications and devices employing the same.”

New User
DJ_Ice
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

I'm not sure how old these posts are, but it comes up high on my google search. DO NOT EXPECT A WP7 Nook, it will not happen, read below if you would like to know why. Microsoft’s week was big on the corporate side of things: an earnings report, a few statements about a particular policy and the prospect of a drawn-out legal battle with … a book retailer? As improbable as it may have seemed even five years ago, Microsoft is locking legal horns with Barnes & Noble, which fired off a counterclaim April 25 to Redmond’s lawsuit over intellectual property. At issue is Barnes & Noble’s e-reader, the Nook Color, which runs Google Android. According to the bookseller, Microsoft is using its patent portfolio to squeeze royalties from manufacturers who install Android on their mobile devices, with its lawyers allegedly demanding large royalties for patent licenses related to the Nook. “Microsoft is misusing these patents as part of a scheme to try to eliminate or marginalize the competition to its own Windows Phone 7 mobile device operating system posed by the open source Android operating system and other open source operating systems,” reads the counterclaim, filed with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington at Seattle. “Microsoft’s conduct directly harms both competition for and consumers of eReaders, smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile electronic devices, and renders Microsoft’s patents unenforceable.” In its original action, filed March 21, Microsoft had insisted the Nook violates its intellectual property. “The Android platform infringes a number of Microsoft’s patents, and companies manufacturing and shipping Android devices must respect our intellectual property rights,” Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft’s corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for intellectual property and licensing, wrote in a March 21 statement. “To facilitate that, we have established an industry-wide patent licensing program for device manufacturers.” Microsoft and Motorola are currently locked in tit-for-tat intellectual-property lawsuits, with the former claiming the manufacturer violated nine patents with its Android smartphones. In April 2010, HTC announced it had agreed to pay Microsoft royalties in exchange for the use of “patented technology” in its Android-powered smartphones. Barnes & Noble also raised the prospect of anti-competitive behavior on Microsoft’s part, a potentially sore point for a company that spent years locked in a monopoly dispute with the U.S. Department of Justice. “Microsoft’s activities have a significant, wide felt, and highly detrimental anticompetitive effect and restrain competition in the market for mobile operating systems,” the counterclaim reads at one point, “by suppressing the use and development of open source mobile operating systems, including the Android operating system, and the development of applications and devices employing the same.”

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Count me in for wanting a Nook app for WP7.  Now that Verizon has a WP7 device, I think you'll see an uptick of people posting about this again.

New User
ndboarder
0 Kudos

I'm waiting on this as well.  I have a Nook, but it isn't with me 24/7 like my phone, so there are definitely times I wish I could read my Nook Books on my phone.

There is likely credibility to the previous post regarding MS and patent claims, considering there was also recent news regarding HTC paying MS $5 per handset that runs Android as well.  Either way, it didn't stop B&N from creating a PC client, so I don't see why they would want to alienate users of Windows Phone 7. 

I don't have too many nookbooks at this point, and this is one reason that I am considering a Kindle over the new (6/10/11) Nook, because if I switch at least I have a Kindle app on my phone.  Plus, many of my friends have now gone to Kindle, as fresh eReader purchasers, for the same reason.

New User
rcapps860
0 Kudos

Love my Nook and love my Windows 7 Phone, why can't they just love each other???

Please Please Please create a Nook App for the poor misunderstood Windows 7 phones out there.

New User
EricBMeyers

Sounds like WP7 won't be getting any 'nookies' :smileysad:, thus this PC / WP7 user is migrating to the Amazon Kindle platform, sorry B&N...

New User
lmoritz
0 Kudos

I too am losing patience with BN not coming out with a Windows Phone 7 app!

C'mon, let's get it out already!

New User
BNWP7
0 Kudos

BN to support WP7 or lose customers and regret it.

New User
Edwincnelson
0 Kudos

My wife, son and I all have Nooks and I am about to get a new phone, and because I already have a Zune and use the Zune pass, I was looking at the HTC Trophy, so this is certainly a disappointment. Looking into the legal issues I don't see that the problems between B&N would be a problem. Google and Windows have issues but that doesn't stop Samsung from making Bing the default search (actually only seach) on the Fascinate. B&N doesn't have an app on Web OS, RIM, or Symbian either so this most likely just a matter of devoting resources for R&D to port the app and then provide support.

After the Mango update and the release of the first wave of Nokia WIn 7 phones I wouldn't be shocked to see the app pop up. 

Contributor
NebsiNsaNe
0 Kudos

Most companies are fighting patent lawsuits with one another and its nothing new.. Usually this doesnt affect the companies relationship when it comes to a product.. One example is Apple and Samsung. They're going at it hard, and yet Samsung still sells their chips to Apple for the iPad and iPhones...  there is still profit to be made, so why stop?

IF this is REALLY the case, then B&N is acting spoiled.. but I seriously dont think it is. This thread has been pretty vocal about their want of an app on WIndows Phone and WP7 seems to be growing nicely in userbase, but the market share numbers still show us as the minority. Thatwould make as much sense as making an app for MeeGo.. What I suspect is that B&N wont waste their time building an app for us because the userbase is still small, and after all, time is money.

Still think it sucks we dont have an app tho.

New User
Edik
0 Kudos

My wife and I are both Windows Phone 7 user and will greatly appreciate if an app is available soon.  Daughter just got Nook color, she loves it.  Thanks. 

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

I now have had my WP 7 for over a month and am still waidint for the Nook. I sooooo enjoy the Nook over Kindle but it looks like it is going to have to be Kindle. I like to have all of my devices on the same platform. I choose MS (Windows, WP7) and Nook. Unfortunately, Nook is not a choice now. :manmad:

http://alternativeto.net/software/nook/?platform=windows-phone

B&N, PLEASE get over yourself and develop an app for us.

MitigationElf!
Reader
frankrmorrison
0 Kudos

Hey BN - there are now millions of WP7 devices out there.  My wife and I are both avid Nook Color and WP7 fans and would really like to see the app compete against Kindle for the hearts and minds of WP7 users!

New User
McFuzzin
0 Kudos

+1 for Nook eReader on WP7... stat!

New User
wcthompson
0 Kudos

I understand B&N's legal spate over patents, but that's just the nature of Android right now and the cost of doing business, so I don't care. The Nook isn't alone in device makers facing patent troubles, and other manufacturers settle it just fine.

I sincerely hope this isn't what's holding up development of a WP7 app. I love my Nook Touch and would love to see it extended to my Samsung Focus, but if this is the case, I don't want anything with a company that would rather fight an ideological battle at the cost of extending and promoting their brand, and at the expense of their customers.

I'm hoping for good things for the future of the Nook.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Since B&N seems to be refusing to develop a Nook application for the Windows Phone 7, I wanted to let evyeone know that Blio has their Windows Phone 7 application out and available for use from the Marketplace. Of course we all know the Kindle is also available.

Has anyone heard anythingabout the Microsoft Reader being updated yet for Windows Phone 7?

It is unfortunate that B&N is ignoring this segment of their market. I guess we wll just have to move.

MitigationElf!
Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

It is also unfortunate that noone from B&N is replying to any or our inquiries.

MitigationElf!
Reader
raymann
0 Kudos

Agreed

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 867 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: