Contributor
VinceInMN
0 Kudos

Re: Nook eReader for Windows Phone 7

You know, it's going on 2 years since we started yammering about this, so I'm guessing they're not going to accomodate.  At any rate, I only buy ereader devices I can hack now and I run whatever ereader software I like on there, so the GlowLight and the B&N ecosystem has been good for me anyway.  I went with Android on my phone, so the lack of an app there didn't bother me; but I'm essentially done with single vendor devices.  If I can't hack it and it doesn't support all the ebook providers that I want to use, then I won't buy it. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Microsoft had its chance before the Iphone came out and they blew it. As long as Google continues to innovate Android and the open handset alliance continues to offer different choices in phones. Android will continue to be top dog.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

I am still holding out hope...what little I have left.   PayPal announced an app coming out shortly, so other than an app for my specific bank, I am pretty well rounded.  If a nook app came out, I would have pretty much everything I had on an iphone.

The glowlight came out and instead of getting one for father's day, I decided to skip it, save my pennies and wait for a new Microsoft Surface.  I guess B&N really didn't need the sale.

Oh well.....

Reader
Wordjoy
0 Kudos

ever Used a Windows phone of just Fan Boying it.. Android is a nice little computer OS with lots of programs and an Phone interface tacked on...

Windows Phone has a level design for tying communications, navigation and portable media together.

If I wanted an OS I could HACK Android is great if I want a portable device designed to be quick and easy WP wins.. and since 95% of the Smartphone market is not geeks.. it will just take time.. for people get the different.. My wife already is the envy of the BlackBerry people.. her email never goes down.

New User
felipefaccini
0 Kudos

I was about to buy me a nook as well, but prefert to wait for the surface.

Contributor
VinceInMN
0 Kudos

I see where you're coming from there.  Surface will surely be much more capable device than any Nook, hacked or not.  However I will say that the Nook screens are, for me anyway, the hands down winner for readability.  The e-ink screens are just SO much more usable in my opinion. 

So, I would recommend this - do some book reading on an iPad or even an Android.  If you get through a book that way without feeling cross-eyed, experiencing head-aches, etc. then a Surface tablet will probably do just fine for you.  Otherwise, I think you would want a real e-reader for reading.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

felipefaccini wrote:

I was about to buy me a nook as well, but prefert to wait for the surface.

If I were using a Windows Phone I would still buy a Nook. The epub file format is the world wide standard and is usable on more devices than Amazon's azw format. I would look at what epub readers are available for Windows phone. I would then look at how to remove the DRM from the books that you paid for. Then you can read them on your phone as well.  

Frequent Contributor
BellesKH
0 Kudos

Until B&N produces, Windows Phone epub ereader = Freda Reader
Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

"ever Used a Windows phone of just Fan Boying it.. "

Yes.  I had a Samsung Focus and now a Lumia 900.  I had an iPhone 3GS previoiusly and when the battery died I tried WP7.  I never looked back.

I also had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7".  Biggest POS I have ever used.  Couldn't update to ICS or even Froyo...The interface was lousy and so was ereading.  I bought it on ebay and sold it on craigslist for what I paid.  All I lost was time and agrivation.

"If I wanted an OS I could HACK Android is great if I want a portable device designed to be quick and easy WP wins.. and since 95% of the Smartphone market is not geeks."

I agree.  I am in IT and I spend most of my day (about 8-12 hours) making things work.  When I pick up my phone/tablet and want to check my stocks, or read another chapter of a book at lunch, I don't want to have to go into "support mode."  I spend my most of my time there....I don't want to do that in my off hours.  Hell...at parties, when people find out I am in IT, the support questions are not far behind!

New User
ormico
0 Kudos

Just bumping this thread.

Any news? This thread has been running for a while :smileyhappy:

I usually buy DRM free or amazon, since the kindle apps are on my phone and PC, but it would be nice if B&N was an option.
Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

Nothing yet.  Paypal released an app already, and quite frankly it is much better than the iPhone/iPad version.  I have no idea what is taking B&N so long to get this done.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ArtfulBodger wrote:

Nothing yet.  Paypal released an app already, and quite frankly it is much better than the iPhone/iPad version.  I have no idea what is taking B&N so long to get this done.

It's not getting done because they're not doing it.

Given that MS is now heavily involved in nook and that Windows 8 is around the corner, it's likely resources are allocated to making a really fantastic app for Windows Phone 8.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

Windows 8 RT is out and B&N totally failed to deliver a Nook app.  Even with $300M in investment from MS.   Read the WSJ article.  http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/26/missing-from-surface-tablet-barnes-nobles-nook-app/

Kindle is there.  Seriously B&N, are you actively looking to lose your customer base?

keriflur
0 Kudos

ArtfulBodger wrote:

Windows 8 RT is out and B&N totally failed to deliver a Nook app.  Even with $300M in investment from MS.   Read the WSJ article.  http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/26/missing-from-surface-tablet-barnes-nobles-nook-app/

Kindle is there.  Seriously B&N, are you actively looking to lose your customer base?

It's still coming.  Unless you're holding a Win8 device in your hand right now, the fact that it's not there yet does not affect you.

Contributor
ArtfulBodger
0 Kudos

I was (and am still) holding a Surface in my hand.  I am typing this on a Surface as we speak.  Best damm tablet I have ever used - which is why I bought it.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Keriflur - Its coming? To Windows Phone 7? Which is what this thread has been about since 2010. We don't believe it. What is your proof? We are in 7.5 and looking towards 7.8 - Still nothing from B&N - not even a "Hi, we do want you as a coustomer" from B&N.

I have stopped purchasing Nook titles even though I have a nook touch and do not own a Kindle... I can cary my Kindle books with me on my 7.5

Show me your proof that is coming to WP 7, KIeriflur  - I double dog dare you!

MitigationElf!
keriflur
0 Kudos

MitigationElf wrote:

Keriflur - Its coming? To Windows Phone 7? Which is what this thread has been about since 2010. We don't believe it. What is your proof? We are in 7.5 and looking towards 7.8 - Still nothing from B&N - not even a "Hi, we do want you as a coustomer" from B&N.

I have stopped purchasing Nook titles even though I have a nook touch and do not own a Kindle... I can cary my Kindle books with me on my 7.5

Show me your proof that is coming to WP 7, KIeriflur  - I double dog dare you!

Uh, no, I quoted the post I was responding to.  READ THE POST.  It very clearly states Win8.

Reader
raymann
0 Kudos

Just bought a Lumia 920, while most of my collection is B&N I do have some amazon books so I d

l the kindle app...crashed on wp8.

but guess what, within 2 days amazon patched it and it works great. Meanwhile BN has a partnership with Microsoft and they still can't get out a windows phone app. Tell me again why am I bothering to be here?

keriflur
0 Kudos

raymann wrote:

Just bought a Lumia 920, while most of my collection is B&N I do have some amazon books so I d

l the kindle app...crashed on wp8.

but guess what, within 2 days amazon patched it and it works great. Meanwhile BN has a partnership with Microsoft and they still can't get out a windows phone app. Tell me again why am I bothering to be here?

Why are you?  I'm sure you have some reason.  If you don't then, heck, why not go over to Amazon, or Google, or Kobo, or whoever else makes an app for your phone?  Do what's right for YOU.

Reader
raymann
0 Kudos

Because I've had a nook since it first came out and I don't want to abandon my library which is much larger here
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 1,011 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: