Contributor
Denisewithsabrina
0 Kudos

Nook for Android Crashes - Library Won't Sync

Hello,

I have a Motorola Droid and about three weeks ago the Nook application started to crash repeatedly. I can't get my library to sync, and every new time I try it, it crashes and I need to force close it. I also have a Nook and the Nook application for my PC, which I've been able to sync and use with no problems, so I know the problem is Droid-related.

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it again a couple of times, with no success. It seems to me that this must have happened since the last time there was an update for the application. 

Do you guys have any idea of what's going on? Is there anything else I should be checking to see if the problem is with my phone in particular?

Thanks,

Denise.
Contributor
bkspero
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Android Crashes - Library Won't Sync

Similar issue on Droid X.  One book (Mysterious Island by Jules Verne) indicates that it has downloaded (the Download button is gone), but when I click to read it, it jumps to a blank page and then either jumps back to the Library or crashes the App.  I've tested 2 other books and they are fine.  I know the Mysterious Island book is ok, as I am reading it on my Nook.

New User
eksand
0 Kudos

I just purchased the new Android Thunderbolt yesterday and am having the same crash problems as mentioned by others.  It's frustrating since it is one feature I have enjoyed when using by old Blackberry phone.  Anyone have any information - any work arounds?????

New User
KR_CA
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I just activated my HTC Thunderbolt (Droid 2.2) last night and the Nook app crashes over and over.  Honestly I'd rather read on my NC anyway, but it would be really cool to have the books/mags on my phone.  Glad to know I'm not the only one having this issue and looking forward to a resolution from BN in the future.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

The nook app runs fine on my Driod Incredible.  Have you checked the permissions?  The app should be able to modify SD card contents and have full internet access.  Mine can also read phone state and identity and prevent the phone from sleeping.  FWIW:  Mine is also installed to the SD card and not in main memory.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Sorry if I'm being dense, but how do you check permissions?  I have a brand new Thunderbolt that just arrived last night and I can't figure it out.  The "Settings" button just brings up a bunch of page appearance options, and the phone's menu button just brings up "Log Out," "Send Feedback," and "Help."  I tried Help but it only links to the BN website.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about your Thunderbolt, but on my Incredible from the Main Screen I tap Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage applications/Nook and then scroll down to Permissions.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your help!  That made a lot of sense and I was able to find it.  Unfortunately all the settings were already as you had specified, so I tried moving it to the SD card.  It still doesn't work!  I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling; if it still doesn't work I'll assume that it's not optimized to work on the Thunderbolt yet and just keep waiting.

Not THAT big a deal; I'd rather read on the NC anyway.  It would be fun to have books and magazines in my pocket instead of my purse, but it would also be fun to be a size 0 and have lots of money.  Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you already have!

New User
almon
0 Kudos

I had this issue as well on a HTC Evo and a hacked Nook Color running Cyanogenmod 7.1.

The easiest solution is this (which is a little bit technical but not that technical) and is easier on "Rooted" Android devices.

Since the Nook Android App stores everything on the SD card, you will need to delete the damaged "book" file from the SD Card.

Option 1:

- Take your SD card out of your phone and stick it into your computer.  You will see a folder called "Nook".  Navigate to the folder and take a look at its contents.  Select the book title that is crashing and delete it.

- After deleting the bad book file, put the SD card back in to your phone / tablet and boot up your device

- After boot up, start the Nook app again, it will "download" the book again since it is no longer there

- Click on the just download book.  And now you can start enjoying your read.

Option 2:

- For "Rooted" users, use File Manager, navigate to the folder called "Nook" and take a look at its contents.

- Select the book title that is crashing and delete it.

- After deleting the bad book file, put the SD card back in to your phone / tablet and boot up your device

- After boot up, start the Nook app again, it will "download" the book again since it is no longer there

- Click on the just download book.  And now you can start enjoying your read.

Worked for me.  For a while, I was getting pissed off at the App thinking something was wrong.  All the other books opened just not this one.

Hope it helps.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,070 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: