New User
madcorgi
0 Kudos

Nook for BlackBerry 10

Where is the Nook App for BlackBerry 10?  Why doesn't Nook Web Reader work on BlackBerry 10?

I like my original Nook and my Nook Tablet, but those don't go with me everywhere.  Is there a date when the App will be available?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for BlackBerry 10

I never figured out why they discontinued support for Nook for the older Blackberry.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I never figured out why they discontinued support for Nook for the older Blackberry.

Lack of market share.

For the new blackberry - I'm not aware of B&N giving an indication that there was an app for it in development (though I could have missed it - as I no longer use BB I haven't followed the software announcements closely).  I would expect, given the small market share, that an app for the BB10 would be a fairly low priority.  It's unfortunate - IMO BB makes fantastic devices.

It's a vicious circle. Low market share --> Fewer meaningful apps and Fewer meaningful apps --> Low market share.  All of just means fewer choices for consumers, fewer true players, and an increased risk for decreased innovation.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Lack of market share.

Lack of market share doesn't explain why they discontinued support for a product that was already working just fine.  I installed it on my BB and it worked fine, then at some point they disabled the connection from the server end so I could no longer download anything new.  So once I finished the books I had downloaded (I kept a couple to read only on my BB when I was stuck waiting in line or at the doctor's office) I couldn't download any more, and couldn't manage to get sideloading to work.

And, BTW, my contract is due up in a few months and I plan to replace my Curve with a BB10.  Sure would be nice to have a reading app for it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Lack of market share.

Lack of market share doesn't explain why they discontinued support for a product that was already working just fine.

Actually it does - if they disconnect and list it as no longer supported, then they get a cost savings by not having to address issues going foward, and they only lose a tiny amount of market share, that they're likely to gain back as BB users get frustrated at the lack of apps across the board and move to Android and iOS.

I'm not saying the logic is fair to consumers (in fact I say the opposite upthread), but it's the logic used to generally make decisions when you don't have virtually unlimited resources available to build apps.

Some recent stats on market share:

US: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/microsoftpri0/2013/08/07/windows-phones-u-s-market-share-edges-up/

World: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

This might explain why there is no BB app nor an app for Win7,8,

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/microsoftpri0/2013/08/07/windows-phones-u-s-market-share-edges-up/

New User
fourspeed
0 Kudos

You're going to love the Q10.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 481 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: