New User
JOdell999
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook for Mac not working...

I just installed Nook for Mac (because I cannot get my Nook for Adroid to work!) and all I get is a grey screen with a box in the middle saying "Nook by Barnes & Noble).  In the tool bar, the only options are Nook for Mac and Edit.  What gives?  I know that support for Mac is crap, but if you are going to have it available, you should at least make sure it works...  I have a MacBook (2011) with Intel Duo Core with 4GB RAM and plenty of HD space... 

New User
TC_exz
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Mac not working...

if your mac is 10.6 or higher it should be compatible...Im having the same problems though..HELP!!

Reader
mrsshaggy
0 Kudos

i know i have the macbook pro and i am having the same issue. it works on my droid but i am having the same problem geting it on my mac. This sucks i am ust gonna buy my hubby the book he wants so i can get my nook back.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

It's working fine on my MacBook Pro running Lion, worked on Snow Leopard too.

New User
PaperbakWriter
0 Kudos

I'm running Lion and the app is very glitchy. It only opens correctly when the .dmg file is on the Desktop, and then, it only works sparingly. I've had to re-install the app several times already just to get it to work once.

Epic FAIL B&N....

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

PaperbakWriter wrote:

I'm running Lion and the app is very glitchy. It only opens correctly when the .dmg file is on the Desktop, and then, it only works sparingly. I've had to re-install the app several times already just to get it to work once.

Epic FAIL B&N....

Are you running the app from the .dmg file?

If so try copying it to that applications folder.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

There have been posts about Nook for Mac not working correctly for months. Some of us (including me!) thought it was working great, and then it just... stopped.

What does continue to work is NookSTUDY for Mac. It is easier downloading and using that, and knowing it works.

Contributor
Scythe1969
0 Kudos

Copying the app to the hard drive doesn't work. The workaround seems to be to launch the app from the volume created by the .dmg file. I just can't understand why that is... I'm running Snow Leopard and the app hasn't worked in a couple of months. By the way, Nook Study would be a solution but since the last update, the pagination is all messed up (missing pages) on any book that I open with the application...

Contributor
Scythe1969

I think i have found a solution to this problem, consisting of two steps:

1. Create a folder in your Applications folder, call it: NOOKforMac

Once you've done this, copy the Nook app to this folder. This should allow the app to run on the 1st or possibly second attempt to launch it.

2. Once you're done using the app always quit it by clicking on the X (red in some cases) button of the application window (upper left hand corner)

This seems to have resolved the issue and my guess is that somehow the .dmg volume path is somewhere hard coded in the app configuration.

Give this a try and post your results - I'm curious to see if this workaround gets some traction.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Nope, doesn't make any difference here, still doesn't work. Thanks for trying! I'll stick with NookStudy for Mac - I'm not reading on my Mac anyway, just want the files stored here locally.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

No change for me either on SL.  Opens once, then won't open again.  

Reader 2
irishredbeard
0 Kudos

Running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and this worked for me. 

New User
enipal1
0 Kudos

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but mine stopped working when I opened it from the dock. I simply removed it from the dock and opened it from the applications folder again and it worked again. 

New User
icravebooks
0 Kudos

I have to admit, I scoffed at the idea of simply putting the Nook application into a folder.  But surprisingly, it worked!  I tried removing the app from the dock and replacing it but that didn't work.  Putting it into a folder worked for me.  Also, I'm running Snow Leopard on my mac.

Thanks for the post! 

New User
jls95
0 Kudos

I thought I was crazy. I have a MacBook Pro Leopard OS and I have exactly the same issue. aughh!

New User
diomenes
0 Kudos

I've given up after a few months of sometimes opening, most times not; fonts not always working, etc. etc.  I downloaded Nook Study and it works fine.  In fact, it has tabs, so that you can have more than one book open at a time, and a cleaner interface.

New User
kryz
0 Kudos

I use Snow  Leopard

I was constantly having problems geting Nook for Mac to get beyond the gray screen. I tried having the BN site open in Firefox at the same time, having my Nook Library open, etc.

Finally discovered that it opens fairly consistently if I don't have Mail.app running when I try to open Nook for Mac.

New User
Ejby
0 Kudos

I've just installed Nook for Mac on my Macbook Pro with the following characteristics and its not working. When I open Nook there is just the Nook logo in the window and that's all.

Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.53 GHz
  L2 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    4 GB

Reader
BoookWorm
0 Kudos

I can run the app but when I click the book icon to read a book it does NOTHING.

Anyone else?

New User
valdiejune
0 Kudos

This suggestion was very helpful:

http://openkase.com/tech/nook-for-mac-not-even-beta/

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 516 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: