Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Mac not working...

lfeuln wrote:
LarryOnLI - but there is no Nook for Mac app in the Mac App Store (not through B&N's website) that I could find. Are you actually seeing something available now?

My mistake, I thought I remembered downloading it from the App Store. Must have gotten it confused with iTunes for the iPad/iPhone.

New User
TREKP1
0 Kudos

This does work but is cumbersome.

New User
mjkemm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was having the same issue, with the Nook for Mac only opening once, then not again. To get it to work again I would have to restart my mac, obviously I'm not doing that. My Nook for Mac app opens with the gray screen and the nook sign and stops.

I found that if you right-click on the gray area and click on "back", then right-click again and click on "forward". Before the program can stop working again, repeat the same instructions, back and forward (So clicking on back/forward twice in a row). This should load it, and this has worked a few times for me. The second time you do the right-click back/forward you must do it quickly when the nook sign comes back up. 

See if this works for you guys. 

Female seeking archenemy - preferably tall, please
New User
dennishenley
0 Kudos

I'm running Nook for Mac on an iMac with Mountain Lion. Like everybody else in this message area, the program does not work. I followed mjkemm's suggestion to click back and then forward (I only had to do this once) and that forced the program to load. I can only quit using a force quit, though, but at least I can read any epub books I have.

If the kindle app were this flaky, amazon wouldn't be the leader.

Time to step it up B&N. We're willing to use your apps and buy your books. But you have to help us out a bit, too.

Reader 2
ashleyrose5
0 Kudos

It worked for me, but I had to trash the application, then reinstall it and put it straight into the folder, Thanks!
New User
flerchjj
0 Kudos

When I start the app and the logo appears - I need to right click on the grey background and select back. After that I right click on the grey background and select forward. The app continues to load after that.

New User
Steve1469
0 Kudos

How about that? Did just as the poster suggested and it let me sign in and now seems to work. Strange.

New User
goofy166
0 Kudos

Putting the app in a folder in the Applications folder, plus using the right click Back and right click Forward worked for me.

BUT COME ON BARNES AND NOBLE...if you want to stay alive in the ebook reader marketplace you can't let a silly little bug like this go unfixed for months and months.

I am a very loyal customer, have about 4 Nook readers. I love the readers but sometimes I only have a laoptop with me and want to read my books. To make me jump though all these hurdles just to get a Mac reader to work is downright rediculous. I am also an app developer (iBird Guide to Birds of North America) and I know how hard it is to keep all these apps up to date but I am one guy with a tiny staff and you are a several hundred million dollar corporations so please DEAL WITH THIS.

New User
Jonelr70139
0 Kudos

Thank you - this worked perfectly!!

New User
jpgoldberg
0 Kudos

Thanks. That seems to have "solved" the problem for me, too.

So putting NOOK for Mac.app in a folder called NOOKforMac makes this usuable for me. (I'm using OS X 10.8.2)

New User
Stazio
0 Kudos

This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Reader
Cullenluver13
0 Kudos

Um hey, I just wanted to close the app. I got it working but now it won't quit all the way and stays in my dock. It's annoying me and I just wanna get rid of it but once I tried to move it to trash it wold me "The item “NOOK for Mac” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open."

Any sugestions on how to delet it?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Cullenluver13 wrote:

Um hey, I just wanted to close the app. I got it working but now it won't quit all the way and stays in my dock. It's annoying me and I just wanna get rid of it but once I tried to move it to trash it wold me "The item “NOOK for Mac” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open."

Any sugestions on how to delet it?

You need to select "Force Close" from the Apple menu.

New User
MrDj67
0 Kudos

I hold down the (Option+Shift) then open... this works for me. May take couple of times :smileyhappy:. It's so annoying though.
New User
rkbl
0 Kudos

You just made my evening a hell of a lot better. Thank you.
Reader
dramachick
0 Kudos

March 2013, and it still doesn't work. I use the Ctrl-click-back-forward thing 2X to open and load, then have to use Force Quit to quit. None of the different folder name incarnations solve anything. This is a pain in the butt.

New User
manneca
0 Kudos

No wonder B & N is losing money on its eReaders. Once upon a time they were great. Now, they stink. I solved the problem by puttin the app in a folder NookforMac. Well, it worked once.

Evidently this has been a problem for years.

Reader
kmgorski
0 Kudos

ditto - very frustrating that there has been no update, nor any revisions for several years. There are simply times when I do NOT want to use my nook, but prefer to use my computer.

Sad state of affairs.

Frequent Contributor
Davan

[ Edited ]

One quick workaround is to download NOOK Study for Mac.  Just login with your normal user/pass and all of your books, mags, etc will load and you can read from there.  And as a bonus, if you need to read an eTextbook, you are golden as NOOK for Mac will not read eTextbooks.  NOOK Study was updated last month.

New User
kbagley
0 Kudos

Worked for me!! Thank you so much!! 

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 314 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: