Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Nook for Mac

One of the features listed on the Nook page is the ability to sync with Macs. So when I moved from Windows to Mac, I expected to have  a full- featured Mac application available to me, one with the same functionality I enjoyed on my PC.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that no such application exists, and all I can get is an e-reader app for my new machine. Not even a particularly good one.

I'm seriously considering moving to a Kindle before I spend any more money on a machine I can't synch or manage from my desktop. I suggest to B&N that they either produce the advertised software or edit their site so it no longer misleads their customers.

On a side note, I'm not happy that my membership card doesn't do me any good when buying e-books. That's $35 I won't be spending next year.

New User
bijou72
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Mac

Tell me about it.  I bought the Nook in a B&N store and spent over an hour with the salesperson.  She assured me over and over again that the Nook e-reader software worked with Mac OS 10.5 (i.e. Leopard).  I specifically asked for the specs because I was currently running OS 10.3.9 on a G5 PowerPC Mac, and I was planning to upgrade my computer to Mac OS 10.5(Leopard) so I could use an e-reader.  I can't run Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on my G5 PowerPC computer, it's only compatible with 'Intel' Macs.  Before I upgraded the OS, I downloaded (bought) about 60? e-books to my Nook.  Big mistake, since I can't read them on my computer.  Called B&N, and apparently they could care less about offering e-reader software for all Mac users. They basically blew me off when I said they're using deceptive business practices.  I'm extremely upset because I've been a B&N customer for years and spent thousands of dollars on books.  I have over 500 books that I will be converting to e-books. NOT through B&N.  I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau and am e-mailing Apple and every Mac publication and blog.  You should do the same!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

Right on the tech specs page on the website for the mac nook software, it says that it is only compatible with intel-based macs.  I don't like it either, but I'm not sure how this is deceptive.  Asking a sales person without doing any additional research is going to subject you to human fallibility.  Some sales people have memorized everything about the nook, and others are "book people" filling in while said "nook expert" has gone to lunch.  

Also, if you only asked about software versions, and didn't specifically ask about PowerPC vs. Intel, I'm not sure the sales person was at fault.  At a certain point, you're going to have to get used to the fact that your PowerPC based mac has been deemed obsolete, including by apple itself, and other companies are just not going to spend time writing new software for computers that were back-burnered in 2006. 

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

I have an Intel based Mac. The Nook app is not available for OS X.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

[ Edited ]

MattFL - 

If you've got an intel-based mac, try the nookStudy application.  (when it asks for your school, just put "other" - that's what I did).  

It works great, and connects to your library.  

There is a "regular" Mac-based e-reader app from B&N, but it's pretty crappy compared to the windows-based one.  NookStudy is up-to-date.

(edited to add, my first response was to bijou72).

Contributor
simplyparticular
0 Kudos

MattFL wrote:

One of the features listed on the Nook page is the ability to sync with Macs. So when I moved from Windows to Mac, I expected to have  a full- featured Mac application available to me, one with the same functionality I enjoyed on my PC.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that no such application exists, and all I can get is an e-reader app for my new machine. Not even a particularly good one.

I'm seriously considering moving to a Kindle before I spend any more money on a machine I can't synch or manage from my desktop. I suggest to B&N that they either produce the advertised software or edit their site so it no longer misleads their customers.

On a side note, I'm not happy that my membership card doesn't do me any good when buying e-books. That's $35 I won't be spending next year.

matt- I'm not familiar with the Windows Nook app, but yes, the Mac version is basically a re-brand of the eReader app, with ePub reading added in. Reading only, not book organization.

In terms of moving books back and forth, my Nook loads just fine as a USB drive on my Mac. So I can load files manually that way. 

Two other options:

1. Use Adobe Digital Editions. If you plan to borrow library books, you'll be using it anyway. The Nook, once authorized, shows up and books can be dragged and dropped. I would only recommend this if you don't have a particularly large library, as it doesn't have a large organization function.

2. You also might want to take a look at Calibre, free ebook management software. I've found it to be essential, especially if you have a large selection of books.

In terms of syncing your position in the book across multiple devices, I don't think B&N has that feature available on all devices yet.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL

[ Edited ]

I installed the Nook Study app yesterday, and it works great. And I get categories, at least on my desktop :smileyhappy:

Only downside is that the shop button is just for textbooks, but I can live with that until BN gets us a better solution.

Reader 4
anijh12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks very-simple for the NOOKstudy suggestion.  It's not perfect but it's definitely better than the eReader app.  Barnes & Noble should remove the eReader app and suggest this route for mac users until they come up with something comparable to the "nook for PC" for macs.  I'm glad I found this thread.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

BN just announced that the big update for Nook coming in December will include the ability to organize books on your device. Big step forward.

Reader
alpinequeen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Let me tell you my problems! I bought the Year's Best SF 27th annual today at work using my 3 year old Leopard Macbook. I have the Nook app 1.1 on it. I downloaded the book and started to read it. When I got home, I booted up my 6 year old Panther powered G5 Powermac which has the Nook app 1.0 on it. I downloaded the book and started reading it. I have had no problems with the Nook app for the Mac, but the only ebooks I had acquired to this point, were free.

Tonight I bought three more books, old SF collections for peanuts and went to my Nook library to download them. For each one, I got the "SORRY - THIS DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED YET" message.

Fine. I disconnected the G5's CATV cable ethernet and plugged it into the Macbook and went to my (yes it works that way, don't need no silly router here) Nook library to download the three books. Same thing. I got the "THIS DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED YET" message.

I emailed B&N asking for a refund on my peanuts and asked how I could tell if a certain book was supported with my two Macs.

So now we'll see what happens.

However - I had previously purchased the Year's Best SF 27th Annual from Amazon and when I tried to read it, I could not go to a double column format. Several of the icons at the top of the page for this were simply not there. I emailed Amazon asking for a refund and told them their Kindle app for the Mac was not fully functional. Still waiting to here about that one. Amazon emaild back with links to their so called "help" pages which I had already scoured clean. You can't get there from here!

And yes, I owned a Rocket eBook years ago. Really dysfunctional dreck. I thought with Amazon and B&N wading into the ebook foray, things would work. I thought wrong.

Maybe I'll just stick with print books.

PS: By the way, I have a friend who has a G4 iMac running Leopard. Trust me, I saw it in action 'cuz she had asked me to help trouble shoot an internet connection problem. That turned out to be Verizon's boo boo. She told me she had Leopard and I told her no way. When I booted the G4 iMac, there was Leopard. Her computer whiz nephew had installed it. Go figure.

New User
Kevinaom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for Mac - Very very disappointing

Very disappointing that Barnes and Noble do not have a "sync" version of the Mac reader (at least none that i can find).  No where does it tell you this feature does not exists.  I had to execute searches to find this board to find out it does not exist. 

I have been very happy with the Nook and with Barnes and Noble until now.  Wow, what a disaster.  

Contributor
GwenluvsJKS
0 Kudos

THANK YOU for this thread.  I spent 20 minutes trying n the phone with customer service trying to find out how to get my books to download with the Title instead of the ISBN, which is not helpful when trying to open a book.  I found this thread and downloaded the Nook Study app and BAM!  All my books were synced and the covers are beautifuly displayed on my iMac screen.

Thanks again!!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 66 members 709 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: