Reader 4
EEis4Me
0 Kudos

Nook for PC - Unlock Product Issue

Every since I downloaded the latest nook for pc software for my Windows 7 64 bit machine, I keep getting this pop up window that says I have to unlock the product using the credit card on file.  I downloaded the software originally when it first came out - in Nov.?  and I called support which noted my account but I continue to have this problem.  I called again today, was on the phone for an hour, and the final result was - "it could be because we are doing a software update".  Really??  For two months??  You are not allowed to speak the their digital management team directly, you have to go through another customer service person who doesn't know anything about the program.  This is an interestinig business model. 

I can access the products I have bought on my nook tablet but not on my pc.  Strange thing is that some products I have access to, most I do not.  I am giving them one more day to see if this issue clears up - otherwise I am going to keep calling and calling and calling until they get responsive.  I wonder if the customer service folks understand how frustrating it is to spend an hour on the phone with them and not have ANYTHING to show for it but more frustration and the distinct feeling that they don't care.

Retro 51 Pens "Life's too short for an ugly pen"
Reader 4
EEis4Me

Re: Nook for PC - Unlock Product Issue

Okay, an update.  I finally got to someone in their digital support team and they came up with this simple solution.

On your c: drive under my documents there should be a directory entitled My Barnes & Noble eBooks.

As stressful as this sounds, delete it.

After I did this, I was able to access all the books I had bought with NO product unlock messages.

Yee haw!!

I cannot believe the solution was so simple and has taken four times of calling customer support to get this done.  Thank you to Videsh (?) for helping me!

Retro 51 Pens "Life's too short for an ugly pen"
Reader
Romana_Mom
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I had to reload my Nook PC App and after that some of my books required this authoriztion thing and it didn't matter what I typed in I got rejected.  Once I deleted that file the books opened just fine AND at the spot where I'd been reading before I re dowloaded the Nook PC App.  Go figure.  Thanks again for posting this and saving me all that time on the phone.

New User
headtrip_honey
0 Kudos

You are an absolute life saver.

I was about to kill somebody because customer service is absolutely USELESS.

Oh god you saved my sanity.

New User
Burrgandy
0 Kudos

this worked for me too! I almost had a fit when I couldn't get to my books. Why choose a credit number for verification anyway?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Burrgandy wrote:

this worked for me too! I almost had a fit when I couldn't get to my books. Why choose a credit number for verification anyway?

It's used to create the encryption key to unlock the books because it's something your unlikely to be willing to share with just anyone.

New User
Sandy45NY
0 Kudos

Thank you! This is infuriating. What's wrong, B&N?
Wordsmith
ProfReader

Sandy45NY wrote:
Thank you! This is infuriating. What's wrong, B&N?

This method of  implementing copy protection, which the publishers require, allows you to use your books on any device that reads adobe epubs. That also means that you can share all of your books with anyone that you trust. Copy protection on the Kindle is tied to the device. 

Contributor
lauraqs
0 Kudos

It's April 4, 2013 and I got this error.  You'd think they would fix it by now.

Contributor
Tia_Night
0 Kudos

Thanks that worked
My big concern is if we purchased our books with an old credit card, would it unlock the books?
Frequent Contributor
geertm

Tia_Night wrote:
Thanks that worked
My big concern is if we purchased our books with an old credit card, would it unlock the books?

The encryption is completely enclosed within the ebook file. The ebook file is just like a password protected file.
So after downloading an ebook the credit card does not matter anymore. Even if B&N and the credit card would no longer exist, you will still be able to unlock the book using the credit card number and name.

New User
FanDisappointed
0 Kudos

It's Janaury 2014, same error, same fix worked (deleting the My Barnes & Noble ebooks file).  Really would've thought they would have fixed this bug by now. 

Hey B&N, don't you realize that you are PUNISHING multi-year customers who may not have their credit card numbers from 3-4 years ago.  

Just a thought.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

It is not a bug... This is exactly how the DRM system is designed to function and is part of what allows one to share files with trusted friends/family as one can unlock books by just entering that information. Unlike schemes that use things like the embedded serial number or MAC address of each device to create the key.

Baron Wulfraed
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 211 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: