Contributor
twomaddogz
0 Kudos

Nook for PC won't sync

I've downloaded Nook for PC onto my computer running Windows 7 and have been unable to sync My Library.  I've clicked the "sync" arrow and while it seems to run the process, it doesn't actually pull any books into My Library.  I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the Nook for PC software.

The Nook for PC Log shows these errors:

2010-12-30 06:14:14.00299000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================
2010-12-30 06:14:27.00249000 ERROR [XMLParser.cpp:187] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:XMLParser::errorEncounteredSAX, Message:smileyfrustrated:AX parsing error. Invalid XML.
2010-12-30 06:15:02.00013000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:107] BNClient::smileytongue:roduct:3
2010-12-30 07:43:30.00815000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================
2010-12-30 07:43:40.00568000 ERROR [XMLParser.cpp:187] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:XMLParser::errorEncounteredSAX, Message:smileyfrustrated:AX parsing error. Invalid XML.
2010-12-30 07:43:50.00262000 ERROR [XMLParser.cpp:187] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:XMLParser::errorEncounteredSAX, Message:smileyfrustrated:AX parsing error. Invalid XML.
2010-12-30 07:50:56.00253000 ERROR [XMLParser.cpp:187] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:XMLParser::errorEncounteredSAX, Message:smileyfrustrated:AX parsing error. Invalid XML.

Has anyone experience similar problems or have suggestions as to how to resolve this?

Thanks!

New User
MKusar
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for PC won't sync

anyone?

I don't have those error logs, but judging by the description, I have the same problem. No books appear in my Library, though they have been downloaded, and Nook does seem to be syncing.

Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

go to settings > account settings > sign-out then sign back in

Note: make sure you have an internet connection

Unanimous Decision
Contributor
twomaddogz
0 Kudos

@4yesh4 - Signing out and back in did not resolve the issue.  And yes, I do have an internet connection.  Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
KirstyHaining
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for PC won't sync (one solution)

I also had a problem with nookbooks showing up in my "Nook for PC" application.  I followed the recommended steps (signed out, signed back in, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted the hidden library file, etc. -- not necessarily in that order, since some steps I tried more than once).  I had tried every suggestion so far posted on these boards and also had had a discussion with technical support and had tried and implemented every step they said I should take.  Still no books loading in my library.

My problem is finally resolved, however, and here's the solution that helped me (in case anyone else is struggling with this problem).  It was the account setting to automatically download recent books.  Apparently I had a few problem titles in my library that would not download to the PC for various reasons (for example, one was a nookColor title only).  And that was preventing the software from moving on to the next step of loading my library list into the reader for me to see.  Once I unchecked that automatically download option, everything was fine. 

Now I can either delete the problem titles from my library, or simply manually download all new purchases in future.  I offer this solution FWIW in case anyone else has been struggling with this problem.

cheers,

Kirsty Haining

Seattle, WA

:smileyhappy:

P.S.  I have no idea if any of the steps I tried previously also helped to resolve my libary load problem.  Maybe unchecking that setting wouldn't have worked unless I hadn't already done a fresh install of the software...

Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

did you click on the sync button? (located at the upper right-hand part of the application)

if still doesnt work, trying disabling your firewall and anti-virus, then sign-out, then sign back in again, then tap on the sync button..

Unanimous Decision
Contributor
underarock
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I haven't used Nook for PC for some time, but I wanted to look at some of the Kaplan study guides from the Free Friday, and they wouldn't show in the library.  However, they show in the library on Nook for Android and on my Nook device.

I tried uninstalling & reinstalling, signing in & signing out, and it didn't help. 

Oddly enough, when I sign back in I get a copy of a sample of "Don't Blink" by James Patterson in the library. I don't recall ever downloading this book, and it doesn't show in my library on the web site.  If I hit the sync button, it loads a SECOND copy of this book (or at least a second icon for it), and will happily load as many icons for it into my PC library as I want if I keep hitting sync.

Changing the auto-download recent purchases option does not make a difference.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

4yesh4 wrote:

go to settings > account settings > sign-out then sign back in

Note: make sure you have an internet connection

I was having a problem getting my books to show up on my PC, so went into account settings and saw I was not signed in to the account at all. So entered info and got the following error message:

"We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time - please try again later (Sign in: 1003)"

Is this ACTUALLY likely to resolve itself in a short time?

LisaB

Contributor
twomaddogz
0 Kudos

After unchecking the "automatically download recent purchases" option the PC app still wasn't pulling in new content even when clicking the sync arrow.  I had pretty much given up, so quit fooling with this altogether for a while.  I tried a few other times to sync, signed in signed out, etc, with no success.  Then today, all of the sudden it synced just fine.  Not sure if BN has resolve a glitch out there somewhere or if it's just my lucky day, but I wanted to update the thread in case there are others out there who had given up as well to let you know that it might be working now across the board.

Reader 4
Ruby21

After 5 months of successful use, I had the same problem suddenly develop last week as well as some other weird permutaions. I also run Nook for PC on a Windows 7 machine (home wireless network). I uninstalled & reinstalled the Nook for PC program several times, but the computer wouldn't sync with my web account and display the 200+ books in My Library,  It insisted that I had 0 books.  After spending an hour on the phone with a CS Rep, I made a change to my Windows Firewall Settings.and suddenly all of My Library appeared and successfully re-downloaded itself, including the new book that I had bought while trying to make the stupid thing work. Try this to see if it helps you too, 

In Windows 7 go to the Windows Firewall section under System and Security in the Control Panel. In the left column click on 'Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall'.  In the new window, click on the Change Setting button and then scroll down the list of programs until you find Nook for PC.  Make sure that BOTH columns are checked for the Home/Work (private) and Public, and then click OK.  it was after I added the tick in the Public column that my Nook for PC suddenly started to work when I re-opened the program again.

So far, so good anyway.  Good Luck!

Ruby21

Inspired Contributor
logdog
0 Kudos

I hadn't used Nook for PC in a while.  When I tried it today, I found zero books in My Library and can't successfully sync.  I have Windows 7 and a good internet connection.  I've tried all the solutions suggested here without success.  I've changed user settings, signed out/in, changed my firewall, looked for updates - still nothing.

Any other ideas?

New User
jpjammer
0 Kudos

New User
jpjammer
0 Kudos

New User
tommygun
0 Kudos

It sounds like some of you have followed the directions on rooting on Nookdevs. That's all fine, but if you edit the host file on your PC the way described and don't restore the file to normal, you'll never be able to run Nook for PC on that computer.  If you're getting "Don't Blink" over and over it means you're still talking to the fake B&N server required for the rooting procedure.

New User
ander454
0 Kudos

Thank God for this post!  Took me 2 hours to finally get a book on my PC and read it.  Thanks!

Reader 4
mc-reader
0 Kudos

To Ruby21 - thank you for the Windows 7 instructions to change firewall settings.  I followed your directions and then restarted my computer and now Nook for PC is working properly.  Funny thing, though, the Nook for PC wasn't even listed in my list of allowed programs; so I clicked on the button in the lower right corner of the window that listed allowed programs.  This button said "add another program" and it took me to the list of programs I have on my computer.  I clicked on Nook for PC and it was added to the firewall list.  Again, thank you.  I would not have thought about doing this.

Mary

aka mcreader

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 635 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: