Frequent Contributor
ahintz
0 Kudos

Nook for iPad - Retina Display

I just purchased a new iPad and noticed that the Nook app hasn't been updated for the retina display yet. Text is significantly blurrier than it is the iBooks or Kindle apps. Is there a timeline for updating the Nook app? Thanks!
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for iPad - Retina Display

Remember that Apple never allows developers to see their new devices before release, so it would not have been possible for BN to start until they see the new iPad..

New User
Fredipus
0 Kudos

The Kindle app was updated, so I doubt that it is exceptionally difficult.

They also must be doing something non-standard in the first place, as my Stanza reader (which, sadly, will never get an update again) is crisp and clear with no update at all.

New User
Eagle1313
0 Kudos

The Nook app, like the Kindle app, does its own text rendering (unlike many other apps, which just use the iPad text functions). I'd imagine it would only take a few weeks for B&N to release an update.
New User
CharlesSaint007
0 Kudos

Well, I can say that they lost at least one book sale as a result of the delayed retina update. I have bought books at both the Kindle and nook bookstores, and since getting the new iPad, I have only bought books from kindle. Text on the nook app looks downright terrible on the new iPad. They need to get a retina update out ASAP. iPads are selling like hotcakes, and when a new user is trying to make a book ecosystem buying choice for a new device (iBooks, kindle, nook), nook is looking like a terrible choice for new iPad owners. I am midway through A Moat In God's eye on nook, but I haven't read a page since getting the new iPad because it's such a miserable experience.
Frequent Contributor
ahintz
0 Kudos

Well, B&N released a retina version of the nook app today, but the problem is that the font sizes are out of whack. The smallest size is still fairly large, and the larger sizes quickly get comicly large. I hope B&N will release an update with better font size management soon! However, at least the app is usable and I can finish my already-purchased nook books. I will have to consider how important reading in my nook and my iPad is going forward to decide whether I purchase from B&N or iBooks.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Just got a new release that claims to resolve the retina display. Since I have the iPad 2 I have no way to know.
New User
DLAllen
0 Kudos

I just bought the new iPad for multiple reasons and just downloaded the nook app as well. I have my settings on the smallest font and STILL the font is huge! Please let me know if there is a fix for this!

I am terribly disappointed. I have bought 2 nooks and love them so this is a HUGE disappointment! Have I wasted tons of money in books???I do not see any need to carry the nook AND the iPad and would be very unhappy if I had to.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DLAllen wrote:

I just bought the new iPad for multiple reasons and just downloaded the nook app as well. I have my settings on the smallest font and STILL the font is huge! Please let me know if there is a fix for this!

I am terribly disappointed. I have bought 2 nooks and love them so this is a HUGE disappointment! Have I wasted tons of money in books???I do not see any need to carry the nook AND the iPad and would be very unhappy if I had to.

What is your definition of huge? I have it set to the 2nd smallest which works well for me. I have the same book on the NST set at the third from the largest. Maybe it's the books as I have to adjust font sizes for different books.
Frequent Contributor
ahintz
0 Kudos

I've included examples from the Nook, iBooks, and Kindle apps below to show the difference in the smallest font size between them. I would love to have "small" be more like iBooks or Kindle, but to be honest I would love to have an option that was smaller then any of these.

Nook:

Nook.png

iBooks:

iBooks.png

Kindle:

Kindle.png

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,083 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: