Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

PC Ereader, books don't import

I have quite a collection of .pdb ebooks, having had the Ereader.com version of the software for ages now.  I'm testing out the B&N version before getting my nook.

When I try to add one of my previously-owned books to my library, B&N Ereader goes through the motions, asks me if I want to import the book to my "locker", and even asks for my unlock information (name and cc#) ... but the book never shows up in the library.

Can someone point me to a step-by-step to show me if I'm doing something wrong?  I'm just clicking to add the book and following the reader's cues.

Also, if I'd like to simply move/copy my books into a folder that the B&N Ereader can read, what folder am I looking for?  I've tested it with "My B&N Ebooks" but no joy.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: PC Ereader, books don't import

Were these eBooks purchased from Barnes & Noble?  The eReader for the PC is only compatible with eBooks from Barnes & Noble.com. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You can't do that.

You need to download the eReader.com reader as well.  

It will read eReader.com books as well as Fictionwise.com books, and perhaps a few more.

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

I've used the eReader.com version of the software for years.  Thus, have many books already to play/test with.

Some of my books that were downloaded from other sources, and some that were formatted as .pdbs by myself from text version/Gutenberg, did import fine.  Others did not. 

Most of the ones that didn't import were password-locked.  The B&N reader asked me for my CC#, etc, and made as if importing, but the book did not show up after I was given the message that the import was complete.

The vice-versa works fine ... I can read B&N books on the eReader version of the software perfectly.

Semi-related question, so I'll just extend this here ... I will still be able to read all my books on the nook, yes?  The docs state that it will read any book of various formats (pdb, epub, pdf) as long as they're sideloaded into my My Documents directory on the nook drive. The main reason I went with the nook over other devices was that the docs state I'll be able to read all of the books I've already purchased through eReader.com, formatted myself, etc., as well as new purchases from B&N.

I've also seen, on a tech blog that was doing a lengthy review of the nook, that the writer was able to put .prc (mobipocket) versions of books in his My Documents folder and his nook read them, too.  Couldn't display graphics, etc, but it did pull in the text.  I don't see that as a supported format ... was this a fluke?  I see that many here use Calibre to convert books for their nook devices, yet I don't believe Calibre will convert password-locked .prc books, either. 

It would be nice if Calibre would do that, asking for the same password information that the reader softwares ask for, since the book is bought and paid for, but I can certainly understand how that might be asking a bit much of the programmers.  :-)

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Have 140+ ereader.com PDB that I imported without any problem.  Also have some PDB without DRM from various other sources that imported successful.

You might want to go ereader.com and download the books that you have been having problems with again.  e.g the copies of the pdb I have for my old PALM that are backed up on the PC are not the same as the original and don't quite work correctly if you try to use them.  Ereader.com, Fictionwise and B&N all have always allowed you to redownload books you have purchased.  And sometimes they have corrected books that have had major/minor errors.

New User
jpharper999
0 Kudos

I own a Toshiba Thrive Android Tablet and an HTC Inspire Android Phone. I converted over to android over a year and half ago from the reply to this particular forum thread. At first I went to ereader dot com and tried to get them to work with me. Their "BETA" version in November of last year had been at version 1.0.39 for lord only knows how long. Now, I believe it has been it has been at that version for over a year and a half.

Here is the response they replied to me with.

"Hi John, Our Android version of eReader is a Beta version and does not support Honeycomb, the 3.0 and higher versions. We have not announced plans for any new version of Android eReader. I will pass your feedback onto our development team.

Thanks! Best Regards,

Lynn e Reader.com Support Team"

OK... As I had been back and forth with them through a few emails, In November of 2011, I decided to approach Barnes and Noble on the issue. Barnes and Noble bought both fictionwise and ereader.com in 2009 by the way. Barnes and Noble's reply was polite but to the point on the issue. Here is the meat of the reply:

"Although Fictionwise and eReader.com are Barnes & Noble companies, they maintain separate download and customer service procedures.

While I understand your frustration with their applications for your Android device, unfortunately there is nothing we can do in regards updating the Beta versions."

The previous quote was received from:

Michael

Customer Service Management - Digital Support

Barnes & Noble

Conculsion: Basically those of us that can not get the books to open/unlock in ereader dot com's "BETA" app (the one they appear to not give a hoot about as it has been in "BETA" for at least a year and a half) are stuck and have no way of opening our books on our android device. Ah Well... Live and Learn. From other people I have conversed with, the only conclusion that we subscribers can draw is that ereader dot com has no intention of bringing their Android Software up to date. If anyone knows of a way I can import my books successfully on my PC in to another format that I can open on my Andriod Tablet, I would love to know about it. It would be greatly appreciated.

John P Harper

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

jpharper999 wrote:

I own a Toshiba Thrive Android Tablet and an HTC Inspire Android Phone. I converted over to android over a year and half ago from the reply to this particular forum thread. At first I went to ereader dot com and tried to get them to work with me. Their "BETA" version in November of last year had been at version 1.0.39 for lord only knows how long. Now, I believe it has been it has been at that version for over a year and a half.

Here is the response they replied to me with.

"Hi John, Our Android version of eReader is a Beta version and does not support Honeycomb, the 3.0 and higher versions. We have not announced plans for any new version of Android eReader. I will pass your feedback onto our development team.

Thanks! Best Regards,

Lynn e Reader.com Support Team"

OK... As I had been back and forth with them through a few emails, In November of 2011, I decided to approach Barnes and Noble on the issue. Barnes and Noble bought both fictionwise and ereader.com in 2009 by the way. Barnes and Noble's reply was polite but to the point on the issue. Here is the meat of the reply:

"Although Fictionwise and eReader.com are Barnes & Noble companies, they maintain separate download and customer service procedures.

While I understand your frustration with their applications for your Android device, unfortunately there is nothing we can do in regards updating the Beta versions."

The previous quote was received from:

Michael

Customer Service Management - Digital Support

Barnes & Noble

Conculsion: Basically those of us that can not get the books to open/unlock in ereader dot com's "BETA" app (the one they appear to not give a hoot about as it has been in "BETA" for at least a year and a half) are stuck and have no way of opening our books on our android device. Ah Well... Live and Learn. From other people I have conversed with, the only conclusion that we subscribers can draw is that ereader dot com has no intention of bringing their Android Software up to date. If anyone knows of a way I can import my books successfully on my PC in to another format that I can open on my Andriod Tablet, I would love to know about it. It would be greatly appreciated.

John P Harper

You will have to strip the DRM and convert them to epub. 

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:14 members 319 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: