Reader 4
pculp1
0 Kudos

PC and Mac software inconsistencies

I am really disappointed that the PC and Mac software is so inconsistent.  Amazon has released Kindle software that looks and operates the same on both platforms AND it syncs to the last page read in the cloud.  Hello, I'm going to be using that software as I like to read at work on my PC and at home on my Mac!  At least the PC world got a B&N Desktop Reader update; Macs are still using the old eReader software and have no access to their libraries from within the application!  Do you guys only have like 1 programmer?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: PC and Mac software inconsistencies

@pculp1,

I am looking into this for you and apologize for any frustration.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
evanreader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Michael,

Your response to the original post (posted in November 2009!) was on March 1, 2010. It's now almost May 2010, almost two months later. Are you still just "looking into it"? Geez, I have the B&N eReader at work and it's light-years ahead of the Mac one, which BTW, your website says works just like the PC version! I am considering buying a nook to replace my Kindle2, but I don't think B&N cares enough about me as a Mac user to make that viable. I can't believe to tell you how frustrated I am. I even had to fire up Firefox on my Mac because your interface (for posting replies) doesn't even work on Safari!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@evanreader,

We are currently working on a new version, but do not have an ETA and apologize for the delay on our end.  We have been working on this and was trying to get and ETA for you, but unfortunately cannot at present.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader 4
pculp1
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking the time to check.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

"Hello PCulp1:

I’m a Mac user myself, and share your desire to have a fantastic Macintosh BN eReader app. Please be assured that we’re working on a major update. While we have not yet announced a release date for the Mac application, it will most definitely have full feature parity with our PC version. As you know, you can download eBooks from your library on BN.com, and our existing Mac software will continue to work for you.  Thanks your voicing your interest in Mac. We hear you!

Best,
Douglas Gottlieb
VP, Digital Products
Barnes & Noble | BN.com"

The above is statement is from our VP of Digital Products.

FYI.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
JusMee
0 Kudos

I just thought I'd Chime in on this .

I've been using The B&N software now for at least a year because I like it's interface SO much better on my iphone and having the 2 page mode on the Mac desktop version is a big plus too. (I use a "modbook" and it almost gives the illusion of having an overweight iPad) But I'm seriously longing for something like Whispersync. And from what I can tell I'm missing out on much more than that.

Most mac users are prettY brand loyal when it is all said and done but when companies start ignoring us it becomes a matter of principle.

A visable effort ie a list of new features we Can expect and/or a near solid release date might go alongway in keeping Customers won over from Kindle and give those of us thinking of jumping ship over to iBooks something to think about.

New User
Nikke
0 Kudos

I have to agree with this. I was previously a PC user and just switched to mac. I had a BN ereader on my PC and I loved it. It worked well with my nook and was easy. But with the mac version every time I want to read a book, I have to get my credit card to check the number for the unlock code. I would really appreciate a newer version.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I can sympathize with the Mac users having this problem.  I hope there will be software to take care of this problem very soon.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Reader
MsMichelleRenee
0 Kudos

Honestly, admins, this topic was posted in April of LAST YEAR. That's almost 10 months ago. Are you honestly telling us that not one programmer at B&N has gotten the memo that Mac users out there are living in the dark ages (or, much more likely, uninstalling your sub-standard software)? This is kind of ridiculous, if you ask me.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BN appears to be stuck in an outdated PC only model!

We have meager Mac support and none at for Linux.  How is it that a small operation like Calibre can run on all three platforms and BN pretends that it is a big deal to implement.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I have both a mac and a pc and must agree with the grumbles here regarding the lack of support for macs. I've had issues with both pc and mac apps. FInally resolved the pc issue after 4 months, but the mac BN ereader app still sucks.  It's been a year since the original post!

I've used NookStudy on my Mac since it came out because it's far superior than the ereader software for mac. I at least have access to my online library with a nice interface.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 210 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: