New User
smahoney
0 Kudos

PC eReader Issues

I downloaded the eReader software yesterday, after buying my first ever eBook online.  I downloaded the application, and was surprised to see that the "The Daily" tab was blank, and the library also showed as empty.  I figured maybe it was because the software downloaded incorrectly, so I redownloaded the program, but no joy.

When I look at My Library online, it shows the book, but I have no idea how to make it appear in my Library on the program on my PC.  My first inclination would be that the program is having trouble connecting to the B&N servers, but when I hit the refresh button in the library, it shows "Authenticating...Retrieving Data...Synchronization Complete."  To me anyways, that sounds like it is connecting to the server well, but for some reason it's not finding the books.

Finally, thinking that maybe the book was bought incorrectly, I downloaded the Blackberry application to see if that would work.  It did - perfectly.  I logged in, entered my credit card number, and the book appeared, ready to read.

How do I find the book on my PC?  Help!

Thanks.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: PC eReader Issues

[ Edited ]

I find that sometimes after syncing the PC ereader software that new purchases do not show up in the library also.  What I do is click on the Recent/Title/Author button and then the new titles appear.  I don't know if you done this but if not, give it a try.  If it does work then just let your mouse hover over the book, a dialog box will appear with options for reading, downloading etc...

New User
stewart55024
0 Kudos

There is a long list of problems with the e-reader for the pc.  Whatever you do dont call the customer service line.  I was on hold for 90 minutes why they tried to fix a problem.

New User
smahoney
0 Kudos

I've tried resorting by author, title, etc - no joy. 

I emailed customer support yesterday, and they have yet to respond.  I'm not too hopeful about the response.

Am I not the only person having this problem? Is the actual software flawed?  If anyone on here has any insight (or fixes), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
vicgems
0 Kudos

B&N should be embarassed regarding the half-assed program they call their "eReader".  What a pile of sh*t it is.  Today, I was given a pop-up notification that a "newer" version of eReader was available...so like a twit - I downloaded it.  Lo & behold, when it finished...ALL 304 titles of my ebooks have disappeared...it now shows I have zero ebooks.  I'm PISSED off.  I've never had issues with any other online ebook retailer (Amazon, BoB, eBooks, Fictionwise, Diesel, etc) but somehow B&N causes me trouble at least once per month (last month - my credit card was charged for 12 "free" ebooks!).  Did they hire the cheapest IT personnel possible - or is it serviced by a 3rd grade beginner PC class? 

One more issue, B&N, and I'm outta here. There are plenty of other ebook retailers out there who don't seem to have the incompetence angle you're going for. 

New User
OldGeezerWNC
0 Kudos

Ok I guess I should have read all these before thinking I was alone in problems. As you can see from the name. I consider myself an old geezer. So laugh all you want about grand pa not being able to do all this stuff. It doesn't matter. The name of the game is Customer Service.  I am the center of my universe, this recliner is my life. My computer is my book and window out. I've had two open heart surgeries, 6 bypasses and heart valve replacement. I'm not ready to look at the daisys from the root side. So my ereader keeps me active. When all my books disappear that adds to the stress level. Ok nuff ranting this morning.   Thanks for listening Rick

YGG
Reader 2
YGG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem and I am running Windows XP. Tried reinstalling the software and still, 0 books. Sigh.

I just saw this on a different thread and it worked for me. I deleted the db file, opened up ereader, signed in, and all my books are there.

Note it seems to work if you delete the database and let it rebuild it.

\users\YOURID\AppData\Roaming|\Barnes & Noble\BNDesktoReader  file ClientAPI.db

Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl
0 Kudos

If this is a recent issue for the PC software go to this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/BN-eReader-Software-QA-Support/BN-eReader-2-5-1-198-update-fo...

It will "fix" it.

Reader
cynmarie
0 Kudos

I was able to get through to tech support quickly this morning and they stayed on the line while I uninstalled the B&N Reader and then reinstalled it. At reinstall everything came back.

New User
suz5
0 Kudos

I had the exact same issue. I use windows 7.

I emailed customer support and got a reply to go into C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming and then " delete the Barnes and Noble Folder. Then Launch the program and register successfully."

Well...that would be great but that exact file does not exist. Crap!

Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

suz5 wrote:

I had the exact same issue. I use windows 7.

I emailed customer support and got a reply to go into C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming and then " delete the Barnes and Noble Folder. Then Launch the program and register successfully."

Well...that would be great but that exact file does not exist. Crap!

On the other thread someone said that it is hidden, so here's what I did.

1. I went to my Start menu, and typed AppData in the search box.

2. When AppData came up I clicked on it

3. Then I clicked on Roaming

4. Then I clicked on the Barnes and Noble folder.

5. When you see ClientAPI.db delete it, and then you're eReader should bring everything back up again.

New User
Lee337
0 Kudos

Uninstall eReader from your computer then re-install it.  This will refresh you library list.

New User
suz5
0 Kudos

Oddly the file doesn't exist when I do that search. Good grief! I will uninstall and reinstall one more time before I give up on this.  This ereader is not worth the trouble!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

suz5 wrote:

Oddly the file doesn't exist when I do that search. Good grief! I will uninstall and reinstall one more time before I give up on this.  This ereader is not worth the trouble!

Remember its a hidden file.  You need to set the windows browser (in windows vista and 7 thats on in organize, file and search options, view tab, advanced setting, hidden files and folders, show hidden files, folders and drive.

After setting that its very easy to find in the directories under your userid.  The technique of uninstalling reinstalling does not work all the time.  Deleting the database always works.

New User
Friscomae
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, my books disappeared after updating to the new ereader this morning. I'm using Windows 7. My start menu doesn't bring up the appdata. I had to go manually to C:/, then "user", then my user name (not a file called USER NAME which had me stumped at first), then "appdata", then "roaming". The Barnes & Noble folder was there. I deleted it. Reopened the e-reader and it had me relog-in with my user name and password. When I did the books were all back where they belonged.  Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me a few minutes ago. I just downloaded the updated PC ereader version and all my books disappeared.

I have windows xp.

What I did was go to the start button and right clicked and selected "explore all users".

On the left hand side window pane, I then clicked the folder that had my name on it. When that folder opened, I found the folder that said "application data". I opened that folder and I found the B&N folder inside the application folder. I deleted the B&N folder. I then launched the B&N ereader and it has me sign in to my account. It took a few minutes to connect to the B&N server, but when it did, it downloaded my entire ebook library.

Hope this helps anyone out there who is still stuck.

New User
KMLy
0 Kudos

Thank you so very much for this post!  It works!  My books, and more importantly all of my notes, are back.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 62 members 254 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: