New User
DavidR69
0 Kudos

Re: Please add an e-reader for Linux users!

Wine will not help in some cases. Although the app works on both of my Linux installations, we use proxy servers at work, and there is no easy way to configure proxy servers in Wine. Apparently, the Nook reader relies on Windows' network settings, and there is no good way to do that in Wine.

New User
SpeedKreature
0 Kudos

This is another bump for a native nook client on Linux.  I will say that there is one significant hurdle in a monetary paradigm:  cost.  While a universal install can be made by packing it in a generic .bin executable, a 64-bit and 32-bit variant will be necessary unless it was feasible to do this using python (because Java isn't really a good option).  Each binary that needs to be maintained adds to the cost of offering this service.  While there many of us on Linux demanding a native nook client, I would be surprised if there are enough of us to make it worth their while.  To that end, I'd be willing to pay a $10 fee for use of a Linux client to subsidize the cost of development.

For me, the Windows reader installed fine in Wine, I just can't sign in which obviously makes this application useless.

I own a nook (Gen 1 w/ 3G) and I love it.  I also use nook on my Android tablet and on my Windows workstation for a handful of titles that are work relevant. 

But my notebook is with me wherever I go (even more often than the hardware nook), and my laptop runs Linux (Fedora 15).

Reader
CMAnnapolis
0 Kudos

***Nook for PC working well under Wine 1.22 w/ 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 ***

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Originally, based on reports that NOOK did not work under Wine, I attempted to use eCalibre.  This worked fine with samples, but could not handle DRM.  I played with some scripts that claimed to circumvent DRM, then installed NOOK PC under Wine and it is working great.

When you download the executable, you may need to make it executable (for Unix noobs:  $chmod 755 <filename> )

After that simple step it installed under Wine and NOOKPC is working great.  No problems connecting to B&N server, downloading purchases, and DRM works great.

New User
southpaw118
0 Kudos

Let me just add my name to this. I really can't say anything else. I having shopping at B&N since the 1960's. I bought a Noon instead of a Kindle because B&N are Booksellers, real Booksellers and Amazon is not. 

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Here's an alternative for those unfamiliar with using the command line.  On some Linux systems (Ubuntu), you can make it executable like this:

-Right click on the filename.exe and select Properties

-Select the Permissions tab

-Check the box at the bottom  " Execute  - Allow executing file as program

Reader
krustybaguette
0 Kudos

@ Jennifer_H

The following was posted way backi in July of 2009. Here we are over two years later and there is as yet NO Nook reader app for Linux. Yet as it is pointed out in posts on this thread the Nook is Android (i.e. Linux based). B&N is happy to used the Android version of Linux software on its device yet fails to provide an ereader for Linux while providing them for just about everyone else????

Thanks to users like WJanowski (see page 5 of this thread) for finding a way to make the Windows app work under WINE but the lack of a native Linux app is disturbing. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if B&N is withholding the release of a Linux app because if Linux users could use the free app to read their B&N epubs then they would be unlikely to purchase a Nook. Aside (to all cheapskates like me): Admit it, ["free" as in free beer] has a lot to do with why you run Linux. You could argue that Windows, Mac, Blackberry, etc. users might not buy a Nook either, but the cheapskate factor is probably a little stronger in those of us who use Linux :smileyvery-happy:

Anyway I just got through a trial run of the Nook app on my Android phone and I am convinced. I was looking at trying to get one of the HP Touchpads but I thinki it will be a Nook. Haven't decided on Color or B&W but either way the Nook is a good buy.

Jennifer_H wrote:

Thank you for your posts.  B&N believes that you should be able to read your eBooks on any device yo want.  We will be adding new devices over the coming weeks/months and we will report back as new devices become available.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Thanks!

Jennifer

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Just installed NOOK for PC under WINE on my Linux desktop.

It's a little slow, but otherwise runs fine.

Reader
_NM_
0 Kudos

A Linux version would be very useful.

I have changed my purchasing habits and I am content.

Instead of buying proprietary Nook books fro BN, I purchase eBooks (preferably the ePub version) directly form publishers. Calibre is vastly superior as a book reader and I do not feel bound to a single company or reader. However, I love the BN devices and the fact they allow viewing ePub books. As a family we frequently visit their store (and public libraries) and we all enjoy reading "real" books.

The truth is, you should be able to read your legally purchased e-books without DRM restrictions imposed by BN. BN already charges a premium for eBooks (just compare with Amazon or direct publisher prices).

I just looked at my collection of purchased DRM-free books, and there are currently 48. That means I would have purchased 48 books directly from BN if their terms were acceptable to me. If you are curious, http://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/about#drm will tell you more about DRM.

My books are 90% of a technical nature, so your mileage may vary. 

Contributor
Certifried
0 Kudos

krustybaguette wrote:

@ Jennifer_H

The following was posted way backi in July of 2009. Here we are over two years later and there is as yet NO Nook reader app for Linux. Yet as it is pointed out in posts on this thread the Nook is Android (i.e. Linux based). B&N is happy to used the Android version of Linux software on its device yet fails to provide an ereader for Linux while providing them for just about everyone else????

First, thanks to all the posters who got this working under Wine or a VM and posted their results.

Second, to Krusty, while the Android OS is Linux "based", the applications are run from a Dalvik VM (virtual machine). Here's some reading for you, hope it helps bottle that conspiracy theorist back in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_%28software%29

I've lost faith that B&N will get an e-reader running on Linux, so the wine and VM users are much appreciated. There's also an effort called Alien Dalvik, but is taking a long time to get all the issues sorted out (and it's commercial). Ubuntu was working on something to run 'droid apps natively, but I haven't seen anything on that recently (admittedly though, I use RHT instead).

Reader
ronsmith42
0 Kudos

I would like to add my voice to the others on this topic and please ask you to release your Nook Reader software for Linux just as you have for Windows and Mac OS.

New User
atai
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just for your general information, since people sometimes have trouble with the Nook Reader for PC running on top of GNU/Linux (commonly Linux) using Wine (some networking error or such), Linux users can go to

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp

and download Nook Study for PC.

that installs and works fine running on top of Wine on both Fedora and Ubuntu. Nook Study also supports the "page perfect" books that the Nook PC Reader software did not support

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: